Thread: Rejoining the forum/Casing Rupture

Rejoining the forum/Casing Rupture

Hi folks, it's been at least a few years since I've stopped by the old forum....long enough at least that my login info no longer worked. So I fired up a new account and am looking forward to being a part of the forum once again.

Had an interesting little occurence at the range today....the picture should tell most of the story. Happened with my SMLE....ammo was brand new Remington UMC, so I'm guessing it is a headspace issue. The rifle itself has a lot of miles on it, although I myself have only put about 100 rounds through it in the many years that its sat in my safe. Anyway, any helpful comments are welcome.

I have kind of been on a pistol bender for the last few years, but I'm getting a bit of a C&R itch lately...so I will probably be spending most of my time in this corner of the forum.

By the way, this is my first casing rupture....I was amazing how evenly and smoothly the shell broke into two pieces.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

First, welcome back!

That casing looks more like it was cut, or more appropriately scored and then hit so that it broke evently, sort of like cutting glass. The detonation of the powder would provide the shock. No idea on how it would happen. I am sure some of the other guys will have an idea though.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Well I'm no expert, but from what I understand, if the headspace is beyond tolerence levels, the shell has room to stretch under all that pressure, and can stretch to the point where it breaks, as seen above.

I also understand that it isn't horribly dangerous, but I'm reluctant to fire the rifle again. I understand that Lee Enfields were built with a bit more tolerence in them to allow for functionality in dirty environment. I assume the solution is to find a tighter fitting bolt head/face....not sure where I find one though haha.

Also, I'm not sure why I would fire 100 rounds without issue, and then 101 decides to rupture.

Any thoughts from the experts?
    "For famous men have the whole earth as their memorial: it is not only the inscriptions on their graves in their own country that mark diem out; no, in foreign lands also, not in any visible form but in people's hearts, their memory abides and grows. It is for you to try to be like them. Make up your minds that happiness depends on being free, and freedom depends on being courageous." - Pericles

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Welcome back The_Champ! Yes that is from either headspace being huge or the chamber specs being way bigger in diameter or a combo of both. The Rem. case has failed where the thicker web tapers into the normal wall thickness. It's a classic Head Separation. You might want to try and find a different bolt head. They are numbered and the bigger the number, the bigger the size of the bolt head. They simply screw on to the bolt body. Check Numeric Arms aka, Gun Parts Corp. Also try Sprinfield Sporters. I would not shoot the rifle further.

done that before with 8mm in a 1919a4.

The results were less than fun. Gun needed a new trunnion and I walked with a limp for a week.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Thanks for the input guys. I'm afraid your suggestions for where to find the part won't work for me, being north of the boarder and all, but I think I found a place that carries a full selection of Enfield parts, among others. I shot off an email to them today.

http://www.marstar.ca/html/home.html
    "For famous men have the whole earth as their memorial: it is not only the inscriptions on their graves in their own country that mark diem out; no, in foreign lands also, not in any visible form but in people's hearts, their memory abides and grows. It is for you to try to be like them. Make up your minds that happiness depends on being free, and freedom depends on being courageous." - Pericles

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Champ View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm afraid your suggestions for where to find the part won't work for me, being north of the boarder and all
    I saw that on your location and did not put it together that you were in Canada. For someone who operates nuclear power plant I can miss the obvious sometimes!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member