Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally stepping over to the Dark side

Finally stepping over to the Dark side

Well, after years of never getting bit by the AR bug, it finally hit me. I mentioned being interested in ARs to a good friend of mine, and a couple of days later I get a package with the FCG, an MOE grip, buffer tube, and noveske receiver end plate. All he asked was that I give it a good home and shoot the shit out of it.
    My lower (Noveske gen2) should be here early this week, along with the lower parts kit and stock. I already have an LWRC FCG here waiting. The first week of april I will be ordering a PWS Mk116 upper for it.

I'm still not set 100% on sights or optics for it. I'd prefer to run the Troy ind sights after using them a lot recently. Optics I'm at a total loss. They'll have to wait for my pocket book to catch back up anyway.

I'll keep it updated as I go along. Not only is it my first AR, but also my first AR build. I have good people watching over me, and good proper tools for it. Should be a lot of fun. I really can't wait to shoot it.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Welcome to the dark side brother. If you get a second one, be warned, they breed.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Integratedj View Post
    Well, after years of never getting bit by the AR bug, it finally hit me. I mentioned being interested in ARs to a good friend of mine, and a couple of days later I get a package with the FCG, an MOE grip, buffer tube, and noveske receiver end plate. All he asked was that I give it a good home and shoot the shit out of it.
    My lower (Noveske gen2) should be here early this week, along with the lower parts kit and stock. I already have an LWRC FCG here waiting. The first week of april I will be ordering a PWS Mk116 upper for it.

I'm still not set 100% on sights or optics for it. I'd prefer to run the Troy ind sights after using them a lot recently. Optics I'm at a total loss. They'll have to wait for my pocket book to catch back up anyway.

I'll keep it updated as I go along. Not only is it my first AR, but also my first AR build. I have good people watching over me, and good proper tools for it. Should be a lot of fun. I really can't wait to shoot it.
    Congratulations on finally coming to your senses! I know there are a lot of enthusiasts of the other type of gun I can't mention here. I personally love my AR and have enjoyed shooting it immensely.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Congrats. As much as I like my AK's, I also have a soft spot for the AR's - the American AK. And yes, they do breed. I started with one and now have four.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

There are already plans for a second build for my wife. Probably going to build on a sionics receiver set for that one. Going to make it as light as possible without going with a plastic lower.

There are also wheels turning in my head in regards to doing an SBR setup using the 300aac.
    The black rifle sickness is definitely a strong one. I just wish it hadn't taken this long to hit me.

Just so you know, if you ever think you are going to "just get a second uppoer" for your lower you will end up with a dedicated lower for it within months.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Just so you know, if you ever think you are going to "just get a second uppoer" for your lower you will end up with a dedicated lower for it within months.
    Too true, too true!

Waiting sucks.

Get a .22 conversion or dedicated upper for it too. Its nice to shoot all day for ten bucks.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Congrats on the pending AR build. They are usually very accurate by AK standards. Ditto the .22 LR conversion or even better a dedicated upper for cheap shooting but 90% of the same routine to function the weapon.

Ok, so the lower is now assembled and waiting till I can get the upper in April. It's going to be a looooong couple of weeks waiting on that to get here.

A 22 conversion is definitely on the list. Not just for target practice, but I also do a lot of rabbit hunting. It'll probably be a tacsol upper for that. I really liked the last one I shot, and the 2211 upper I have from them has been a great product.

Now if only I could find some kick ass deal on a 6 or 8 pack of pmags. I've been spoiled with cheap ak mags and the buk deals on them.

I really like the noveske gen2 lower. Nice flared magwell, built in trigger guard, forged. Nice simple markings on the sides instead of giant flashy logos. I'm also happy with the acs-l stock. It's a little longer than the others, and it doesn't rip beard hair out like the ctr does. I think I've settled on an aim point for this one also. The aim point PRO is such a good deal right now it's hard to pass up. I still haven't decided on what irons to use.

i had the same problem. Although I have a carbon-15, i wanted an ar for its flexibility on barrels/calibers. Ran into a like new Olympic MFR CAR 16" W/2 mags, 3 point sling and hard case for $500 so I got my entry level rifle. There sure is a difference in weight as the carbon 15 weighs under 4 lbs, but i think I am going to like its flexibility in a parts, etc

identical to this one except fixed stock
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=284248055

Holy crap I've waited too long for this. Damn the Obama 2012 gun run. Douche bag.

Any way, I could find plenty of 5.56 pws mk116 uppers in April when I was supposed to get the rest of my money. My buddy that owed me of course had woman problems which meant no money in April. So, may first I get my pay off and try to order the upper that day... Unobtainium... Every last dealer seems to be on back order until August if I am lucky. So last night I made an executive decision and ordered a mk116 upper in 300 AAC. I was planning on a 300 build anyway, but was going to get the 5.56 guns out of the way first.
    It will suit my needs better as I can use it for deer hunting as well as all the normal rolls an ar can fill. I was really hesitant because of ammo availability, but then I remembered all the 5.56 brass I have and can make a weekend of reforming to300 AAC. It will also be a lot better shooting suppressed which is a primary goal with this gun. Depending on how my wife likes it I may just build her a 300 also to keep ammo types down in my house. So, sometime next week it will get here and all I'll have left to get is the optics for it. Some sort of 1-4x I think, unless I really like the aimpoint with magnifier when I go try one next week.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    +1

And just wait until you start thinking that 16" is too long. You're only a step away from another addiction.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Quote Originally Posted by nfa1934 View Post
    +1

And just wait until you start thinking that 16" is too long. You're only a step away from another addiction.
    I am already afflicted with that addiction and I know it will happen with my ar. I'm just not in the mood for a 6-8month wait for the fucking ATF to do their unconstitutional jobs right now. Once I do there will be a 9in 300aac upper coming.
    Last edited by Integratedj; 05-26-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Wow, you're really jumping into the deep end for your first build. Thats some high end stuff you got there. Please get some pics up...we like pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Wow, you're really jumping into the deep end for your first build. Thats some high end stuff you got there. Please get some pics up...we like pictures.
    I will. If this thing ever gets here...
    I've never wanted an AR before, mainly because the caliber always limited me to varmint hunting and target shooting. That coupled with my hate for cleaning weapons, and my extreme hate for gas and carbon blowing all over my face when shooting suppressed kept me away for years. (the first time I shot a suppressed AR I almost lost my eyesight in my right eye from all the crap that came back and some how made it around my eye pro. Really turned me off for a bit).
    I shot a mk114 in 5.56 and really liked it. Then I shot it suppressed and liked it a whole lot more. Then after a couple of mags the bolt was removed and handed to me. No heat and it was still freaking clean. Sold.

I figure once it gets here I'll give it a good test run, and then out come the spray cans for a desert camo job.

If you guys have any suggestions on a good 1-4x24mm optic I am all ears. I want to keep the price on the optic sub $500 if possible as I'm not sure the variable will be a long term optic in place of an aimpoint or something.

I am already afflicted with that addiction and I know it will happen with my ar. I'm just not in the mood for a 6-8month wait for the fucking ATF to do their unconstitutional jobs right now. Once I do there will be a 9in 300aac upper coming.
    It's not that bad, in the meantime you can buy even more shit or different uppers to go along with it.

+ things are going to be speeding up slightly this summer on the processing end, BUT ... CLEO is going away.
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 05-26-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Last edited by Bluntforce; 09-07-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

I will. If this thing ever gets here...
    I've never wanted an AR before, mainly because the caliber always limited me to varmint hunting and target shooting. That coupled with my hate for cleaning weapons, and my extreme hate for gas and carbon blowing all over my face when shooting suppressed kept me away for years. (the first time I shot a suppressed AR I almost lost my eyesight in my right eye from all the crap that came back and some how made it around my eye pro. Really turned me off for a bit).
    I shot a mk114 in 5.56 and really liked it. Then I shot it suppressed and liked it a whole lot more. Then after a couple of mags the bolt was removed and handed to me. No heat and it was still freaking clean. Sold.

I figure once it gets here I'll give it a good test run, and then out come the spray cans for a desert camo job.

If you guys have any suggestions on a good 1-4x24mm optic I am all ears. I want to keep the price on the optic sub $500 if possible as I'm not sure the variable will be a long term optic in place of an aimpoint or something.
    Couple of suggestions for the gas in the face. My .300 BLK upper is a side-charging LAR upper, the opening where the charging handle usually goes has a plug that screws out so you can remove the bolt carrier. No opening = no gas in the face. The other suggestion is a gas-buster charging handle. It has a channel that directs most of the gas to the side and away from your face.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast