Thread: The Reason America is in Trouble

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

The Reason America is in Trouble

I was talking to a friend at work yesterday. He seems to be fairly conservative so this really surprised me. He says that when President Obama was first elected he did not support him, even now he does not agree with many of the President's positions, but he plans to support his bid for re-election. Anyone care to guess why my friend supports Obama now?

Turns out that he received a sizeable check from the government or from a government sponsored program that allowed him to get rid of a house he was underwater on. I stated that this was the problem with Democrats and Republicans, more with Democrats, is that instead of doing what is good for the country they are buying votes with other peoples money. My friend agreed, and then stated that "when someone gives you that much money, it buys alot of loyalty".

I almost vomited.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I was talking to a friend at work yesterday. He seems to be fairly conservative so this really surprised me. He says that when President Obama was first elected he did not support him, even now he does not agree with many of the President's positions, but he plans to support his bid for re-election. Anyone care to guess why my friend supports Obama now?

Turns out that he received a sizeable check from the government or from a government sponsored program that allowed him to get rid of a house he was underwater on. I stated that this was the problem with Democrats and Republicans, more with Democrats, is that instead of doing what is good for the country they are buying votes with other peoples money. My friend agreed, and then stated that "when someone gives you that much money, it buys alot of loyalty".

I almost vomited.
    I would take the money and laugh as I pulled the Ron Paul lever.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I would take the money and laugh as I pulled the Ron Paul lever.
    Not that it's going to matter. With the number of swing state electronic votes to be counted in Spain by a company owned by a friend of Soros's...I don't see anyone but the zero winning in Nov...
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 04-26-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Not that it's going to matter. With the number of swing state electronic votes to be counted in Spain by a company owned by a friend of Soros's...I don't see anyone but the zero winning in Nov...
    Let's not start looking for conspiracy excuses if Obama wins.

Truth is, Romney isn't a terribly strong candidate, doesn't have much support from his own party and isn't even garnering as much support as he pulled off against McCain in the 2008 primaries as the underdog.

I actually think the race will be pretty close, as there are a lot of disgruntled Dems who haven't seen their lot improve under O and won't bother showing up to vote for him again. But I'm not going to go around saying the votes were rigged or there was election fraud if Romney does happen to win.

Truth is, with so much unaccountable corporate cash flowing in (thanks to the Citizen's United decision) -- most of it used to smear Democrats -- it could very well poison the well enough that Romney pulls through. Nothing conspiratorial about it, just plain ol' cause-and-effect.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Let's not start looking for conspiracy excuses if Obama wins.

Truth is, Romney isn't a terribly strong candidate, doesn't have much support from his own party and isn't even garnering as much support as he pulled off against McCain in the 2008 primaries as the underdog.

I actually think the race will be pretty close, as there are a lot of disgruntled Dems who haven't seen their lot improve under O and won't bother showing up to vote for him again. But I'm not going to go around saying the votes were rigged or there was election fraud if Romney does happen to win.

Truth is, with so much unaccountable corporate cash flowing in (thanks to the Citizen's United decision) -- most of it used to smear Democrats -- it could very well poison the well enough that Romney pulls through. Nothing conspiratorial about it, just plain ol' cause-and-effect.
    Your reply is totally off topic, but it is also so blantantly wrong that I need to provide a little perspective. The Democrats are starting to be concerned because the corporate donations given to President Obama during the last campain have slowed. Most probably because after taking their money the first time, he has repeatadly thrown them under the bus and demonized them for being good at making money and making jobs. Check out these two links to be reminded that big business supports Democrats just as much, if not more than Republicans.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/co...?cid=N00009638

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr...money-20120406

I didn't even look at the entertainment industry, which besides giving money provides untold amounts of free advertising for Obama and the Democrats by the way conservatives are portrayed in most TV shows, movies and even most news programs.

That was not, as I stated, the point of my post. The point of my post is that there is a problem when the party in power, or any party for that matter, can buy votes to stay in power using tax payer money.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I almost vomited.
    I'd like to punch your friend so hard that when he wakes up his clothes will be way out of style!

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

The Reason America is in Trouble-Is because we have idiot voters electing idiot politicians! Your friend is a prime example.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

How does that saying go? Democracy lasts until the people find they can vote themselves ever bigger rewards with the public tresury, or something like that. When I have the time perhaps I will look it up.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Anyone who expects or feels "entitled" to free tax-payer money courtesy of Zero will vote for him. If not the 1st time then now:

I got the $8,000 first time home buyer check from uncle sam under Obama and the economic stimulus check from Bush (I forgot how much that one was for, it was a few hundred I think). I steel feel wrong about it (not wrong enough to give it back mind you). I think it was a terrible idea and very poor policy on the part of the Feds. It also sets a bad precedent. One thing I have noticed about this administration is the almost patronized pandering to special interest groups, going after underwater home owners, people with student loan debt, illegal aliens, etc. They are doing nothing more than buying votes. It's, at least to me, very transparent and pathetic especially when you consider the long term ramifications.

It's also renforcingng our entitlement culture. The gubment will pay off my mortgage, the gubment will pay off my student loan, the gubment will give me money. They'll remove any sense of personal accountability and people will become "good little Nazis" and be party loyalists for life at the expense of this country's future.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    The Reason America is in Trouble-Is because we have idiot voters electing idiot politicians! Your friend is a prime example.
    This.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I'd like to punch your friend so hard that when he wakes up his clothes will be way out of style!
    +1

Found that quote I was thinking of earlier,

“A democracy is always temporary in nature;
    it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government.
    A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover
    that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.
    From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates
    who promise the most benefits from the public treasury,
    with the result that every democracy will finally collapse
    due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship”
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post

+1,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post

The only thing missing is who the quote is attributed to. I think it is Thomas Jefferson, is that correct.

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

The only thing missing is who the quote is attributed to. I think it is Thomas Jefferson, is that correct.
    Alexander Fraser Tytler, Lord Woodhouselee

'Maybe'

Wart

No one really knows who said it first. How ever Alexander Fraser Tytler usually gets the credit.

It is much like the quote "All that is needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." That one us usually attributed to Edmund Burke but, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that he said it first.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..