Thread: the better sks ammo

the better sks ammo

hello to all

i have a 1955 Russian Tula arsenal sks and i bought about 1500 rounds of Yugoslavian surplus ammo and was wondering if their was any cleaner ammo out their that would feed better and burn with less corrosion

wolf does the job..

I have a pile of Yugo ammo BUT.. I stick to wolf for plinking .

THe Yugo has the best 'effect' on squishy stuff.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by JTD View Post
    hello to all

i have a 1955 Russian Tula arsenal sks and i bought about 1500 rounds of Yugoslavian surplus ammo and was wondering if their was any cleaner ammo out their that would feed better and burn with less corrosion
    I use Herter's, which I get at Cabela's. Since I mainly use my SKS for hog hunting, I use the 154g soft points.

All your new commercially mfg. X 39 ammo will be non corrosive,Wolf,Barnaul,Bear,Ugly,Golden Tiger etc. Herter's is just repackage Russian ammo sold by an Indonesian company that now owns the Herters name. Herters was once a big mail order company based in Wisconsin that companies like Cabalas and Bass Pro Shop base there business model on today.

As far as which ammo is best,that depends on what you want out of your rifle. Russian X 39 ammo in general is going to be dirty,there isn't that much of a difference between brands to really justify one over the other. What I base my purchase on is which shoots the most reliably and accurately in my SKS rifles.

If possible get a few boxes of each brand available to you and shoot some 50 yd. groups. It's much easier to fine tune you sights and see what affect those adjustments make at close range as well as removing any environmental as well as shooter induce shooting errors,ammo does make a difference an all rifles have a preference even in the SKS. If just throwing steel and lead downrange is all your after shoot whatever is the cheapest.

Both my Yugo and Chinese SK rifle prefer Golden Tiger followed by Brown Bear,thats the ammo I have stash away. I mainly shoot reloads in those rifles of which most are cast lead bullets.

"Herter's is just repackaged Russian ammo."

Yes it is, but it seems to be more accurate and reliable in my Yugo and my friend's Russian than Wolf is. Not sure why this should be.
    However, lately I've switched over to PPU 123g SP. Brass cartridge, shoots well, seems a bit cleaner, and the specs indicate it is
    a bit hotter round than the Herter's.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

the surplus yugo is corrosive. just about every single other box of x39 that you can possibly find on the market today besides the yugo will be non-corrosive.