Thread: Win. Model 70 questions: whats with the '64 hype?

Win. Model 70 questions: whats with the '64 hype?

went browsing YouTube the other day and ran across an add for a Model 70 Winchester. Now it's be worth mentioning I am a big fan of Mauser rifles. the action reminded me strongly of my old Gewehr 98( sadly sporterized by the time I found her) and from the looks it seems like just my kind of rifle. BUT here is the question: are the pre 1964 model 70's that much better than the new ones ? and why do I keep seeing that date beng used as a gauge of quality? Are the recent made ones still a good, reliable purchase? Any opinions& comments greatly appreciated.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

After today, it's all historical.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Cool

LOL, Sergi, get a pre 64 M70 in hand...work the bolt. Next, take a current production Winchester...work the bolt...that should explain some of us oldie freeks.Last year, at a sports show, I actually got to hold one of the reintroduced M70's.IMO, wood was not as good..felt a lot lighter (something missing) and to me, action was not as smooth as my old ones.When I pointed this to the Win rep, he just got a lil nostalgic and offered no more defense.
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Morris; 04-04-2012 at 07:57 AM.

*sigh* fair enough.. still all I can do is hope that the new ones, if nothing else, are still a reliable bolt gun. I have been looking for a Mauser ( or Mauser based) bolt action in 30-06 for awhile now . ehhh maybe I need to keep looking at different makes.

Winchester was losing money on every Model 70 sold, so they went for lower manufacturing cost. Eliminated controlled feeding, cut checkering, machined stock trigger guard for more stamped parts. Even the Model 94 lever was changed.

Remington was eating Winchester's lunch. The Rem had a cast aluminium trigger guard, pressed checkering, push-feed bolt and cheaper price.

You can tell the post '64 levers as there is a screw missing from the bottom of the rifle/lever location. This caused the lever to have slop/play and the name 'Tin-chester' became popular.

US Repeating Arms returned to the old style 94's and made a pre-64 style Model 70 called the Classic. The recent USRA guns for the last 10 years were pretty good weapons IMO but they went under so I don't really know what the status is now.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier