Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Complete AR Upper?

Cheapest Complete AR Upper?

Hey guys. I've got one third of an AR and I need the top half. I was originally going to take my time and order parts to build something unique and custom, but I'm currently un-armed so I'm starting to think It's time to just get the machine into working order or get off the pot.

Problem is, I'm not on a huge budget, so I'm trying to find the most affordable barreld upper of servicable quality. I'm more concerned with realibily than looks or price, but price is a BIG consideration. (Budget is between $200 - $400, and I'd like to keep it closer to $200 if I can...) Basically I want to get it running for less than the price of a completely new gun if that's possible.

I need the complete upper and the stock / tube / buffer stuff for the rear end.

I also would preferably like to buy from one of our sponsors if you all have any reccomendations.

Can anybody point me in a good direction?

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

See if S&W sells their sport uppers, they have numerous cost cutting measures.

Thanks to GPWASR10 talking me into an AR, the M&P 15 Sport is what I'm going with. The handguard is el-cheapo but it will be the only thing I replace. Tac-light and cheapo optic and my itch will be scratched.

Model one sales has a complete CAR for 330.00: http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_id=301
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Model one sales has a complete CAR for 330.00: http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_id=301
    That doesn't include the bolt carrier group or charging handle. Del-Ton has complete uppers, including bcg and ch for right at $400.00.

its not from sponsers but gunbroker.com has dpms complete uppers with quadrails for 375

also gunbroker has complete buffer assemblies with magpul ctr stocks for under 100

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

http://www.dsarms.com/products.asp?dept=59 Check out this link to DSA's web site. They seem to have some good deals going on.

I just ran across this site recently. A complete flat top upper in 5.56 $379.99 delivered.

https://sotaarms.com/home/category/view/2

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I just ran across this site recently. A complete flat top upper in 5.56 $379.99 delivered.

https://sotaarms.com/home/category/view/2
    Good deal! You might have just found the rest of my machine!

I don't know much about the 5.56 and barrel twist rates.

This one has a 1:9, is that good?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Good deal! You might have just found the rest of my machine!

I don't know much about the 5.56 and barrel twist rates.

This one has a 1:9, is that good?
    1:9 is pretty standard. It will stabilize most rounds up to 73 grains. If you are going to shoot longer, heavier bullets then a 1:7 twist might be better. Here is a link that talks about all that twist rate stuff.

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/perf_whattwist.html

1:9 is pretty standard. It will stabilize most rounds up to 73 grains. If you are going to shoot longer, heavier bullets then a 1:7 twist might be better. Here is a link that talks about all that twist rate stuff.

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/perf_whattwist.html
    Thanks! I don't want to get terribly fancy with feeding the thing. I'll be working with the standard bullet weights. Since it's a going to be a utility weapon I'll be sticking to utility ammo choices. Not a huge fan of the relatively light impact delivered by a .223 bullet, but they are darn accurate and it will open a human head like a watermelon in the most disturbing way. The accuracy and range seem to be what puts these machines ahead of the Kalashnikovs fielded by our enemies in terms of overall lethality. Of course having the best trained proffessional soldiers in history behind the things doesn't hurt at.

Man, even at $379 it migh be a while before I can afford one. Life gets in the way and all...

Thanks! I don't want to get terribly fancy with feeding the thing. I'll be working with the standard bullet weights. Since it's a going to be a utility weapon I'll be sticking to utility ammo choices. Not a huge fan of the relatively light impact delivered by a .223 bullet, but they are darn accurate and it will open a human head like a watermelon in the most disturbing way. The accuracy and range seem to be what puts these machines ahead of the Kalashnikovs fielded by our enemies in terms of overall lethality. Of course having the best trained proffessional soldiers in history behind the things doesn't hurt at.

Man, even at $379 it migh be a while before I can afford one. Life gets in the way and all...
    Accuracy is the key. I always felt it was better to hit my target with a 22 than miss it with a 44.

I hear ya. I just ordered one recently from them. Haven't got it yet, but right after I ordered it, things got a little hairy at my job. Almost wish I hadn't ordered it, just in case.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html

Palmetto state armory has M4 madness going on. Its $299 for a chrome lined M4 upper, but doesn't come with bolt carrier or charging handle.

If your totally without a longarm, get your ass to a pawn shop and pick up a cheap shotgun or lever action until you can get the AR. Its not good to go unarmed.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Accuracy is the key. I always felt it was better to hit my target with a 22 than miss it with a 44.

I hear ya. I just ordered one recently from them. Haven't got it yet, but right after I ordered it, things got a little hairy at my job. Almost wish I hadn't ordered it, just in case.
    Let me know what the quality is like when you get it. I don't expect much from a bargain basement upper, but I am currious. Like I said, this will probably be the one that gets mated to my STAG lower.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post

Palmetto state armory has M4 madness going on. Its $299 for a chrome lined M4 upper, but doesn't come with bolt carrier or charging handle.

If your totally without a longarm, get your ass to a pawn shop and pick up a cheap shotgun or lever action until you can get the AR. Its not good to go unarmed.
    And This^^^^

I'm seriously considering it as the price of an AR upper could be two used shotguns. At the moment my "gun" is a damn hatchet.

At the moment my "gun" is a damn hatchet.
    Seriously, go out tomorrow and get the most affordable gun you can press into service as a defensive arm. Every day is potentially a day you could need it and not have it. It would suck to die in a home invasion because you were waiting for that perfect AR upper.

Or find a way to finance an upper ASAP.

I'd find a cheap pump 12 gauge, preferably from the big three. (mossberg, remington, winchester)
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Seriously, go out tomorrow and get the most affordable gun you can press into service as a defensive arm. Every day is potentially a day you could need it and not have it. It would suck to die in a home invasion because you were waiting for that perfect AR upper.

Or find a way to finance an upper ASAP.

I'd find a cheap pump 12 gauge, preferably from the big three. (mossberg, remington, winchester)
    I wish I could! Honestly right now to spend the $200+ on a fire arm would mean neglecting a few responsibilities that I simply cannot afford to let go. AFA finance? I don't play on credit anymore. No dice! (Layaway might be an option though...)

Fortunately one of the reasons I'm in this spot is that I just moved to a very nice neighborhood and I'm still reeling financialy from my "ESCAPE FROM DA HOOD!!!!"
    If there was a home invasion in our apartment building at least half the tennants would be calling the cops. It's a very quite place. I've lived in the neigborhood on and off for @ five years and haven't heard so much as a single gunshot. It's all artsy hipster kids and families. Even the hobos are good people. It's kind of weird...

Anyways, I'm thinking next month. Used pump gun for sure. I could probably do that in @ four weeks. But today I have to pay the piper first. (By piper I mean the electric company, the phone company, and the realtives who loaned me money for my new place. Especially the relatives!)
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 05-22-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Chrome lined? That's a steal of a deal!!
    Last edited by American Rage; 05-22-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    Chrome lined? That's a steal of a deal!!
    Yep!

Personally, I would get the hammer forged, double thick chrome-lined barrels. They buy the steel for them from the FN plant here in SC. Its the same stuff they use for the M249 barrels, so I reckon its especially good for sustained fire. They're not the cheapest though.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 05-22-2012 at 09:33 PM.

I wish I could! Honestly right now to spend the $200+ on a fire arm would mean neglecting a few responsibilities that I simply cannot afford to let go. AFA finance? I don't play on credit anymore. No dice! (Layaway might be an option though...)

Fortunately one of the reasons I'm in this spot is that I just moved to a very nice neighborhood and I'm still reeling financialy from my "ESCAPE FROM DA HOOD!!!!"
    If there was a home invasion in our apartment building at least half the tennants would be calling the cops. It's a very quite place. I've lived in the neigborhood on and off for @ five years and haven't heard so much as a single gunshot. It's all artsy hipster kids and families. Even the hobos are good people. It's kind of weird...

Anyways, I'm thinking next month. Used pump gun for sure. I could probably do that in @ four weeks. But today I have to pay the piper first. (By piper I mean the electric company, the phone company, and the realtives who loaned me money for my new place. Especially the relatives!)
    I agree with Funk. Find a reasonably priced shotgun at a pawn shop and put it on lay away if you have to. That is how I bought my first 44 mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast