Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone made a 45 acp ak build?

has anyone made a 45 acp ak build?

Ok so I really like pistol caliber rifles and I have been reloading 45 acp so that got me thinking:

Has anyone ever made a 45 acp AK?. Interwebs search yield nothing but dead ends.

So.how hard can it be?

The 7.62x39 casing rim is 11.3mm, 45acp rim is 12.2mm per Wikipedia.
    Shaving off .45mm of the bolt facing should allow for the 45 acp to be gripped and extracted.

A 45 barrel will have to pressed into the AK trunion.

Then the mag well modified

Making it feed and cycle will probably be the biggest PITA.
    Especially since I don't have a hotbox and my neighbors would freakout if they heard gunfire.

Am I one the right track?

I'm I missing something?

I started one quite a while ago, I got to the test firing stage with a temporary mag in place. I went with a simply blow back action that required me to weld the bolt and carrier together, I had to open the bolt face just a tad and modify the OEM extractor with a dremil (made the rim slot deeper). I used a M14 recoil spring, Marlin Camp 45 barrel and G3 front sight base along with a Saiga handguard. I pretty much lost interest in the idea soon after a couple range trips testing it out but I still have the base rifle somewhere.

so I am on the right track.

What issues did you run into with the firing.

What magazine did you use?

Wheels in my head are turning.....bad things are gonna happen.

BW

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 a-kmanator's Avatar

Yes,I have one..Blowback... sleeved USA 45 uzi barrel...home fabbed magwell...grease gun mags.....fun to shoot...Yes!

Click on picture for video

I have one in 44 magnum gas operated also...but cant get it to cycle properly and is on the back burner for now....uses a dessert eagle mag.
    Last edited by a-kmanator; 05-12-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a-kmanator View Post
    Yes,I have one..Blowback... sleeved USA 45 uzi barrel...home fabbed magwell...grease gun mags.....fun to shoot...Yes!

I have one in 44 magnum gas operated also...but cant get it to cycle properly and is on the back burner for now....uses a dessert eagle mag.
    You make the coolest toys. You are batman of the Gunsnet!
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

[QUOTE=a-kmanator;225975]Yes,I have one..Blowback... sleeved USA 45 uzi barrel...home fabbed magwell...grease gun mags.....fun to shoot...Yes!

Can I be like you when i grow up??

Ok so what did you do with the bolt?

Did you weld it up.

I saw a barrel from Green Mountain for a thompson that is 1 inch diameter. Per my research the AK barrel are .908 inches.

Looks like with is becoming more and more a reality.

Last edited by kalbos; 05-13-2012 at 09:33 AM.

The bolt pocket was opened up with a diamond encrusted dremmel bit to fit the larger 45 case and then I milled out the rotation slot in the carrier to allow the bolt to sit in the rear position unlocked but can easily be removed from the carrier then added an extension to the carrier and the handle was relocated.The UZI barrel I had to sleeve but the yugo gas block/sight fit perfect.Still has the piston on for added weight.I used a factory ejector but to do over I would use a custom ejector moved way forward to prevent opening up the top cover to let the spent cases out.

Thats cool as all get out man! Really a awesome piece, id love a .45 AK
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

could you have trimmed the top cover to let the casing fly out?

now to start looking for a kit to build on.

I am looking at the AMD kit side folder.

Possibly make is a pistol.

AK45 ACP pistol. How awesome would that be.

BW

So here's what I got so far.

I am getting a romanian AK47 part kit.
    The magazine is a M3 grease gun magazine from keepshooting.com
    The width of the mag is roughly the same as an AK mag. it even first the front trunnion feed ramps nicely. I plan on taking some scrap metal and welding on the front and rear mag retaining tabs. The idea is to use the existing AK mag retainer instead of making a custom mag housing.

I bought a 45 acp 20 inch barrel blank from Green mountain. This is a massive 20"x1" barrel. it needs to be turned down slightly for the AK front trunnion but in order to fit the Rear sight block, I had to get a Yugo RPK rear sight block. I am going to make it a blow back bolt so I don't care about the gas port, but if I were to do it over again, I would have gotten an uzi barrel and sleeved it.

I am having my gunsmith cut the barrel into two sections. One is a 14 inch barrel and the other is a 6 inch barrel. The barrels need to be chambered and crowned. I plan on building a 45ACP carbine with the 14 inch barrel making it legal with a 2 inch welded extension. I will be keeping the 6 inch section for a 45ACP pistol.

all my parts are at the gunsmith or enroute to me so I can't take any pictures. The build will take place on the 16th so hopefully by the 17th I will be able to go to the range for a test shot.

Thanks A-Kmanator for your help on this project. I will have a more detailed write up when everything is done. I hope I have enough time to take pics while I am building.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

a-kmanator has an ak in every caliber ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    a-kmanator has an ak in every caliber ever made.
    He doesn't have a 454c/colt 45. AK
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

A-Kmanator, not sure if you are monitoring this thread, but when you said that your would have made a custom ejector moved way forward, what did you mean?

I should get the parts kit in next week and I will be able to play with the bolt.

Thanks again

BW

Quote Originally Posted by kalbos View Post
    A-Kmanator, not sure if you are monitoring this thread, but when you said that your would have made a custom ejector moved way forward, what did you mean?

I should get the parts kit in next week and I will be able to play with the bolt.

Thanks again

BW
    to butt in, feel free to correct me if im wrong, bu i think i got this.

what he meant was that he used the factory lower rails. the ejector is part of the lower rail. the ejector on the factory rail is set up to eject the 7.62x39 case, or any other case of that length. the 45 is much, much shorter over all, so the bolt pulls the casing out of the chamber, then starts a LOOOONG rearward travel to the ejector before it is spit out.

if you we to make a custom lower rail, and therefore, ejector, you could move it forward so that the position it is in is more suitable to a .45 length round than the x39 round.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post
    He doesn't have a 454c/colt 45. AK
    ............yet.

to butt in, feel free to correct me if im wrong, bu i think i got this.

what he meant was that he used the factory lower rails. the ejector is part of the lower rail. the ejector on the factory rail is set up to eject the 7.62x39 case, or any other case of that length. the 45 is much, much shorter over all, so the bolt pulls the casing out of the chamber, then starts a LOOOONG rearward travel to the ejector before it is spit out.

if you we to make a custom lower rail, and therefore, ejector, you could move it forward so that the position it is in is more suitable to a .45 length round than the x39 round.
    What He said /\ Move the ejector forward and you won't have to clearance the top cover for the cases to exit like I did...

............yet.
    Give me a 10 rd.plus mag for that caliber.........then I'll put an AK around it The mag is the key to the build..then the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by a-kmanator View Post
    Give me a 10 rd.plus mag for that caliber.........then I'll put an AK around it The mag is the key to the build..then the barrel.
    Promag have them for the desert eagles & ruger makes them for their carbine, but I don't think you wanna use theirs.
    Last edited by Moebrown20; 06-08-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Dremeled the bolt face out.

Started working to the bolt carrier

Last edited by kalbos; 10-05-2012 at 04:10 PM.

922(r) question.

If I use the piston is a bolt carrier guide rod & don't drill holes for the gas, is it still a piston.

Will it cease being a piston if I cut slots the allow the non-existant gas to blow by?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast