View Poll Results: SKS VS. AR-15

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SKS vs. AR-15

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Mosins are even cheaper. You should just get a 91/30 since your so budget oriented.
    Moneys not the issue its the stupidity of paying lots because its an American gun just like the over priced Garand.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    HARD CHOICE BUT MY A.R KICKS MY SKS'S ASS ALL OVER THA FUCKIN PLACE MAN

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    HARD CHOICE BUT MY A.R KICKS MY SKS'S ASS ALL OVER THA FUCKIN PLACE MAN
    Well if its the one in your profile pic, then take off about 50lbs of ad ons and shoot it iron sites to iron sites.

was_peacemaker
    This all depends on the context of what your talking about. The AR is a great military rifle if given proper support and maintenance.

The SKS is a better weapon for a survivalist in a SHTF mode. Simply put its easier to maintain....one can carry a 100 rounds on 10 stripper clips in a heavy jacket and not worry about keeping up with a bulky assault vest or extra mags. You can apply used motor oil to clean and lube it if you have to, and in a close in fight where buttstocks and bayonets come in handy...it would out perform the AR.

Granted the AR is more accurate and has a higher rate of fire....but in a survival situation where its you and the woods...chances are you don't want to get your self in a situation where you are going to need rapid fire. If you do...then chances are you have messed up big time!

Don't get me wrong like many of you I do own weapons that take hi-cap detachable mags because in a doomsday situation they would have their place...but a civilian thinking for a second that they would have the initial advantage in a gunfight is not a dream but a fantasy.

Also hi-cap mags loads up and stored in an area are heavy and tiresome. I am still athletic enough to run a sub-5 sec. 40 yard dash....and I can still jump and climb with the best of them. If I am scouting, hunting, or on the move....I will take the SKS.

I see AK's, AR's, FAL's, and HK-91's as camp defense weapons not weapons I want to move in the woods with. I can spread 100 rounds in 10 round stripper clips around my body in a old military style coat and move, sneak, hunt and trap much more proficiently with an SKS than all the others that require heavy mags, and mag pouches/assault vests.

Also with the SKS in its stock config. I don't have to worry as much about snow, sleet, ice, dirt, water, and mud. How many of you plan on carrying bottle of Hoppes 9 and cotton patches out in the woods if SHTF? You can take a boot string and some thick leaves with some motor oil and clean the SKS...who wants to try that with the AR?

In the end we all like to think we would stay for a fight and lay out 30 rounds...but as civilians in a SHTF scenario....we lack the ammo, fire support, air support and artillery. Lets be honest many civilians lack the hunting, tracking, fishing, and other skills one needs to know in order to survive.

Here is the thing. Figure out how much your rifle of choice ways...determine how much ammo you are willing to carry and make weights, wooden props or whatever to simulate that weight run between 1-2 miles and see if it is something you can handle. Then find a nature trail, park or wooded area and use the same (non-weapon) weight and move on rugged ground, through the woods, creeks...heck even one rope bridge or rappel with your weighted non-weapon props. See what works out for you....

A. A high maintenance weapon that was designed with a logistical support function behind it, that requires 30 rnd. mags that are bulky and weigh you down with having to carry a assault vest or ALICE gear.

B. A solid stocked weapon that require little maintenance, is accurate enough for hunting, and defense and the ammo can be carried spread out over a large coat without holding a persons abilities back.

I will take the SKS myself.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011

I'm not really sure the context for having to choose one over the other, they both have their roll. I'm a huge SKS fan, but if I could only choose one or the other for good... it would be the AR.

I do luv my AR

I am new to the SKS so I may be kinda bios on it. But I do luv my AR-15 its the little black riffle that can be equiped for almost any situation is a few minutes.

i love my sino /soviet sks ,but my ar beats it hands down ......
    TREUE BIS IN DEN TOD

Sks, only because sgworks doesnt do one for the ar.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I don't own an SKS, but I have shot Chinese and Yugoslavian SKS models. Not bad plinkers. Solid gun, seems to run as well as an AK even after long periods of time without cleaning. They're fun, but I don't see any point in having one if you have an AK or AR. IMO I'd pick the AK if it were an option, but since you didn't, I'm going with the AR.

It's accurate, light, reliable so long as you clean it every once in a while (though I've never had a malfunction with mine after many, many rounds as long as I use brass cased ammo), virtually no recoil so it's easier to keep on target and transition between targets. Plus it has 30, 60, even 100 round magazines available for it that pretty much all feed reliably and are fast and simple to switch between. With the SKS you're either stuck reloading after 10 rounds either by hand, or using stripper clips. Though you can buy high cap. mags for it, these are VERY hit or miss. Most of them seem to be jam-o-matics right out of the box. Not to mention how easy you can customize your AR to fit you. An SKS... You get what you get, take it or leave it. Only thing the SKS has going for it is the cheap 7.62x39. The bayonet is cool, but not exactly a practical use.

Could not really vote as I have both, 3 SKS, 2 Chinese and one Yugo and about 10 AR-15s. Then there are the AKs and various other rifles in my collection.

it is like asking what is best, a Mercedes or a Mazda. both work one just cost more
    to run.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Ive owned a handful of SKS's over the years, just never really been a fan of them. Heavy, awkward, and just a clunker of a weapon when in my hands.
    Now an AR just works great for me. But the AK series is the same way, they just feel like extensions of my body.

AK74 :P I know it's not a choice but it's my preferred gun I'd choose a sks over a AR though.

For my AK mags i use 2 bulgarian mag pouches. one on each side. That gives me 8 spare mages and a pocket for oil.
    "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power."
    - Article 16 Vermont Constitution

My wife and I each have an AR in 7.62X39mm using ASC 20 round mags, they work flawlessly. She has a Chinese SKS and I have a 1953 Tula. I have had five SKS carbines through the years and prefer them to my AR. In consideration of what it was made for, it is a superb battle rifle having been used on battlefields in many parts of the world for over 70 years. True enough it has a fixed 10 round mag but it can be reloaded and brought back into a fight in approx 8 seconds. It's durability and reliability has been proven over and over. As the saying goes..."I hate communism but I love their weapons".

My scoped AR consistently puts rounds in a 3½ inch group at 100 yards. Not the best for an AR, but good for Russian made ammo coming out of a 16½ inch barrel @ 100 yards!
    LICENSING: When gov't takes away your right to do something then sells it back to you.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Holy Zombie Thread, Batman, look @ all the user names who are now MIA....

As far as the AR vs SKS it's a complete no-brainer.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy53 View Post
    My wife and I each have an AR in 7.62X39mm using ASC 20 round mags, they work flawlessly. She has a Chinese SKS and I have a 1953 Tula. I have had five SKS carbines through the years and prefer them to my AR. In consideration of what it was made for, it is a superb battle rifle having been used on battlefields in many parts of the world for over 70 years. True enough it has a fixed 10 round mag but it can be reloaded and brought back into a fight in approx 8 seconds. It's durability and reliability has been proven over and over. As the saying goes..."I hate communism but I love their weapons".

My scoped AR consistently puts rounds in a 3½ inch group at 100 yards. Not the best for an AR, but good for Russian made ammo coming out of a 16½ inch barrel @ 100 yards!
    Welcome to the group!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Welcome to the group!
    Thank you Sir!
    LICENSING: When gov't takes away your right to do something then sells it back to you.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

It depends on the situation. In a SHTF situation, IF you had very limited knowledge of firearms repairs and no tools or parts, then the SKS, as it is built like a tank. IF you have good repair knowledge and the right tools and parts, then the AR.

I have both weapons, Paratroop SKS's that use detachable AK mags and standard AR's, so I can go either way.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Alismith along those same lines, we have a stash of spare parts (extractors, firing pins, etc) and spring kits for our carbines and handguns plus tools in a small bag to effect repairs immediately instead of having to wait for days or weeks for parts to come in the mail.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I have a nice Russian '53 Tula but for real-world scenarios I would pick my AR or AK clones in a second over the clunky SKS.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast