Thread: How's This For a Garand Modification

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

How's This For a Garand Modification

http://shuffsparkerizing.com/

A Garand with a 16" barrel weighing in at just over 7.5 lbs. A buddy is looking at getting one as a brush deer rifle.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I don't know. It seems like a solution in search of a problem.

If your buddy wants a bush rifle like that why not get a M1A Scout? .308 closely duplicates the power and velocity of the 30-06. There is a range of quality hunting ammunition for the .308 just like the 30-06. Less powder in the case could mean you lose less performance by chopping the barrel of a .308 rather than a 30-06.

Plus, a collectable rifle that is not made anymore does not need to be sacrificed on the alter of Bubba to make it.
    This is just my opinion and it's entirely correct.

tag

I prefer the M1A (if I ever decide to own any firearms), because it is product improved Garand, but to each his own. That shop charges $875 to modify a Garand to take M14 mags (and install a .308 barrel). That's a major part of the cost of a new M1A.
    Last edited by Texas Soldado; 03-29-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

Nuts the link didn't work for me. I take it some one is charging a lot to have your M1 convereted to 308, with a 16" barrel while modifing the rifle to take M-14 mags?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Nuts the link didn't work for me. I take it some one is charging a lot to have your M1 convereted to 308, with a 16" barrel while modifing the rifle to take M-14 mags?
    That's right and I say

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    That is a modification you can make, but they also make the fabled "Tanker Garand". My budy is looking at them because he doesn't want the .308, don't exactly know why. Sorry the link doesn't work, I just tried it and it worked for me and that pretty much has used up my knowledge of using and posting links. Try doing a Google search for Shuff's Parkerizing. I wouldn't pay for it, but the pictures they have are pretty nice. However, after paying $600+ for the rifle I don't think I would want to spend another $800+ to customize it.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Sorry the link doesn't work, I just tried it and it worked for me and that pretty much has used up my knowledge of using and posting links.
    No worries, not your fault. It is probably my computer. It does wierd things from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Try doing a Google search for Shuff's Parkerizing.
    Good idea that worked thanks.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

I don't think that I care for the shortend versions. I do like the looks of the M-14 magazine conversion though. I would love to handle one and see how it feels in the hands. I am not thinking I would want to plunk down the amount of change though that is required for conversion in addation to the cost of the rifle.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

For $2000 you end up with a forged receiver scout length 308 caliber rifle taking easy to obtain M14 mags. For some it's worth it I guess, I know guys who spend alot to get a forged receiver on their M1A's. This would probably end up costing no more and have the extra benefit of being different some like.

It's not for me though

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

That is not what I think a Garand should look like. Shortened or with a detachable magazine.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Past AMTU armorer and JAG weapons malf investigastor can do you one:
    http://www.tanksrifleshop.com/

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

A different but interesting approach.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I just hope nobody is sending their WWII garand's to be chopped up. If it's a none war, I think it looks pretty cool.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

If I still had my Garand, I would get the mag-fed modification only because the clip would not stay in the damned thing, I paid $350 for it in 1990 and it needed a new barrel after Blue Sky had done its worst with the stamp.

I got rid of it so it's not relevant to me anymore. I have an M1A, I would get a brush gun or SOCOM/SOCOM II instead now. I liked the handling characteristics of the M1 slightly more than the M1A. The variable mag sizes trumps the clip feeding, even though I could charge the M1's mag quicker than change the M1A's mags. The fact my M1 never worked right was a deal breaker though and I don't miss it wonderful ergonomics or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    I liked the handling characteristics of the M1 slightly more than the M1A. The variable mag sizes trumps the clip feeding, even though I could charge the M1's mag quicker than change the M1A's mags.
    I feel the same way. I think the M1 balances and feels better than the M1A. Though it sure is nice to have the higher capacity mags, of the M1A. Sorry to hear the M1 didn't work out for you.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

I came close to buying a Tanker back in 1994 or so. I passed because it seemed high at the time. A .30-06 has a heck of a muzzle flash (the unburned powder) with an 18.5" barrel.
    I love Garands but in an abbreviated carbine, if you stay with .30-06, for a mag conversion you would have to use BAR mags (hard to come by). If you re-chamber to .308 you still have a longer receiver and op rod than an M1A.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

Not Bad

Well it looks.......different...not bad tho

http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=...mpaign=p025017
    Last edited by fivehundred333; 04-06-2012 at 01:14 AM.

I may be in the minority here... but I actually kinda like it. Compact, Handy, Reliable, Powerful and made of GI spec Forged parts (as opposed top SI's cast stuff).
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton