Thread: Any fans of the Savage Model 99?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Any fans of the Savage Model 99?

Seen them around and knew a guy who had one but have never shot one. A few weeks back a local auction house was auctioning off a firearms collection and there must have been at least two dozen Model 99s of various years and calibers.

Most as I recall were in proprietary chamberings from Savage but there were a couple in .308 and maybe 7x57 or some other more mainstream chambering. I found quite a few of them to be kind of appealing from a visual standpoint and like the Browning BLR and the 1895 Winchester they allow for the use of ammo other than the standard round/soft nose ammo that lever guns are usually restricted to, (the new polymer tip rounds are also making inroads in that regard).

Was just wondering if there were any fans of this model on the board as I'm thinking I might look to pick one up if I run across one at a good price. Something in .308 would probably be my preference. TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

IMO The classic mod 99 should be in 250 or 300 Savage. Nice rifles and everyone I know with one loves it. I'd like to find one in 300 Savage myself for a decent price.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Thumbs up

The Savage Model 1899/99 was offered in a variety of configurations over the years. The chamberings included four proprietary cartridges from Savage. The rotary magazine allowed spitzer type bullets to be used in a lever action rifle. A very desirable feature!

Steve
    Last edited by Gunreference1; 05-18-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    After today, it's all historical.

Thumbs up I really like mine

I have one in 243 and its a great shooter.i wish they still made them.

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

they bring premium dollars in my neck of the woods. the cheapest one ive seen lately was a 300 savage plain lever with williams peeps on it, and it brought 1240$. ive seen them go as high as five grand for a takedown model.

SW

They're cool as hell! A friend of mine had one in .30-30 that was really nice to shoot. I've been looking for one since, but most of the ones I see for sale are in their propriety chamberings and/or out of my price range. I'd love to have one, it's just not high on my priorities at the moment.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thank you all for the replies. Didn't know they made a take down model. The past auction listing I was browsing had quite the variety as far as stocks and checkering. Some models had pistol grips and some did not. Gonna keep an eye out locally and see if I run across any.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Roadhouse Groupee

here's a breakdown of the various models and differences

http://www.savage99.com/models.htm

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samiam View Post
    here's a breakdown of the various models and differences

http://www.savage99.com/models.htm
    samiam, my guess is you didn't completely read my original post.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.