Thread: GEW 98 Bayo Lug

GEW 98 Bayo Lug

I've been helping friend restore a nearly destroyed GEW '98 Efort 1907 rifle. The last piece missing is the bayo lug to fill the stock fiting, before we recreate a non functioning brass/bronze unit to fit the forestock space I'm wondering what was the original like? Is it the same or similar as K model then of course is it the short or long version. The rifle will never see a bayo and it may be more cost effective to cut/sand down a surplus lug.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

I am sitting in my angry chair!

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    Interesting site but this is a 98 model, could have been a or b model with bastard GEW98 stock. The barrel has been cut down at some point in past with front sight brazed on perfectly, by a pro no less. We found a GEW stock to replace the sanded/cut down unit that came with online, a refinnish jobber. At this point the barrel/receiver/mag/rearsight and bolt are the only pieces original to the rifle. Lots of small screws replaced etc etc. I'm probably taking this to much of an extreme but then again we are considering ordering a surplus lugg, copy it a little over sized in bronze and fit it to the rifle. Some of the trim pieces we have remade in silcobronze because we had it around and it looks good in brunsh finish on the natural/clear stock.
    Thanks for the link

If you click on this link the gentlemans email is near the bottom of the page. I am sure he could answer your question.

http://webferret.search.com/click?wf....html,,yahoo,1
    Last edited by aliceinchains; 08-23-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Last edited by aliceinchains; 08-23-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i have one but couldnt tell you. there waqs none there when i got it.

it was horribly butchered from someone trying to sporterize it, so i just used it as the base action for a sporter 06. was a shame to fuck up an older and somewhat rare rifle, but this one was beyond saving, and the $25 price tag made it too good to pass up as a project action.

Thanks Alice

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    Whaooo Alice thanks for the pics. Haven't quite seen it like that. Looks like the long lugg would be correct, not that its needed for this rifle. I'm intrigued more about mausers only due to this build. The lugg is the last missing piece and may or may not be cutdown but its not my decision.

Deth, have you beat. this unit was picked up off the bottom of a lake 50 year ago, once oiled and handed down through the family as a fireplace ornament. Strangely enough it fires just fine and wasn't really that bad off other than the stock, missing small parts, mag and previous barrel cut down. Working on this was the first I ever saw of the GEW emblem and the rich mauer history.