Thread: Savage model 30 shotgun help

Savage model 30 shotgun help

I have a friends Savage model 30 shotgun that I'm in the process of cleaning up. It is in REALLY rough condition, with rust and pitting on the outside, but the not exposed parts look alright. So, I stripped it, and pulled the bolt out for cleaning ... and I can't get it to work right... The slide release won't engage to keep the pump from cycling, and if I manually engage it it won't release to cycle after pulling the trigger. Its gotta be a spring out of position, but I'm not sure precisely where they need to go... Anyone got any help?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

cevulirn, here is an exploded view of the Model 30. You'll probably want to focus on items #27 thru #30. Hope this helps!

http://stevespages.com/ipb-savage-30.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

What series is it? pm sent
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

It is a series C, with the slide safety.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/images/s..._30J_schem.jpg

What I can't figure out is where the end of the spring (part 41) needs to go for proper function.

Alright, almost have it working... Here's the thing. When the trigger is pulled, it doesn't disengage the slide stop. It locks up fine now, but won't unlock. Back to that little spring (part 41) The only way I can see it working is for that bend to catch on the nub on the hammer, but it doesn't seem to want to work that way.

grr... PITA

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    Alright, almost have it working... Here's the thing. When the trigger is pulled, it doesn't disengage the slide stop. It locks up fine now, but won't unlock. Back to that little spring (part 41) The only way I can see it working is for that bend to catch on the nub on the hammer, but it doesn't seem to want to work that way.

grr... PITA
    Well an update please!

be the heat..

It has been sitting since that update... Works, but have to hit the slide every time. Might be the angle of the spring is wrong? I did try jamming it in some weird ways when the obvious didn't work.

Does the action work when its loaded?
    Did you go to the web site I pm'd you.

be the heat..

Savage slide release spring adjustment

Adjusting the slide lock spring on a Savage pump can be a pain. They get mangled or tweaked and no longer release the slide after firing. Many various models incorporate the same system with, perhaps, some measurement differences but working the same way. I'm attaching a link to an article on it (even though they say rifle instead of shotgun) that may be of use.

Two things I'll note: the spring needs to be fairly tight against the release bar with a bent end at the hook to catch the tit on the hammer that pushes the assembly down (to unlock, via the spring);
    AND - note that when the lower half is assembled into the receiver, the release is somewhat depressed by the bolt riding on top of it. That means that on the bench, the release (and therefor the spring) will ride too high for the hammer tit to engage. You'll have to make allowance for that when bench testing. I usually mark the position of the release lever when the gun is still assembled so I know where to hold it for the correct position when bench testing for the right adjustment.

I'm attaching a picture of one I just had to rework (from a Sav. 69RXL, but applicable to many models).
    It was bent all to heck and gone by some "home" gunsmithing. Now it works as it's supposed to.
    Hope this helps. They can be frustrating to work over when you're not familiar with them.

http://www.gun-tests.com/special_rep...7012516-1.html
    Sav slide release & spring 01.jpg