Thread: Heavy Copper Fouling With 556

Heavy Copper Fouling With 556

I only shoot hand loads and have just recently noticed last outing that my barrel on my Sig 556 had a lot of copper fouling.
    I have always used Hornady 68gr BTHP and 60gr VMax.Since there has been a low supply on the Hornady,I started to use the Nosler 69gr BTHP and 60gr varmint BT.
    Took several hours using M-Pro 7 to get all the copper out of my barrel.
    The Nosler advertises it as a ultra-thin jacket mouth bullet.
    Has anyone else have problem with the Noslers? Not seen copper fouling from the Hornady.
    Last edited by shotdown61; 06-01-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Honestly never shot any nozzler projectiles. Sierras and Hornadays usually. They all leave behind copper to a degree. I don't get anal about cleaning it all out. Mostly I clean for powder fowling. Accuracy seems fine with a trace of copper on the lands.

That being said, if you can peel the copper away there's a problem in there somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    That being said, if you can peel the copper away there's a problem in there somewhere!
    Not peeling.Just the rifling looks like streaks of copper.Never seen that much in any of my barrels.

I can't really help you with what is causing the copper fouling, but I can suggest to you a better copper solvent. I've found Sweet's 7.62 has worked the best of any copper solvent I've used thus far. Even the worst copper fouling is removed within 10 to 20 patches (solvent soaked).

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    I can't really help you with what is causing the copper fouling, but I can suggest to you a better copper solvent. I've found Sweet's 7.62 has worked the best of any copper solvent I've used thus far. Even the worst copper fouling is removed within 10 to 20 patches (solvent soaked).
    That's what i use when i do a lot of shooting, 300 rounds or more, sweets is the best, great for clearing up your sinuses too.