Thread: Man, I Think I Just Got Screwed On Some Magazines

Man, I Think I Just Got Screwed On Some Magazines

I've been wanting some 20 rdrs for my ARs for quite awhile now. So yesterday while trying to track down a front sight adjustment tool, I stop off at a gun store. They didn't have the tool, but they had 20 rd mags for $5.00 each. I bought 5.

Now, when I had by green label H-bar, I used thermolds and never had a problem. But this morning I look them up online and everyone says they're junk. Hmmmm, okay I'll check for myself. Shit! The mag is tight on the first AR, the bolt won't lock back, and it's not drop free. I try my other rifle and double shit, it's so loose the magazine won't even lock into place! Tried some old c-mags in each rifle and they fit and function just fine.

So, it looks like I blew $27 bucks for nothing.

I'm really pissed at myself right now.
    Last edited by American Rage; 04-08-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Is there any way you can take them back and get a refund or something else?

Now that you mention it. I probably could, especially on the 4 I didn't open.

Also, the AR that they won't lock into was from that very store!

Hmmm, I think I'll pay them a return visit in a day or two.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Good news is, worst possible case scenario, it's only $27 and you might be able to find a sucker on gunbroker for $40 flat rate shipping included....just sayin.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I'd take em all back unless you messed the one up... they should work... for any price.

Keep an eye on Brownells -they run sales on their 20 rounders from time to time and they are top notch.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

20-round Ther"melts"? I bought four a while a back to try out simply for the fact that they were only a few bucks each. Two work (most of the time) and two don't work at all. Oh, and don't even think about keeping them loaded (cartridges will eject themselves after a while). Hey, we all live and learn!

I took them back today, believe it or not he wants evidence that they don't work in my rifle. So, tomorrow, I'm going to take him my rifle and prove that they don't lock into place in the mag well. For the record, he had an armalite and a spikes tactical and they both locked up fine with my magazine.

To be fair, he implied that we might go through what he had until I found 5 mags that work in my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    Good news is, worst possible case scenario, it's only $27 and you might be able to find a sucker on gunbroker for $40 flat rate shipping included....just sayin.
    holy crap I think I am that Gunbroker sucker.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

I took my rifle and mags to the dealer today. They told me that they had sold hundreds of those mags without any problems whatsoever.

So, I took my M&P 15T along with the mags to the gunshop. Sure enough, the mags refused to seat properly. Their guess, as well as mine, was that S&W had made a run where the mag well dropped down too far to allow the thermold mag to seat properly. Note, the thermomag has a 'ridge' which is supposed to mate up to the bottom of the mag well and seal it from dirt and other particle matters. Unfortunately, that "ridge" kept my rifle from accepting the mag.

Once they were convinced that the mag would not work in my gun, they announced that there'd be not refunds, however, they were willing to trade out.

So, I traded 5 thermold mags for 2 P mags (20 rounders).

For the record, I'm totally amazed by the quality of the P-mags. Sincerely, I thought the P-mags were mostly hype. But I have to say that I don't believe that I've ever seen a better quality magazine in my entire life. I just wish that I had at least 5 of them.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    So, I traded 5 thermold mags for 2 P mags (20 rounders).

For the record, I'm totally amazed by the quality of the P-mags. Sincerely, I thought the P-mags were mostly hype. But I have to say that I don't believe that I've ever seen a better quality magazine in my entire life. I just wish that I had at least 5 of them.
    Sounds like a good deal, I'm glad the dealer was willing to work with you. I agree with you on the PMags. I waited a long time to jump on the PMag bandwagon because I was always a die-hard GI mag user. I, too, thought they were just hyped-up plastic mags until I decided to give one a try earlier this year.