Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-14 Questions

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Mini-14 Questions

After seeing Broondog's thread on his new Ranch Rifle and having viewed other threads in the past I'm starting to seriously consider a Mini-14 as my next purchase. Alittle background may help with some questions I have.

Most of my long guns are mislurps, mausers style bolt actions and SKS and CETME. Was thinking about getting rid of a lot of that stuff and concentrating on one centerfire rifle for SHTF, plinking, target, home defense, etc. Originally I was thinking about going with a basic AR platform as I want something that I can scope easily, find parts for as well as ammo.

Now that I'm considering the Mini-14 I was thinking the actual cost (unless I try an AR build) is in the Mini-14's favor. Mags appear to be more expensive than AR mags but if the Mini is less finicky about ammo that cost savings may offset the 10-15 mags I would most likely look to acquire.

Some of my questions are as follows:

What type of Mini-14 should I get? It looks like they offer a standard, a ranch and a tactical.

Should I buy used or new? My main reason for asking this is have there been changes to new rifles such as barrel weight or twist rate that are better than older models?

Can you easily scope all varients?

What I'm more or less wanting to know is what's the best bang for my buck when it comes to a Mini-14?

TIA
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-10-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

If you just want a 556 you can throw behind the seat of the truck just get the cheapest. If you want tacticool I'd do some research to see if you can buy cheap and add what you want at lower cost than buying the factory tac job.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    If you just want a 556 you can throw behind the seat of the truck just get the cheapest. If you want tacticool I'd do some research to see if you can buy cheap and add what you want at lower cost than buying the factory tac job.
    No tactical. Just something I can scope, decent accuracy and reliable.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 TakeFive's Avatar

My 2002 example has cuts in the receiver for Ruger scope mounts, I don't know how far back in time this feature goes. I would buy used for what you want to do with the gun, you can use the money you save on the gun for the scope and magazines. There are tons of them available, GunsAmerica and GunAuction are my starting places. Let us know when you get one and take pictures when you get it set up the way you want it.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

i looked at a tac-black one and thought it just looked plain stupid, but to each their own.

to me, rifles are made of wood and steel.

i know that the ranch rifle is chambered to accept .223 AND 5.56NATO which is an advantage. the target model is only .223 and i am not sure about the standard version.

the ranch rifle also comes ready to accept rings.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Looking at the ruger website the 16" barrel is not offered in Stainless. Cost is $939-$979. Ouch! I think the collapsible stock looks pretty hokey also. I don't know why ruger wouldn't bring back the old factory folder. I was pretty slick.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I like the M-14/20GBCPC model. This is the tactical hi cap with flash hider and standard poly stock. It's blued. I just like the flash hider

I would buy new as they have the accuracy mods like more solidly bedded action and thicker barrel.

http://www.budsgunshop.com has them in stock for $687 shipped.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ack+Syn.+Stock
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

What's wrong with a Mini-30? Since many of my long guns are chambered in 7.62x39, I opted for the 30 over the 14. And, when eBay was still selling gun parts and mags, I hooked up with a seller who was selling 10 rnd., Mini-30 mags for about $7 each. I have between 20-30 of those, plus a few others in different lengths. I concentrated on the 10-rounders as I thought they looked the best on the rifle.

I stayed away from the 14 as I only had one rifle capable of shooting that round, plus, since the Mini-30 wasn't selling very well at Gander Mtn., they offered a pretty good deal on it. It was hard to pass up.

I like my Mini-30.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    What's wrong with a Mini-30? Since many of my long guns are chambered in 7.62x39, I opted for the 30 over the 14. And, when eBay was still selling gun parts and mags, I hooked up with a seller who was selling 10 rnd., Mini-30 mags for about $7 each. I have between 20-30 of those, plus a few others in different lengths. I concentrated on the 10-rounders as I thought they looked the best on the rifle.

I stayed away from the 14 as I only had one rifle capable of shooting that round, plus, since the Mini-30 wasn't selling very well at Gander Mtn., they offered a pretty good deal on it. It was hard to pass up.

I like my Mini-30.
    Thought about the Mini-30 as well. Question though. With the 10rd mag what are you gaining over an SKS other than maybe a few seconds faster reload with the detachable mag on the Mini-30 versus stripper clips for the SKS? Is the Mini-30 more accurate? Probably easier to scope (accurately) than an SKS.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Has anyone ever engineered a mod to the mini-30 to take AK mags?

It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult, it might require minor modifications to the rifle

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

My biggest beef against the mini 30's has been their really poor accuracy. I really haven't heard any reports on the newer models with the enhancements... and I suppose that they fixed the chamber/bore design?

And I think Ruger is making high caps for the 30's too.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

At walmart today they had a DPMS 16 inch flat top AR for $587, about $50 less then they sell the mini for. Close as I can see it's this upper mated to a lower with collapsible M4 stock.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/416...ck-flash-hider

Accuracy would be IMO no worse then a mini with the ability to use cheap AR mags.
    Last edited by mriddick; 04-10-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    At walmart today they had a DPMS 16 inch flat top AR for $587, about $50 less then they sell the mini for. Close as I can see it's this upper mated to a lower with collapsible M4 stock.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/416...ck-flash-hider

Accuracy would be IMO no worse then a mini with the ability to use cheap AR mags.
    Thanks. I'll have to stop by my local WalMart and see if they have that one. I read here awhile back that they were carrying AR's but haven't stopped by any of my stores to see what they had.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Used Mini's around here are about $420-900 depending on how deep you wanna get.

I might get one just as a house rifle cause other than shotguns and pistols all my stuff is NFA and locked up.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Thanks. I'll have to stop by my local WalMart and see if they have that one. I read here awhile back that they were carrying AR's but haven't stopped by any of my stores to see what they had.
    First time I had been at this Walmart since Feb so I don't get to them very often either, I actually logged on to PM what I had saw I'm seriously considering getting one since it's the cheapest complete flat top AR I've seen to date, I also like DPMS Ar's alot.

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

I had a mini-14 and loved it.. I would think the ranch model would be better for scoping.. the original I had took a wierd scope mount.. However... If you are looking for economy you might consider a Kel-tec... I'm not sure how you feel about their quality and I certainly think Rufers qulity is TOP OF THE LINE!! But you might try out a Kel-tec for the fun of it.. Good Luck!

After seeing Broondog's thread on his new Ranch Rifle and having viewed other threads in the past I'm starting to seriously consider a Mini-14 as my next purchase. Alittle background may help with some questions I have.

Most of my long guns are mislurps, mausers style bolt actions and SKS and CETME. Was thinking about getting rid of a lot of that stuff and concentrating on one centerfire rifle for SHTF, plinking, target, home defense, etc. Originally I was thinking about going with a basic AR platform as I want something that I can scope easily, find parts for as well as ammo.

Now that I'm considering the Mini-14 I was thinking the actual cost (unless I try an AR build) is in the Mini-14's favor. Mags appear to be more expensive than AR mags but if the Mini is less finicky about ammo that cost savings may offset the 10-15 mags I would most likely look to acquire.

Some of my questions are as follows:

What type of Mini-14 should I get? It looks like they offer a standard, a ranch and a tactical.

Should I buy used or new? My main reason for asking this is have there been changes to new rifles such as barrel weight or twist rate that are better than older models?

Can you easily scope all varients?

What I'm more or less wanting to know is what's the best bang for my buck when it comes to a Mini-14?

TIA
    I asked myself these very same questions over 20 years ago. My conclusion was to go with the AR. In the end, it's cheaper to buy mags and to customize the AR when compared to the mini 14.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Mini 14 (I have a love/hate relationship), but in the end the AR is the better deal.

The only exception would be in States where the AR is not allowed.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Thought about the Mini-30 as well. Question though. With the 10rd mag what are you gaining over an SKS other than maybe a few seconds faster reload with the detachable mag on the Mini-30 versus stripper clips for the SKS? Is the Mini-30 more accurate? Probably easier to scope (accurately) than an SKS.
    With the 10 rnd. mags, I'm not gaining much over the SKS, but I do have a few 20 rounders and, I think, one 30 rounder. I settled for more of the 10 rnd. mags because I liked the looks of it in the rifle. While the others are more pracitcal, from a tactical point of view, the aesthetics of the 10 rnd. are more appealing to me. (I just liked how they looked in the rifle better than the way the others looked.)

As far as accuracy goes, I've never shot for groups yet. I just took her out and shot from the shoulder at a can about 40 yds. off and it was hitting close enough for me to believe it's going to be pretty accurate from a sandbag. It's a perfect, lightweight little carbine that throws a respectable bullet downrange.

I'm not a big fan of any of any centerfire bullet less than .30 caliber. Most of what I shoot are 7.62x 39, .30-30, .303, .308., .30-06, 8mm, .45LC, and .45-70. So, the Mini-30 made more sense to me than the Mini-14.

I have a Mini-14 ("New" 580 Series), and AR-15 (A3 20" HBAR), and an AK (SGL21-66). In truth I love all three for different reasons....
    The AR for it's accuracy, ergos, ease of optics mounting, cheap mags and especially the ease of finding spares.

The AK for it's "feel", cheap ammo, cheap mags, reliability and the fact that it is an AK.

The Mini-14 for it's absolute reliability with any and all 5.56, excellent combat accuracy (not bad from a bench either), M1 Carbine feel and ergos, clean shooting (i.e. all carbon ends up in the forearm; and I find it impossible to believe that ANY amount of carbon fouling could cause a malfunction or plug the gas "piston"), light weight, and it's ease of optics mounting is up there with any other auto-loader (it comes with it's own rings). I am not thrilled about the cost of mags, but they are easy to find factory Ruger mags these days and judging by the quality of them, I wont need to buy more then the 8 I have.

And while all three are stupidly easy to field strip and maintain, I have to give a nod to the mini, cause to be perfectly honest, I really don't see much of a reason to strip it down all that often as the gas system is MASSIVE, not apart of the receiver, and most of the cleaning and oiling you need to do can be accomplished by simply locking the bolt back, and going at it with a brush and oiling the rails.

Oh, and it comes in Stainless, and if you are into that kinda thing, good luck finding another Auto-Loading utility rifle with that feature (I'm looking at you AR and AK).

Here is mine...

I have added a Hogue Overmolded Stock in "Ghillie Green" and a M4-S Upper Rail by UltiMak for a red dot (About a 130 bucks) I have taken it to the range now twice, and it's not going anywhere, it will shoot ammo that will turn my AR into a "Bolt Gun" and has yet to fail to go bang, or load a fresh cartridge in close to 600 trigger pulls (even in the "dusty as a motherfucker" Pawnee Grasslands where I have to often times, dump powdery dirt out of the action when I pick up the gun).

I love my AR and I built it myself, but I foresee it going LONG before this mini. I would say it's a little more accurate then my AK but a little less then my AR at 2-3" groups at 100 using the red dot pictured and shooting prone in the wind of Northern Colorado.

Here are a few videos by a guy who does decent gun revues online (I like him, some guys don't), and talks IN DEPTH about the platform while also reviewing some decent 30 round Tapco mags that are a bit less then Rugers. I'll probably buy some of those mags myself.

All things considered I think the new Mini is AS GOOD as any commercially available auto-loading utility (I am beginning to hate the word "tactical") rifle that you can buy, and better then some of it's peers.

Anyway, i'd be interested to see what direction you go, and weather or not you are happy with it down the road.
    Last edited by gpwasr10; 04-11-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for the replies. This isn't an immediate purchase so I think I'll check out Wally World and see what AR's they might have as well as my local gun shops for a used or new Mini and see what comes up.

We do have a Sportsmans Warehouse reopening here in a week and I get gift cards for them from my Rewards card so I might run into a sweet deal during their grand opening and $100 in gift cards would make for a nice discount on the purchase. Thanks again to everyone.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast