Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OLD GRUMPS CARRY GUN CHALLENGE

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I know. I really like my 1911 but if I don't start improving soon I will probaby either sell or trade for another 9mm. It does me know good to have a pistol that I can not reliably hit the target with.
    Before you do that have a known good shooter try it. It could be the gun and it might be an easy fix. Different bushing, different recoil spring, different sights, fitted grips or just some serious dry fire practice with snap caps.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

My last entry in the Challenge match. It was 65 degrees, 12mph wind with gusts of 15-18 mph from behind me towards the target so other than blowing the target stand over twice it was not a factor. Slightly foggy and overcast, the llight was perfect for shooting.

Guns used were my:
    S&W M41 with Remington target ammo. (standard velocity, 40 gr LRN.
    Dan Wesson with .357 mag, UMC 125 gr, JSP
    Colt 1911A1 NM with 45 ACP Fiocchi 230 gr FMJ

All targets shot 2 handed slow fire because I wanted my last set of targets to look decent. I didn't care about score so I didn't bother scoring them.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    So far we have 50 yards, 22 rifle and open sights, anything else? If not I will make it happen in January with a standard NRA 50 yard bullseye target.
    I don't have a .22 rifle, so I'll be sitting the next challenge out.
    Good luck guys.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    I don't have a .22 rifle, so I'll be sitting the next challenge out.
    Good luck guys.
    So what do you have, the floor is still open for suggestions.

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

So what do you have, the floor is still open for suggestions.
    We could do another battle rifle challenge. The one we did a couple of years ago was pretty fun. I used my 1943 M1 Carbine, other weapons used were M1 Garands, 1903 Springfields, and some European arms that I cannot remember. We could even use newer weapons. I just prefer open sights to optics and because of space limitations I can't shoot more than 50 yards. Of course, if more people would be coaxed into shooting at longer ranges, don't let me slow you down. Let's just get some shooting in!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Before you do that have a known good shooter try it. It could be the gun and it might be an easy fix. Different bushing, different recoil spring, different sights, fitted grips or just some serious dry fire practice with snap caps.
    I have thought about upgrading my sights, or trading my Springfield 1911 GI Issue in for the new Springfield 1911 Range Master. I would really like to shoot one first so I know if it is me or the gun. I will most likely either go out with someone who is a good pistol shot, or rent the Range Master, before I decide what to do.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

How about two classes both iron sights, both shot at 50 yards at 50 yard small bore targets? 1 class rim fire and the other class battle rifle. You could shoot one or the other or both if you so desire.

THUCYDIDES.

How about two classes both iron sights, both shot at 50 yards at 50 yard small bore targets? 1 class rim fire and the other class battle rifle. You could shoot one or the other or both if you so desire.
    I like it. Is anyone else reading this? If not, might be time for a new thread.

NRA Endowment Member

I like it. Is anyone else reading this? If not, might be time for a new thread.
    I'll set it up after Christmas and close this thread then. In the mean time if anybody is interested they still have 27 days to get a target or two or three posted. for this challenge match.

THUCYDIDES.

I'll set it up after Christmas and close this thread then. In the mean time if anybody is interested they still have 27 days to get a target or two or three posted. for this challenge match.
    I'll shoot the December match when it stops raining.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I'll shoot the December match when it stops raining.
    I'm near Seattle. If I waited to shoot the December match till it stopped raining, I wouldn't shoot till May.

NRA Endowment Member

I'm near Seattle. If I waited to shoot the December match till it stopped raining, I wouldn't shoot till May.
    I couldn't live like that.
    It's a wonder that mold and other crap doesn't kill everyone that lives there in that wet environment.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I couldn't live like that.
    It's a wonder that mold and other crap doesn't kill everyone that lives there in that wet environment.
    This is who lives in Seattle:

Mold is not a problem, the crustaceans eat it off of them as they commute to work.
    Last edited by old Grump; 12-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.

THUCYDIDES.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234