Thread: Proper finish, paint? park? and apply order?i

Proper finish, paint? park? and apply order?i

I have finished all the receiver work converting from and NDS2 to a sidefolder, thanks to all the of the great references and responses to my queries.

Now, I am ready to rivet and have dimpled the receiver for the swell necked rivets.

Wondering about finish. This is my first build and is not perfect, but would either like it to be authentic as possible - or to move on to the next one and do better. It is a duly approved post sample mg. I am an 07/2 FFL/SOT holder.

It is a AK74 Tula kit. The receiver from the donor appeared to be painted and the trunnions certainly were. Were/are they painted after assembly or were the components painted before, then assembled and touched up. I think the latter.

What is the best, most authentic paint that is air dry rather than oven dry? I found some charcoal grill paint in my shop that seems pretty close

If I was not concerned about authenticity can I rivet all together and then have the receiver assy with the trunnions in place Parked/Phosphated?

This has been slow, but a lot of fun and a learning process for me in many ways. I look forward to the next build being truly something to be proud of.

Thanks,

Forest

I have built mine the way you mention, but bead-blasting right before the finish, however a lot of guys like to park before they build as a added means of protecting the parts. If you finish after riveting, be careful to throughly degrease to prevent oil seeping from the rivets and discoloring the finish. You may want to look into something like KPhos which acts like a park-job and sprays on, before you paint or blue.

BTW, I like Moly-Resin. Tough stuff and yes you need to “bake” it.