Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SKS vs. AR-15

I have both, I bought my yugo for $100
    got my AR-15 for $900.

I love them both, overall I gotta go with
    My old beatup SKS.

What about you guys?

I had to go with the sks, simply because I am familiar with it and I don't own an AR.

Odlly, I've seen both jam constantly when using cheap aftermarket parts.

If I had to pick it would be based on what they're getting used for.

Or just give me one of the SKS models that can accept AK mags. I can can dig it!

I have 3 sks's and have owned 3 ar's, 2 of which are still in my safe.

The AR is the better rifle hands down. when properly maintained and using quality parts I have never had an issue with mine. the SKSs can be just as finiky as a poorly maintained AR.

The ar is now a truly modular platform that you can do anything you wish with and quality parts are abundant. The same can't be said for the SKS, its usually someones attempt to trick one out using cheap Tapco parts.

The SKS was meant to be a disposable rifle to issue to peasants that were even more disposable than the rifle.

IMHO they are fun to shoot, interesting from a historical perspective but they are cheap commie junk for the most part.

I have 2 yugo sks's love them both. An AR has more accessorys than Barbie!

To me, this is apples and oranges. Both are fine rifles. Of course the AR is the more refined, more accurate rifle. It is also the more expensive one (or should be, damned price increases on cheap imported SKS rifles!!!!!)

I love them both for different reasons. The SKS is a wonderful CHEAP utility rifle. I'm not thrilled with the top load with stripper clips (I don't use those bastardized AK mag types anyway, if it did not appear in battle, I don't have it in that configuration).

don't and wont own an AR.

i do own 3 SKS's and they all shoot straight and true with very few failures (the only one was a clogged gas switch on a Yugo). the Tula and the Chicom are great!
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No comparison, the AR is the vastly superior weapon.

I own several of both. They are different and I like each for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Superior gun, not a superior weapon IMO.
    The better weapon is the one least likely to fail in combat, can operate even when covered in filth and can't be cleaned, and hits the hardest. The SKS wins in those categories.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

I refuse to pay $900 for an American style AR when I can get an SKS for $200.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankeedog View Post
    I refuse to pay $900 for an American style AR when I can get an SKS for $200.
    Mosins are even cheaper. You should just get a 91/30 since your so budget oriented.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Agreed But damn I love a SKS lol

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    HARD CHOICE BUT MY A.R KICKS MY SKS'S ASS ALL OVER THA FUCKIN PLACE MAN

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    HARD CHOICE BUT MY A.R KICKS MY SKS'S ASS ALL OVER THA FUCKIN PLACE MAN
    Well if its the one in your profile pic, then take off about 50lbs of ad ons and shoot it iron sites to iron sites.

was_peacemaker
    This all depends on the context of what your talking about. The AR is a great military rifle if given proper support and maintenance.

The SKS is a better weapon for a survivalist in a SHTF mode. Simply put its easier to maintain....one can carry a 100 rounds on 10 stripper clips in a heavy jacket and not worry about keeping up with a bulky assault vest or extra mags. You can apply used motor oil to clean and lube it if you have to, and in a close in fight where buttstocks and bayonets come in handy...it would out perform the AR.

Granted the AR is more accurate and has a higher rate of fire....but in a survival situation where its you and the woods...chances are you don't want to get your self in a situation where you are going to need rapid fire. If you do...then chances are you have messed up big time!

Don't get me wrong like many of you I do own weapons that take hi-cap detachable mags because in a doomsday situation they would have their place...but a civilian thinking for a second that they would have the initial advantage in a gunfight is not a dream but a fantasy.

Also hi-cap mags loads up and stored in an area are heavy and tiresome. I am still athletic enough to run a sub-5 sec. 40 yard dash....and I can still jump and climb with the best of them. If I am scouting, hunting, or on the move....I will take the SKS.

I see AK's, AR's, FAL's, and HK-91's as camp defense weapons not weapons I want to move in the woods with. I can spread 100 rounds in 10 round stripper clips around my body in a old military style coat and move, sneak, hunt and trap much more proficiently with an SKS than all the others that require heavy mags, and mag pouches/assault vests.

Also with the SKS in its stock config. I don't have to worry as much about snow, sleet, ice, dirt, water, and mud. How many of you plan on carrying bottle of Hoppes 9 and cotton patches out in the woods if SHTF? You can take a boot string and some thick leaves with some motor oil and clean the SKS...who wants to try that with the AR?

In the end we all like to think we would stay for a fight and lay out 30 rounds...but as civilians in a SHTF scenario....we lack the ammo, fire support, air support and artillery. Lets be honest many civilians lack the hunting, tracking, fishing, and other skills one needs to know in order to survive.

Here is the thing. Figure out how much your rifle of choice ways...determine how much ammo you are willing to carry and make weights, wooden props or whatever to simulate that weight run between 1-2 miles and see if it is something you can handle. Then find a nature trail, park or wooded area and use the same (non-weapon) weight and move on rugged ground, through the woods, creeks...heck even one rope bridge or rappel with your weighted non-weapon props. See what works out for you....

A. A high maintenance weapon that was designed with a logistical support function behind it, that requires 30 rnd. mags that are bulky and weigh you down with having to carry a assault vest or ALICE gear.

B. A solid stocked weapon that require little maintenance, is accurate enough for hunting, and defense and the ammo can be carried spread out over a large coat without holding a persons abilities back.

I will take the SKS myself.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011

I'm not really sure the context for having to choose one over the other, they both have their roll. I'm a huge SKS fan, but if I could only choose one or the other for good... it would be the AR.