Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ann and Mitt, the College Years: “STRUGGLING” so much that they had to sell stock.

Thumbs down Ann and Mitt, the College Years: “STRUGGLING” so much that they had to sell stock.

Mitt Romney is going around saying that he made all his money himself, aside from a loan from his dad to buy his first house.

“They were not easy years. You have to understand, I was raised in a lovely neighborhood, as was Mitt, and at BYU, we moved into a $62-a-month basement apartment with a cement floor and lived there two years as students with no income.

We were happy, studying hard. Neither one of us had a job, because Mitt had enough of an investment from stock that we could sell off a little at a time.

“The stock came from Mitt’s father. When he took over American Motors, the stock was worth nothing. But he invested Mitt’s birthday money year to year — it wasn’t much, a few thousand, but he put it into American Motors because he believed in himself. Five years later, stock that had been $6 a share was $96 and Mitt cashed it so we could live and pay for education.

“Mitt and I walked to class together, shared housekeeping, had a lot of pasta and tuna fish and learned hard lessons.
    http://www.samefacts.com/2012/01/inc...to-sell-stock/

These people are so out of touch. You want to talk about Elites... these people were born with silver spoons in their mouths. They have absolutely no idea what its like to work 2 jobs to try to pay for school, getting so far deep in debt with student loans that it takes decades to pay it all off. After all, they had daddy warbucks to pay the entire way...

Must be hard being so well off that you can afford to be a stay-at-home mom in one of your multiple houses in 3 different states, with so many nannies and house staff to have to keep track of. Oh the horrors of being upper-class!

"Struggling" my ass...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

So Mitt had a father who wasn't worthless.

I don't like him one bit. This does not make me like him any less.

He is/will be no good for this country. The current President isn't either. The only change this election could bring is one of face not pace.

ETA. I don't think he can win this time and after a defeat later victory is much harder. I doubt you have to worry about seeing this pile of Mitt much after Election Day.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 04-15-2012 at 05:13 AM.

Beats struggling so bad you had to do a B&E...

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Beats struggling so bad you had to do a B&E...
    Indeed, street crime is primarily a past-time of poor, and most of them are eventually caught and put away for years or decades.

The rich, however, get away with all sorts of white-collar crime all the time with impunity. Or on the rare occasion they are actually prosecuted, their money can usually buy their way out of it, or at least earn them a short sentence with a slap on the hand thanks to their expensive hot-shot lawyer.

As Glenn Greenwald put it: "With Liberty and Justice for SOME."
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    You are such a jealous little bitch. If you would quit blaming others for your character defects you might actually amount to a little less than something. Tend to your own house for a change.

Still though most parents I know try to help their kid in life and get a leg up with college and the like. Did your parents not try and help you in any way when you were going from HS to college age? I really don't think most who work for a living are going to see this as a bad thing as much as an example of how they would like to set their children up. The whole silver spoon idea plays well to some, but for the most part they are the ones operating out of jealously VS reason.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Still though most parents I know try to help their kid in life and get a leg up with college and the like. Did your parents not try and help you in any way when you were going from HS to college age? I really don't think most who work for a living are going to see this as a bad thing as much as an example of how they would like to set their children up. The whole silver spoon idea plays well to some, but for the most part they are the ones operating out of jealously VS reason.
    I'd like to know why, with all his morally superior athiestic extended family, he got no no support from them.

I have often wondered that myself. Based on others I know like him I bet I could guess a reason why as others I've met with his mindset all seem to have a closely related back story. It would be interesting to know a little family history just to see if it's true.

The jealousy must come from somewhere as it's pretty deeply ingrained.

Still though most parents I know try to help their kid in life and get a leg up with college and the like. Did your parents not try and help you in any way when you were going from HS to college age?
    Well, I dropped out of public school in 9th Grade. Couldn't deal with all the politics and boredom. Ended up in juvy for a few weeks for being a truant and learned how to be a criminal from my peers, but that's another story. No, my parents were comfortably middle-class and had several thousand dollars saved up towards college, but they squandered it all on sending me to a private Catholic school for the rest of 9th Grade, which I also ended up dropping out of before the end of the second semester anyway. They did help me pay for a few classes at the local university before I turned 18, but my head wasn't really in structured academics at that point in my life, I was burned out from my high school experience. When I turned 18 I ended up working a couple dead-end jobs, but a vindictive local sheriff's deputy who had it out for me harassed my employers and got me fired twice, at which point I chose to commit my infamous crimes since legitimate employment was no longer a viable option.

The rest is history.

I really don't think most who work for a living are going to see this as a bad thing as much as an example of how they would like to set their children up. The whole silver spoon idea plays well to some, but for the most part they are the ones operating out of jealously VS reason.
    Few people are going to begrudge the Romneys for getting a leg up from their rich parents, its just when they claim they were "struggling" the whole time when they had their whole way paid for them that it becomes a public spectacle. I just don't think many working class young adults are going to be able to relate to their situation.

Got anymore pics of your Washington trip?
    Those $20 to $40 dinners sounded pretty good
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Got anymore pics of your Washington trip?
    Those $20 to $40 dinners sounded pretty good
    HAHA. Yes, I do. Mostly just of the many museum exhibits I witnessed. There was a really cool display regarding the history of currency in the Smithsonian American History museum, had all sorts of coins dating back hundreds of years. I still haven't downloaded all the pictures off of my phone. Maybe I'll get around to it later today.

If you ever do visit D.C., make sure to visit Philips Flagship restaurant on the Waterfront. They have an ENORMOUS buffet, all kinds of breakfast, tons of seafood, various soups and salads, and a wide variety of desserts. We ate enough to count for a whole day's meals combined into one. Only $32.99 a pop + $10 for drinks! What a bargain.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs down

So you couldn't/wouldn't even deal with high school? Have you ever put out more than minimum effort in anything in your life?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    So you couldn't/wouldn't even deal with high school? Have you ever put out more than minimum effort in anything in your life?
    Nope. I have a pretty short attention span. Tend not to work the same job more than a couple years either, just get tired of it and move on. I like variety in my life.

But maybe I'll see a shrink and see if I can't be put on some Ritalin or something, and attempt the structured college environment once more, since I already have almost 2 years worth of college credits down. Either that or just move to North Dakota and work on one of those oil field "man camps" -- on my flight back from D.C. the dude sitting next to me worked on one of those fields, 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off, said he was making well over $50/hour with all the over-time, and the work is real easy to do. He said if you ever get tired of working one job, there are a variety of other positions available that you can easily transition to. Sounds like my kind of environment.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    HAHA. Yes, I do.
    Glad to see my comment was received in the spirit in which it was given

Maybe someday I'll get there. I was happy enough to scrape together $50 to have lunch with my daughter yesterday at Steak and Shake.
    That included travel to and from Lafayette. Good day though no complaints
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

maybe ........I'll just move to North Dakota and work on one of those oil field "man camps".
    Well just judging by the name of the thing there will be a big problem with you fitting in.........
    CHOOT UM!

Nope. I have a pretty short attention span. Tend not to work the same job more than a couple years either, just get tired of it and move on. I like variety in my life.

But maybe I'll see a shrink and see if I can't be put on some Ritalin or something, and attempt the structured college environment once more, since I already have almost 2 years worth of college credits down. Either that or just move to North Dakota and work on one of those oil field "man camps" -- on my flight back from D.C. the dude sitting next to me worked on one of those fields, 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off, said he was making well over $50/hour with all the over-time, and the work is real easy to do. He said if you ever get tired of working one job, there are a variety of other positions available that you can easily transition to. Sounds like my kind of environment.
    Working in an oil field is not easy to do.

Indeed, street crime is primarily a past-time of poor, and most of them are eventually caught and put away for years or decades.

The rich, however, get away with all sorts of white-collar crime all the time with impunity. Or on the rare occasion they are actually prosecuted, their money can usually buy their way out of it, or at least earn them a short sentence with a slap on the hand thanks to their expensive hot-shot lawyer.

As Glenn Greenwald put it: "With Liberty and Justice for SOME."
    The definition of "poor" and "rich" has changed so many times in my lifetime in Mississippi. When I was a kid in the early 60's A person was ashamed to have to get food stamps. Most "poor" lived in shotgun houses with no running water and a naked light bulb in the living room. Food assistance consisted of dried beans and rice, cheese, canned meat, powdered milk.

Today you have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzspsovNvII

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Well, I dropped out of public school in 9th Grade. Couldn't deal with all the politics and boredom. Ended up in juvy for a few weeks for being a truant and learned how to be a criminal from my peers, but that's another story. No, my parents were comfortably middle-class and had several thousand dollars saved up towards college, but they squandered it all on sending me to a private Catholic school for the rest of 9th Grade, which I also ended up dropping out of before the end of the second semester anyway. They did help me pay for a few classes at the local university before I turned 18, but my head wasn't really in structured academics at that point in my life, I was burned out from my high school experience. When I turned 18 I ended up working a couple dead-end jobs, but a vindictive local sheriff's deputy who had it out for me harassed my employers and got me fired twice, at which point I chose to commit my infamous crimes since legitimate employment was no longer a viable option.

The rest is history.

What kind of sorry ass shitbags let their kid drop out of school in the 9th grade?

No wonder you have such a horrible life with worthless don't-give-a-shit parents like that it's a wonder you're not worse than you are. Probably your typical new-age progressive type liberals that didn't want to give their little darling a complex by forcing him to do something.

If I would have even thought about dropping out of school my parents would have came down on me like a ton of bricks, but being raised right and respecting my parents it was never a consideration. I worked hard to make them proud of me, just like they did for me.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

The rest is history.

Few people are going to begrudge the Romneys for getting a leg up from their rich parents, its just when they claim they were "struggling" the whole time when they had their whole way paid for them that it becomes a public spectacle. I just don't think many working class young adults are going to be able to relate to their situation.
    Good Lord, and you expect anyone here to take a word you say seriously?

You are the common denominator in all your problems and even a communist government can't fix that.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Did your parents not try and help you in any way when you were going from HS to college age?
    Yup.....my Mother cashed in her last war bond....$25.00. The value was $20.00 and some change. She gave me the $20.00 and the Navy paid for my bus ticket.

Wart

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast