Thread: Stevens 520 shotgun question

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Stevens 520 shotgun question

Not a tactical shotgun but the army used a short version of it in the trenches. I have a Stevens 520 with a very low serial number but with a 30" barrel, original because the numbers match everything else on the gun. I can't find a date for this gun or a list of serial numbers and its driving me bonkers. My searches all send me to Savage and I know why but that doesn't give me the answer I want. All I know for sure, well I think I know it for sure is the safety is inside the trigger guard so it might be pre 30 or 32. Anybody have a resource I don't know about for these old Stevens shotguns. Thing is built like a tank and still shoots good.

(SN# 15XX B)

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I have two like that, one was my grandfathers goose gun, it has a 31 or 32 inch ribbed barrel. It says Stevens - Browning on the side. Built like a tank. That trigger guard safety seems really dangerous, even more so if you have gloves or something. Never have been able to nail down any accurate dates on it, or the other one I have. My SN# is U19xxx so it's probably newer than yours. The other one is SN# 60xxx

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

old Grump, the Model 520 was introduced in 1904. Production continued until sometime in 1932. There were multiple variations. Double or single 'humpback''. Then the 520-30 was made up until WWII. Are you able to post a picture of your Stevens?

Steve
    Last edited by Gunreference1; 10-02-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    After today, it's all historical.

My dad has an old Browning with the safety inside the trigger guard and it is dated in the late 20's I believe 1928. I believe the old 520 was used as a riot gun as you see them in that configuration on Gunbroker from time to time and occasionally advertised as belonging to such and such Prison system etc.....

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

cant help you on the date, but i love my 520. imo, the saftey inside the trigger guard is one of its best features.

Double hump model and though I'm not a bird hunter except for turkeys I can set up targets from 8 yards to 30 yards and center the shot pattern in all of them as fast as I can work the pump. I have one of the clamp on fiber optic sights that fits over the front of the barrel and a notch in the plastic clamp keeps it centered on the bead. If my back was better and my legs worked I think with this gun I could become a wing shooter in spite of the weight. good thing is it isn't any more ornery that a 20 gauge with 2 3/4" shells. Patent dates are 1905 and 1907 so I know it wasn't made before those dates.
    Last edited by old Grump; 10-03-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Is your a take down version?

I picked up a very worn, on the outside, 16 gauge with Sears logo many years ago at a flea market. It is the take down version. I cut it down to 20 inches and installed a large bead. It is the wife's bedroom gun. 16 ga ammo is pretty hard to find but I have a stash as I have a Remington Model 11 in 16 ga that I have had forever....chris3

ive never seen one that wasnt a takedown.

Older thread I know.... I got one of the Sears Rangers in 12 pump, is that a Stevens?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
    Older thread I know.... I got one of the Sears Rangers in 12 pump, is that a Stevens?
    Probably is a Stevens, do you have any idea how old it is. If you have the model number look it up on this chart.

http://www.gun-data.com/sears_roebuck_guns.html

THUCYDIDES.

Can't find it on the list. The barrel says 'Browning Design - 12 gauge'. The left side of the receiver says Ranger and is worn.
    The serial number is on the lower trigger guard tang and says 'U 375xx' .

Nothing on the list starts with a U.

It was a hand me down from my Dad. He had it as long as I have lived and then some, and I am 59 now. So he had it before 1951.

Thx for the help. Let me know if you can ID it as I can't.

Best guess is a Model 30 or 31, they were Stevens made shotguns pre WWII, the serial number starting with 'U' was one they used. Do you have a picture? After WWII they were made by JC Higgins.

Gunreference1, are you out there?

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Unfortunately I don't know any more than you Old Grump until I see a picture. Mac_Muz, pictures of the whole shotgun as well as any markings would be very helpful.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Just call me mac if it's better... That Muz stands for muzzeloaders, as I am a flintlock shooter mainly. Most site need more than 3 letters.

I have the gun and a camera, but no pics. I can get some in a bit of time. The Ranger logo is quite worn or wasn't roll engraved deeply in the first place, I can't tell.

I don't see any other markings on the gun externaly, other than as stated above.

The butt plate is a hard black bakalite if my guess is right. The safety is inside the trigger guard. The slide release is on the left side at the rear of the trigger guard. The barrel is 28.5 inches to the barrle bolster, and 29" to the reciever.

It is a break down model. More than 50% of the blueing is gone, and it was used as a salt water duck/ goose gun, so there is light pitting on the reciever.

The stock wrist seems to have hand cut checkering, which I find odd, but there is mistakes, not very bad mistakes, but not a machined cut checkering either.

The xx in the serial number is for my security, but you guys know that, and in a pm I will give out the last 2 numbers, since I trust Old Grump.

I may know of you too Steve, but only if you had another user handle before this site was down for many months. I dont know this name you have now, but understand guys came back with new user names.

On the list I didn't find any numbers starting with a U.

I'll see about getting some pics. Thank you guys... mac

On edit: Mine looks similar to post 3, Steves post, except the Ranger logo is more central on the reciever. The riders head is just down and a tad forward of the screw under the single hump.
    Last edited by Mac_Muz; 04-14-2011 at 08:13 AM.

I am new here, new to many shooting boards that maybe discussing the Stevens 520-30 12 ga shotgun. The gun was discovered a few weeks back when cleaning my Mom's closet. It has the flaming bombs, 28 inch barrel with a poly choke, US markings, action is in VG condition. My mom wants to sell the gun but living where I do there really is no one around to give me a value on the gun.
    Currently do not want to go through the hassle of gunbroker, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
    I am new here, new to many shooting boards that maybe discussing the Stevens 520-30 12 ga shotgun. The gun was discovered a few weeks back when cleaning my Mom's closet. It has the flaming bombs, 28 inch barrel with a poly choke, US markings, action is in VG condition. My mom wants to sell the gun but living where I do there really is no one around to give me a value on the gun.
    Currently do not want to go through the hassle of gunbroker, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Jack

imo, somebody made a major fuck up putting the poly choke on it. us marked ones usually bring a premium, but having the poly on it kills the value.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post

imo, somebody made a major fuck up putting the poly choke on it. us marked ones usually bring a premium, but having the poly on it kills the value.
    On the other hand if the choke made it a better shooter for whoever put it on there than it was worth it to him. Mine is still in great shape and I still shoot it on occasion. 191,000 made and a lot of them still in service even more hidden away in a closet or attic forgotten about with the purchase of something newer and lighter.

If you aren't hard up for the money maybe you can talk you ma into selling it to you and pay her off as you can manage. If not try and hold out for at least $200. Deth is right a real collector wouldn't be interested but a shooter might.
    Probably paid $25 for it new and with the original choke could have gone for up to $700 but now lucky to get a fourth of that. Just between you me and the neighbors dog I'd get me a bushel basket of 2 3/4" shells for it and start having some fun with it.

THUCYDIDES.