Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheapest Complete AR Upper?

Big five usually throws Mossberg 500's on sale every so often for pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Let me know what the quality is like when you get it. I don't expect much from a bargain basement upper, but I am currious. Like I said, this will probably be the one that gets mated to my STAG lower.
    I just got a shipping notice from them today. I should have it in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Yep!

Personally, I would get the hammer forged, double thick chrome-lined barrels. They buy the steel for them from the FN plant here in SC. Its the same stuff they use for the M249 barrels, so I reckon its especially good for sustained fire. They're not the cheapest though.
    please tell me more

oh, and links provided would be triple nice

thanks, it's greatly appreciated

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    please tell me more

oh, and links provided would be triple nice

thanks, it's greatly appreciated
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...rifle-kit.html
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...rifle-kit.html

Check out those two links. Both are chrome-lined mid-length 16" carbines. However, one of them says "hammer-forged". The steel comes from the FN plant and is called "machine-gun steel". I don't really know much about ARs, so I can't say if its worth a difference in price, but being from SC I want a rifle built here with a barrel from the machine-gun factory in the upstate.

From the website:
    Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. The A2 style profile barrel is Mil-spec phosphate coated. Barrel is High Pressure tested, and Magnetic Particle inspected, to ensure quality and dependability, and is finished off with an F-marked front sight post with sling swivel, standard hand guards and an A2 flash hider.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I just got one of the PSA M4 uppers for a build. Its awesome.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Good looking rifle.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12