Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Bought An Inner Ordnance AK

I Bought An Inner Ordnance AK

I was looking around the local gun shop when I saw one for around $650. It was their Sporter ECON rifle, an economy variant. What that means is that it does not come with a scope mount rail on the side. I am not sure if you can add something like that later or not. The fit and finish looked alright, better than my WASR10. Here is the blurb from the website.

http://www.ioinc.us/our-products?pag...&product_id=40
    Our SPORTER rifle is made to true Polish blueprints. It comes with one 30 rd I.O.INC waffle pattern magazine and accessories. It is made to highest quality standards and has a parkerized finish. The rifle is made in the USA and backed up by a lifetime manufacturers warranty. Technical Data: Mil-Spec receiver -Barrel Lenght: 16.25" -1:10 RH twist -Black polymer stock and Picatinny rail forearm -Tactical pistol grip -Tactical sling swivel -Adjustable front and rear sight -Overall Lenght: 36" -Weight: 7lbs - Rifle will shoot 2" grouping with iron sights on 100 yards. Our economy model does not have the CNC machined scope mount rail. Please see our accessories like spare magazines, laser/light combos, tactical slings, scopes, scope mounts, bipods, etc. on our website.

Gun on the box it came in.

Closer up view with the bolt locked back.

Even closer shot looking in.

Left side view, note small gap toward front of dust cover. Not sure it WASR had that.

The muzzle, it says IO Inc.

I have not had time to shoot it yet, because I have been busy cleaning my magazines. I have been using CLP on the inside to hopefully improve performance. Spray it, let it sit, and then wipe clean. The gun its self will get lubed before use with More CLP, and some gun grease. I hope between the new gun and cleaning/lube, this will result in a reliable platform.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Looks pretty nice to me. How are you locking the bolt back?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Looks pretty nice to me. How are you locking the bolt back?
    That's the "new semi auto malfunction" trick...

If you have a semi auto FCG that's fairly new, with sharp edges on things, you can pull the bolt carrier back while holding the trigger pressed, then release the trigger while riding the charging handle forward gently.

The hammer jams up between the bolt and carrier, and holds the bolt back. It's not really secure, and not a designed feature, more of an unintended interaction between the hammer, and the bolt and carrier when there's no auto sear present in the rifle keeping the hammer out of the way while the bolt and carrier are in counterbattery.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

That's a fine looking gun! Congrats!

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

That looks damn good, I REALLY like the furniture!!!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Inter-ordnance does make some nice rifles.

As the others have almost stated, the AK has no bolt hold open device. What you have is the result of friction between the hammer and the bolt carrier. With the right geometry you can get the bolt to hang up where you show it. The problem is any bump of the rifle can slam the bolt home, which will cause extreme pain in the event you just happen to have your finger in the breech.

Thank you all, it does look real good now doesn’t it. I really like the grey of the metal with the deep black of the polymer. The furniture fits nice, and even with the rail, it feels good. Now as long as it shoots as good as it looks, I think I might have just bought a good rifle. By the way, I didn’t need to mess with the trigger to get it to lock back. You just move the bolt back to that position and it holds open. Too unlock it you pull the bolt all the way back and let it go forward. It worked so well, I thought it might be a new feature they added somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Focused Gunfire View Post
    By the way, I didn’t need to mess with the trigger to get it to lock back. You just move the bolt back to that position and it holds open. Too unlock it you pull the bolt all the way back and let it go forward. It worked so well, I thought it might be a new feature they added somehow.
    As it wears in some, you'll need to mess with the trigger to get it to happen, and eventually it'll probably stop happening at all. Great looking rifle, though!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Focused Gunfire View Post
    By the way, I didn’t need to mess with the trigger to get it to lock back. You just move the bolt back to that position and it holds open. Too unlock it you pull the bolt all the way back and let it go forward. It worked so well, I thought it might be a new feature they added somehow.
    Please reread my post and keep your fingers out of where shells extract or you will find out painfully that friction is making you believe you have a bolt hold open, when in fact it is a mine waiting to bite. This happening is one of the few design issues with a Kalashnikov, but it ages nicely and smooths out until eventually you will not be able to repeat the "bolt hold open trick".

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Please reread my post and keep your fingers out of where shells extract or you will find out painfully that friction is making you believe you have a bolt hold open, when in fact it is a mine waiting to bite. This happening is one of the few design issues with a Kalashnikov, but it ages nicely and smooths out until eventually you will not be able to repeat the "bolt hold open trick".
    My 2001 SAR 1 with 6,000+ rounds through it will still hold the bolt back. So will my well-aged M70AB Kalash. My new Arsenal Saiga SGL31 won't though...too finely machined, apparently.

I got a chance to shoot it the other day, but first I forgot to show this stuff that came with the gun. This is a cleaning kit, unfolded, the tools are in the pouch.

These are the tools that came in it.

These look to be some side rails, but there were no screws or things to hook them up.

I shot at a range of about 20m to 25m up in back of where I grew up. I had the rifle lubed up, and my mags loaded to different levels with Wolf 124gr HP. I am glade to say the gun did not KB, and all but two of my mags worked. The 30 rounder I got with the gun didn’t fit, and the 10 rounder just sucked. It seemed to shoot high right, and none of the shots I noticed keyholed. There was also no nasty blow back. This is part of my targets, I had it behind so I could see where my early shots had been.

This is a close up. After this I just stacked targets on the ground.

Some of the cases in the dirt. I must have shot around 200 rounds that day.

The most common problem encountered was the bolt not fully moving forward. It had a problem of leaving a ½ in gap as it inserted a new round. It also got stuck at the mid point once, and the rearmost twice. I got in the habit of checking to see if the bolt was closed all the way. Toward the end, it eased up enough for me to feel ok about a little rapid fire. With more use, I think these will go away.

Another problem was that the cleaning rod refused to go back in its hole. I think the furniture had shifted itself because of the shooting. I need to check that out when I get some more time. The rear of the receiver also looks like it flared out a bit. Is this normal break in, or is this thing going to rupture?

One last thing, the receiver cover almost came off on its own during the very last few rounds of the day. I reseated it, but if this becomes common I will have to make use of the IO life time warranty.

Nice looking rifle.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Nice looking unit, these take a few trips to the range before they settle down,
    check the entire gun out after about 500-600 rounds, if you still have issues
    send it back with a list of problems.
    Just me and my monkey....

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Nice lookin AKM. Tighten the stock screws inside under the recoil spring mount and in the tang - looks like it just slipped a bit. I don't see that being a problem.

The rails shown up thread are most likely for the handguard.

Don't worry about the lack of side rail on the reciever - the new mounts like from Midwest Industries allow you to mount your optics on the rear sight base.

If you want to help the action slick up some - apply a little 1200 grit lapping compound to the contact points and then work the action 50 times or so manually -then thoroughly clean. That will slick things up and improve function. Looks like all of the parts are parked...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

From the photos (especially compared to the first set) it almost looks like the rear trunnion is moving on you. Might just be a trick of the eye, though.

I really like the furniture and the rifle looks good overall. The only negative I would mention is the top cover gap. If you send the rifle back for warranty, I would bring that up and ask for another cover.
    Sweet rifle.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    From the photos (especially compared to the first set) it almost looks like the rear trunnion is moving on you. Might just be a trick of the eye, though.
    +1, those rivets definitely look like they're sliding back, I'd send that back pronto because that ain't supposed to happen. That's most likely the cause of your top cover popping off.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    +1, those rivets definitely look like they're sliding back, I'd send that back pronto because that ain't supposed to happen. That's most likely the cause of your top cover popping off.
    This is what I see as well.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I think you guys are right - looking at the pics, the rivets don't look fully seated... I'd call IO and describe the issue - they can fix this pretty easy in their shop - and seating the rear rivets/trunion will move your cover forward too...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Update time. Last week I took the IO out to clean it, and play with the cleaning rod. I got the fore grip off and the reinstalled it. That allowed me to get the rod back in. So I’m about to start cleaning when I get that itch to go shooting. I load up the one 40 rounder I had yet to test with a full load, and trekked up in back.

The good news is the mag work fine. The bad is that the rifle did poorly. The problem with the cover has gotten worse, needing to be knocked back into place every couple shots. Even nearing 300 rounds, the bolt would still refuse to finish its last half inch forward movement sometimes. Also something I forgot to mention last time that happened again, the hammer failed to lock back. I go to pull the trigger, and it’s under no tension. I look inside, and the hammer is already up.

Done shooting for the day, I return to the garage to clean it up. Upon field strip I discover that the back is even more blown out, and the stock is now lose. That’s it, when things die down from Easter holiday, I am going to give them a call. By the way, it is covered in gun oil.

These two pics show the movement of the stock.

These next two pics show the receiver cover gap. Its natural state is the in the first pic, and the second is me pushing forward on the cover to get it to close. When I let go, it springs back to what it looks like in one.

Some shots that show the back of the receiver without the cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast