Thread: Could not stand having a clean unfired BP gun.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Could not stand having a clean unfired BP gun.

Loaded up both Walkers and my Ruger old Army and set out to make some holes and some dirty guns.

A nice balmy 41 degrees with a slight breeze from behind me and my back was telling me unkind words so I decided to shoot close up and get this over with while I was still up on my hind legs. I set up at 15 yards and shot the ROA one handed, put 4 of my balls in the same hole and was pleasantly surprised.

Then I got froggy and capped the first Walker and found out the old geezer needed both hands to get that long legged cannon up into the air. First shot was clean over the target, Then I aimed below the target and my second shot creased the top of the box my target was stapled to. Finally aimed at the bottom of the paper and put 4 shots on paper in a tighter group than I expected considering the miniscule notch on the hammer serving as a rear sight, I need to make that bigger.

Then I went to recharge my little capping tool and discovered that I am dumber than a pile of rocks. I had no idea I had shot that much black powder since last fall and I was out of primers.

Toy store Monday, apply file to the notch on the rear sights and next time it gets warm I will head to the 50 and 100 yard line. Shooting that Walker was just as much fun as I thought it would be and 4 1/2 pounds of steel tamed the recoil of 50 gr of FFFg right nicely, maybe even a little to much.

Not really, the big boom and large cloud of smoke was most satisfying.

The Walkers dwarf the Old Army.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Those are manly pistols! What was the average height back in the late 1800s? Five foot five? Could use them as a crutch or at least a splint if needed. I can see that one would want a hogleg on each hip or you might lean to one side and end up going in circles.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Very cool!

Nice pistols!

I hionestly don't know how people can keep an unfired gun in the house, I don't care if it some John Wayne memorial gold-plated collector's item or some rare antique, to hell with the value I gotta shoot it.

If I don't it just sits there in the back my mind and eats at me until I do!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up

Great report! Love the pics.

I'm sitting in my cabin in Mississippi with A/C going- will get over 80 again today and the uninsulated, metal roofed cabin is like a solar oven. Going to have to fix that ...
    I'll be outside most of the day.

My biggest current BP revolver is my Pietta 1858 Rem - about the sam size as the Ruger but lighter - still holds 40 grains of fffg though. It's the only one in my collection with adjustable sights which comes in handy.

At one time, I had one of those Uberti Walkers but I sold it. You can load up to 60 grains in them - boom!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Very cool!

Nice pistols!

I hionestly don't know how people can keep an unfired gun in the house, I don't care if it some John Wayne memorial gold-plated collector's item or some rare antique, to hell with the value I gotta shoot it.

If I don't it just sits there in the back my mind and eats at me until I do!

Probably 3/4 of what I own is unfired. I still have a C-96, I bought in the early 70's that has never had a bullet in the chamber. I don't ever plan on shooting it, but if I want to, I can. It's in great shape. All the guns I own are shootable, but I doubt I'll shoot the majority of them. I have a select few that I shoot and the rest are just eye candy. I take them out, fondle them, clean them, and put them back. I'm perfectly happy with the status quo.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

BP at 25 yards

Armed with a tin of CCI #10 percussion caps for the Walkers I finally got to fire both of them including the brand new never been fired Walker. Mixed results but I think I'm really going to love these guns.

First up my tried and true Roger Old army. I know where it shoots so I put my sight in the center of the target. The shot way up high is on me not the gun.

second target I expected it to be high based on 15 yard result but not sure how high so I held at 6 o'clock on the target and got a group 11" above the point of aim but smaller in size than the Ruger group. I am going to try again at 50 yards and if I am still high I will lower the powder charge.

And finally I get to shoot the never been fired Walker. I expected it to be high so this time I aimed 6" below the target and oops. I should have held at 6 o'clock. My group was 5" up and 3" right. A little file work should get my shots centered and I am going to leave the charge right where it is.

Other than the fact it shoots to the right I was really pleased with the size of the groups on both guns. I was afraid that tiny notch for the rear sight would be hard to focus on but a dab of fluorescent pink paint on the front sight made it stand out in the bright sun and it was easy to get into the notch.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.