Thread: Idiot at the local gun shop...

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Idiot at the local gun shop...

Just another "Idiot at the gun shop" story from the other day.

I was doing some browsing when a fellow came into the shop with two long gun cases saying he wanted to sell due to needing some money. He placed them up onto the counter and opened them up to reveal a Savage lefty bolt gun in one case and a Benelli semi-auto shotgun in the other. After I saw what was in the cases I went back to browsing. The newish gun shop employee eventually got to looking at the Benelli and I heard him lock the action back. Following that, I heard the sound of an unfired shotgun shell dropping onto the counter. I looked up to see the more seasoned employee walk over and take the shotgun into the back room to finish unloading the rest of the shells from the magazine. Not wanting to stick around with such a dolt, I left. As I was walking out, I noticed the fella wasn't a local (thank God), as he had Jersey plates on his truck. Makes me wonder if he drove all that way to Ohio with a loaded shotgun in the cab of his truck!

Now, if you are going to a gun shop and you know for a fact that you are taking in a firearm to sell (or taking in a firearm for any reason at all besides your CCW piece that you are currently carrying), don't ya think you'd check and triple check to make sure the thing is empty first?
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Apparently Jersey Boy didn't....

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Idiots love to play with loaded guns.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

I brought a revolver into Cabelas a few months back, handed it to the checker at the front door, correctly, pointed safe with the cylinder swung out and obviously empty.

He pointed it into their little catcher tube looked at it intently for several seconds and touched every empty chamber.

I raised an eyebrow at his obvious overabundance of caution and he nodded up and said "camera".

I smiled and asked him if they actually got a lot of loaded guns come in.

"We had over 200 come in loaded last year"

I about fell over.

Worst one was a gun show, place was packed and the guy next to me was looking over an old PPK a dealer was showing him, he dropped the mag out and it was fully loaded, he racked the slide and a bullet came out...seconds earlier the gun had been pointed at my belly for a good half minute or so due to the cramped quarters. The dealer just looked at me and shrugged. I really wanted to punch that dealer right in the nose.

Some of our fellow gun owners are sadly incredibly stupid!!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I got the gun shop clerk to hand over the shop's defensive shotgun once. I just pointed at it and said "I'd like to see the one hiding behind the corner there" and he handed it to me.

It was obviously loaded and when I told him he looked me right in the eyes and said "no it isn't", so I started unloading it for him until he decided he better take it back.

What a dummy! Someone else may have turned that scene into the gun shop scene from Terminator... "Hey buddy, you can't do that", "Wrong." Boom!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    . As I was walking out, I noticed the fella wasn't a local (thank God), as he had Jersey plates on his truck. Makes me wonder if he drove all that way to Ohio with a loaded shotgun in the cab of his truck!

Now, if you are going to a gun shop and you know for a fact that you are taking in a firearm to sell (or taking in a firearm for any reason at all besides your CCW piece that you are currently carrying), don't ya think you'd check and triple check to make sure the thing is empty first?
    My first thought is that he really might not know if it were loaded or not, IF the guns were stolen and he were trying to fence them. He might not know anything about guns except that they are worth some money. (And, he might not be the brightest crayon in the box, either.)

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post

I was doing some browsing when a fellow came into the shop with two long gun cases saying he wanted to sell due to needing some money. He placed them up onto the counter and opened them up to reveal a Savage lefty bolt gun in one case and a Benelli semi-auto shotgun in the other. After I saw what was in the cases I went back to browsing. The newish gun shop employee eventually got to looking at the Benelli and I heard him lock the action back. Following that, I heard the sound of an unfired shotgun shell dropping onto the counter. I looked up to see the more seasoned employee walk over and take the shotgun into the back room to finish unloading the rest of the shells from the magazine. Not wanting to stick around with such a dolt, I left. As I was walking out, I noticed the fella wasn't a local (thank God), as he had Jersey plates on his truck. Makes me wonder if he drove all that way to Ohio with a loaded shotgun in the cab of his truck!

Well he's lucky he didn't get stopped in his own state. NJ is notorious for any travel trough the state legal or not.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    I brought a revolver into Cabelas a few months back, handed it to the checker at the front door, correctly, pointed safe with the cylinder swung out and obviously empty.

He pointed it into their little catcher tube looked at it intently for several seconds and touched every empty chamber.

I raised an eyebrow at his obvious overabundance of caution and he nodded up and said "camera".

I smiled and asked him if they actually got a lot of loaded guns come in.

"We had over 200 come in loaded last year"

I about fell over.

Worst one was a gun show, place was packed and the guy next to me was looking over an old PPK a dealer was showing him, he dropped the mag out and it was fully loaded, he racked the slide and a bullet came out...seconds earlier the gun had been pointed at my belly for a good half minute or so due to the cramped quarters. The dealer just looked at me and shrugged. I really wanted to punch that dealer right in the nose.

Some of our fellow gun owners are sadly incredibly stupid!!
    Somehow I believe you are a troll making shit up for your lefty friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    Worst one was a gun show, place was packed and the guy next to me was looking over an old PPK a dealer was showing him, he dropped the mag out and it was fully loaded, he racked the slide and a bullet came out...seconds earlier the gun had been pointed at my belly for a good half minute or so due to the cramped quarters.
    I had a scare a few years ago. I was out shooting with my kids and my daughter (7 or 8 at the time) was shooting my Ruger MK-II. I was standing directly to her right and slightly behind to keep a close eye on her.

Suddenly my younger son (around 12 or 13 at the time) for no reason I can think of yells out "HEY! A white truck!"

So... both my daughter and I rotate to the right to see what he was talking about. At that point I had the muzzle of the .22 in my belly with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked.

I grabbed the barrel and rotated the pistol back downrange and said "whew that was a close one!". That was when I noticed she had her finger off the trigger and lying against the trigger guard just like I taught her!

Good girl!

(edit to add a pic!)

Last edited by Krupski; 04-11-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Somehow I believe you are a troll making shit up for your lefty friends.
    None of my business... but IMHO that was completely uncalled for.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!