Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a Smith and Wesson Forum?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Is there a Smith and Wesson Forum?

I am looking for a rare Revoliver, a Smith and Wesson Model 547, .9mm, 3 Inch Barrel, Square Grips. The Model 547 is from 1981. Hard to find the exact one I am looking for. Is there a Buy and Sale Forum just for S&W's?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

On the internet or just here on Gunsnet. With respect to the internet, don't know. Here, no there isn't.

Thanks. I have been looking.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Richard Simmons knows a ton about them. If hes still around here. I wonder how many guys are missing because gunsnet just doesn't work at their house, like in my case. Can't log in from one of my main residences.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I fould the S&W forum, will register on it.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

They're out there but pretty scarce. I'll check my reference when I get home tonight but IIRC, the 3" was round butt only. The 4" model came with the square butt. Depending on condition you could be looking at over $1000 for one NIB.

Can't remember the model but S&W also made a J frame in 9x19. Maybe a 940? That one I would like to get ahold of. IMHO the 547 is pretty much a Model 10 in 9x19. Ballistically I'm not sure there is any gain over good .38 Special loads but, that being said it would still make a nice addition to any handejector collection.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

I'm looking at the Standard Catalog fo Smith & Wesson - 3rd Edition and it shows the 3" version only being made from 1984-1985. I would agree with Richard on the fact that they're scare and the value.

Richard, your memory is correct! The Model 940 was the 9mm J-frame revolver.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    I'm looking at the Standard Catalog fo Smith & Wesson - 3rd Edition and it shows the 3" version only being made from 1984-1985. I would agree with Richard on the fact that they're scare and the value.

Richard, your memory is correct! The Model 940 was the 9mm J-frame revolver.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. That was my reference of choice as well. Kind of hoping Supica and Nahas come out with a 4th edition. My 3rd edition is one of the autographed copies so I'll keep it forever but a newer edition would be nice. I'm amazed at the amount of information that keeps popping up every year on the forums as people exchange more and more information.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Exclamation

Thanks everyone, I found the S&W Forum. Here is the version of the Smith and Wession Model-547 .9mm Revolver. I am looking for! 3 Inch with the Cutout on the top of the Left Grip. they are squared off at the Bottom. I cannot find this exact Version anywhere. The one's I have found either or 4 Inch, or have different Grip's on them. If someone has this Model let me know. Paul

Not a perfect solution but if you could locate a 4", particularly one that's not in Excellent or better condition you could have the barrel cut back and maybe round butt the grip frame. Depending on what you paid you could be into it for less than what you would if you found true 3". The problem is that what ones you do find are usually LNIB if not NIB and command a real premium.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Question

What are these type of Grips called? I noticed there are 2 different type's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    What are these type of Grips called? I noticed there are 2 different type's.
    The stocks on the gun in your photo are Banana grips, I think. Let me check for sure.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Hobe, what you're seeing on the left side is a relief in the grip for using a speed loader. They are factory grips known as Walnut Magna. Hope this helps.

Steve

Question

Steve,

Aren't those "round butt target stocks"? I was wrong on the Banana grips. They look similar but I believe the Banana are for J frames.

OK, no I'm really confused. I'm finding references to Banana stocks and Round Butt Target Stocks being used interchangeably between round butt K and J frame Smiths.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 05-10-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thank's for the Info. and help.

Hobe, I do need to correct myself. The picture you posted shows optional Goncalo Alves round butt combat grips.

Steve

they have them on gunsnet from time to time.

pricey if I recall

hmmmm, seems to be two on gunbroker right now

one has 2 bids for $555

the other has 5 bids at $696

IIRC, they usually sale for around $1100

Personally, I think you could find a better deal on a 9mm revolver from Ruger. Do a search for a Speed/security/service six in 9mm or an SP101 in the same caliber. they usually go for around $700

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Hobe, I do need to correct myself. The picture you posted shows optional Goncalo Alves round butt combat grips.

Steve
    Steve. All the factory combat stocks I've seen have finger grooves.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Wink

I got one, off Gunbroker, with the Grips I wanted. There were 2 for sale on the Site. Also a 4 Inch as well. the other one had those lousy small Grips.

I hope it was one that I mentioned

Pics would be nice if you would please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast