Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Reason America is in Trouble

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    I think you kind of hit on the biggest problem facing the conservative movement right now, besides growing diversity in the American populace and the declining prominence of the older-aged white heterosexual male. More and more conservatives are finding themselves on the wrong side of the fence when it comes to respect for science and its institutions. I'm not talking about just climate change, but more and more contempt for science altogether, everything from the basic FACT of evolution by natural selection to things like stem-cell research and various other fields.

For one reason or another, conservatives have pitted themselves against science and its secular ways, which alienates many independent/swing voters who appreciate what all science has to offer. Conservatives increasingly are being represented by the least educated, least informed, least willing to learn and consider new ideas, and more and more open disrespect of intellectuals.

That's not a recipe for long-term political success, unless you want America to become an Idiocracy.
    We did not have a problem with our science and math standing in the world until liberals taught us that competition was wrong, that everyone could be a winner. Once it became wrong to point out to someone that they were failing we started to lose our place. This is not about anyone, conservative or liberal asking hard questions about what science believes, this is about holding people to a standard. Which goes back to the original post about politicians gaining power by making people have to be held to standard, by bailing them out of decisions that they made.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    It's a medical procedure that.. as I said, is between the woman, her doctor, and her God. If more low income people were able to have this procedure when they needed it, we'd have less people suffering from poverty.
    In a medical procedure, both lives would ideally be saved. This is a euthenasia of a living human for the convenience of another human. That used to be called murder, now it is a medical procedure.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Itorlo, yes I agree with the lowering of standards point you made. When my grandfather graduated high school, he had an education which is now equal to a two year degree from a college. I also agree that Liberals caused this problem.

Again, too far left, too far right, isn't going to help us toward common sense solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    I wasn't suggesting abortion as a low-income population control method Mrriddick.
    Not once it's spelled out, no one does. But quite a few sure support the policies that get us there I bet if you think about it you're more of a libertarian then conservative or moderate.

I'm a mixture of all, in reality. All political monikers have an idea or two that are useful to some issue or policy debate. My friend considers himself a Conservative and calls me a Lefty. I don't take offense at that either, because on some topics I am a Lefty to his POV. On some issues I lean more conservative, and depending on the issue being discussed, I leave room to move either way. I just prefer discussion over hard-headed argumentation, because with discussion comes understanding. If I limit myself to one viewpoint, and get all my information from one side, I can't really determine if I'm being objective. I don't mind being shown by fact and relative data and sound logic, that my view of a particular topic is flawed or wrong. I don't get overly wrapped up with being right either, it's not a win-win if either side doesn't understand the other position. As far as I'm concerned, right now, we need to be Americans first, and force our elected officials to uphold their Oath. Bickering over petty squabbles is what will kill us all, and they know that... hence all these "wedge issue grandstanding for the base" dialogues, selling Fear. Divide & Conquer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123