Thread: Maadi Stock advise

Maadi Stock advise

Hi All,
    I am new to this and all forum's, so please if I make a mistake, please go easy on me...

I have an ARM Maadi that I would like to add a Romak 991 Dragonov style stock. I have searched HIGH and LOW and cannot find any. I would think with all the upgraded options on the market, there should be a few around. Can anyone help? Or maybe it will not work on the Maadi?

Also on a different note, a guy is trying to sell me a pre ban Chinese AK 47. From what he had described, it sounds like a Hunter style. It has been in the safe for 20 years and is in great shape he says. I know that’s not much info to go on but he did not have it in front of him when I talked to him. Any thoughts on value of something like that? From what I see, it would be lots of work to change it to be a "modern day looking AK"

Thanks in advance, Jones

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    numrich has 'em, though they may be had cheaper somewhere else

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...5270&catid=999

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I would consider getting an Ironwooddesigns.com stock for the Maadi and having it more like the original...

The Hunter should go in the $400 to $650 range, maybe new in the box a little higher. I have one and like it in the original configuration. They are acurate for an AK and with a 5 round mag look like any other hunting rifle, but replace the 5 with a fourty and go to town...

Welcome to the board!!!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Don't be afraid to ask questions. We were all new to this at one time, although some people seem to forget that little factoid.

A third place to look is Gunbroker. Every now and then they show up at reasonable prices, and I never dreamed I would say this, but check ebay as they are now allowing some firearm parts, but they would be my last resort.

Hat's off to RAXAR! Correct link in around a 1/2 hour. :} ... Thank you very much.

Great suggestion by EI Lanton. I did look thru the ironwood site, very nice quality looking stuff. Thank you, but I am stuck on the Dragonov style.

Imanaknut, thanks for the new info on eBay! Very interesting...

Like I said before, I am stuck on the Dragonov and will order it... It would be nice to find some matching furniture. Thanks guys.

How about the Maadi ARM? Is it a good unit?
    I did notice when I took it off saftey, and pulled the triger one time, it click fired and I had to eject the live round. Is that something any one has heard of? Any other issues ?

As for the Hunter, the guy called and said he mentioned it to his brother and he snatched it right away. It was below EI Lanton's range. Grrr. That's the way it goes I guess.

The ARM is the most desired of the post-Bush1-ban Maadis.

When you tried to fire the round, was there an indentation on the primer from the firing pin? If so it probably was just a bad round. If there was no indentation on the primer, check to see if the firing pin is free floating in the bolt. I have seen a few that got so dirty, the firing pin couldn't make it through the hole to hit the primer.

The other possibility is that the firing pin is broken, or even missing.

Thats good to hear. I really like the gun...

It is stamped by the rear sight, 93. I am having issues attaching pictiures or I would add some. It's in good condition.

I should have explaned a bit. I had a few minutes the day after I purchased it to try it out. It fired off the first 5 no prob. Went to check the target, came back, took it off safe and it clicked. I should have looked at the round, but did not. I was a bit excited and just tried the next round. Fired just fine and no other issues. I will give it a good cleaning and see next time. I will keep my eyes open for firing pin issues thou.

Hi all,
    I just wanted to update the thread. I ordered RAXAR's sugestion this am. Last one I might add...

Thank you all for your input!

Enjoy, and please post a picture when you have your ARM completed!

Will do.

Hi All,

The stock I ordered should be here in the next day or two.

Just wondering, any suprises changing the stock, from the Maadi to the Romanian?

Any special tools/ parts ?

Thanks, Jones

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones828 View Post
    Hi All,

The stock I ordered should be here in the next day or two.

Just wondering, any suprises changing the stock, from the Maadi to the Romanian?

Any special tools/ parts ?

Thanks, Jones

no, a screwdriver and maybe a rubber mallet should do it. if the new stock is too tight to fit you can sand a little off, but don't go nuts.

if you have any trouble taking the old stock out use a rubber or plastic mallet and whack it on the left, then right sides until you notice it coming out

Hi all,
    I just wanted to give an update on changing out the stock on my Maadi.

The old stock came out easy, with a few taps of the rubber mallet as raxar recomended... The Dragonov, stock slid in nice, bolted up nice and with minor issues.

I pulled the rifle up to my shoulder and knew right away, there was an issue with the cheek weld and the sights. It is near inpossible to get down and align the sights. I did make some shots, but it was tough on the cheek... I am starting to think the Dragonov style AK's must primarly come with optics. I have done some research and determined that the Kobra EKP 8-14 red dot might work well... Thoughts? I still do need to over come the Maadi not having the side rail mount.

If anyone knows where to get a solid top mount for the AK 47 style. I really need something here... Also a Kobra red dot reflex optic source.

The cost of this project is getting out of hand...
    Thank you, Jones