Thread: Romainian AKs from before 1968

Thumbs up Romainian AKs from before 1968

First, I am an FFL (07) dealer/manufactuer.

I recently aquired 5 @ AK-47 "kits" (no receiver or barrel) that are stamped with dates between 1963 and 1966. They are for the most part, "matching numbers" in that the bolt carrier, bolt and front trunnion have matching numbers. NONE have a matching number on the top cover. Two do not match all three, but only two of the main parts. I will supply the 6 US made parts in the trigger group(3), the gas piston(1), the muzzle break(1) and the receiver(1) as I build them. I could also depend on the three parts of a US made magazine, but I dont want to put my customers at risk of violating 922r if they should use a surplus foreign made magazine.

I would like to know your take on the quality of Romainian AKs from this early period?

I am thinking, since they are from before 1968, that with the propper tax fee and forms, I can build them as "stock" with full auto fire as long as they are properly documented and sold.

Quote Originally Posted by JimIsbell View Post
    First, I am an FFL (07) dealer/manufactuer.

I would like to know your take on the quality of Romainian AKs from this early period?
    Like any other production AK, they should be fine.

I am thinking, since they are from before 1968, that with the propper tax fee and forms, I can build them as "stock" with full auto fire as long as they are properly documented and sold.
    First, they're not pre-1968. The parts you have were made back then, but the rifle you build on those parts will be newly-manufactured in 2012.

Second, if you want to build them as full autos, you'll need your Class 2 SOT on top of your Type 07. You won't need to worry about 922(r) issues, since machineguns are not subject to 922(r).

Third, if/when you do so, they'll be post-86 samples, and only transferrable to other dealers (with demo letter) or to LE/govt. You won't be able to sell them to Joe Sixgun.

If you have your 07/C2 and want to build them as post-sample machineguns go for it.

Thanks, I guess my understanding of the build date VS the manufactuer date is what I keep stumbling over. If the gun was completely assembled, I could repair it, but if it is in pieces my work would be manufacturing it.
    Last edited by JimIsbell; 04-09-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimIsbell View Post
    Thanks, I guess my understanding of the build date VS the manufactuer date is what I keep stumbling over. If the gun was completely assembled, I could repair it, but if it is in pieces my work would be manufacturing it.
    If the gun was completely assembled and had been in-country and properly registered pre-1968, it'd be worth quite a bit as a transferrable machinegun.

I have a client that would not care about the price.