Thread: Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911 refinish project

Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911 refinish project

I just bought a Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911 of West Hurley, NY manufacture( pre 1999) I am trying to identify the the finish that is on it. It looks like a matte nickel coating. I had someone refer to it as a P1 coating. It is wearing and flaking off in spots. Appears as though it my have been a electro-plated or possibly flame sprayed. I would like to remove the finish currently on it an apply a Brownells gun-kote epoxy coating. Anyone have any suggestions as tho what this finish may be and how to remove it. I don't want to bead blast it if at all possible. Hoping to find a chemical process such as muriatic acid to remove it. The gun is a great shooter. I bought it to trick out for my son. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I can't help but I am sure there is someone on here that can. Welcome to the board! We have a bunch of people here that like the 1911. Hope to see you in some of the other discussions.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Thumbs up

JeffCZ85, Auto-Ordnance offered a stain nickel finish from 1990-1996 on their 1911A1 pistols. My guess is that is what you have. Hope this helps!

Steve

P.S. - JeffCZ85, welcome to The Guns Network! Hope to see more posts from you.
    After today, it's all historical.