Thread: So, I Walk Into My Local Pawn and Guns Shop And They've Got A Remington Rand .45

So, I Walk Into My Local Pawn and Guns Shop And They've Got A Remington Rand .45

for $600!

The gun is blued, not parkerized. And truthfully, most of the bluing was worn off the slide. But it had no rust on it anywhere, and the gun itself was as smooth as silk.

Is it worth $600?

How would it measure up as a 'trade gun?'

Just curious.

In my neck of the woods....YES!
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    for $600!

The gun is blued, not parkerized. And truthfully, most of the bluing was worn off the slide. But it had no rust on it anywhere, and the gun itself was as smooth as silk.

Is it worth $600?

How would it measure up as a 'trade gun?'

Just curious.
    A WW-II Remington Rand - not refinished or bubba'd - some blue worn off the slide? It's worth at least 3X what you paid.

Check the proof marks and inspector marks and see if they all match up. In any case, you did good... you did great!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    A WW-II Remington Rand - not refinished or bubba'd - some blue worn off the slide? It's worth at least 3X what you paid.

Check the proof marks and inspector marks and see if they all match up. In any case, you did good... you did great!
    Haven't bought it yet, most of the bluing is gone off the slide, but the pistol appears to be in excellent shape other than that. Also, I haven't checked to see if it's a mixmaster yet.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Just to have a WWII 1911 I would jump on it. I don't think Remington Rand made civilian arms, so you know it was GI Issue. It is a great piece of history, even if blued.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

If that's an original then it's a steal. Expext non-matching serials as they paid no attention to that when servicing them.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I've been researching them.

The early models weren't blued, but du-lite. Du-lite is still available.

It definitely said "Remington Rand" on the slide, and "property of US Army" on the side of the frame.

The checkering on the hammer, trigger, backstrap were all old school. Very fine and very nice.

I'd say the frame had 85% of the du-lite finish left, and the slide about 15% of the finish left (holster wear?).

The gun felt better in my hand than any .45 I've ever held. It almost seemed thinner and with rounder edges than on either my series 70 or stainless milspec springfield.

It was well taken care of in that I didn't see any rust, but to be honest I didn't look that close.

Of course, I'd have to ask if I could break it down, or have one of them do it, for a better inspection.

What should I look for while inspecting?

All my 45s have been new, not 70 someodd years old. So, if you have advice on what to look for, please let me know.

Thanks

shit if you don't want it I do. I love 1911s and need to add an original to the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Just to have a WWII 1911 I would jump on it. I don't think Remington Rand made civilian arms, so you know it was GI Issue. It is a great piece of history, even if blued.

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    What should I look for while inspecting?
    Check the barrel bore. It's probably got pitting between the "lands" (due to corrosive 1940's ammo) but that won't hurt it one bit.

Snatch that puppy up. You could easily repark it or better yet, leave it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    shit if you don't want it I do. I love 1911s and need to add an original to the collection.
    I'll tell you what, if I don't buy it, i'll post the name of the shop tomorrow and you can call them.

From another site:

750 poor
    825 fair
    900 good
    1100 v. good
    1450 excellent

Of course, a guy on gunbroker has one in the box and unissued with provenance for $5000!
    Last edited by American Rage; 06-07-2012 at 08:40 PM.

From what you are describing I would be having trouble getting the $600 out of my wallet fast enough.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Here's what I wrote to NAPOTS:

NAPOTS,

I've decided not to buy the Remington Rand. Not b/c I don't think it's worth it, but because I need to buy new glasses, a garage door operner, and a new battery for my motorcycle first. Also, I set aside $400 for a new Sub 2000 as soon as it comes in.

Anyway, I went back for a closer look today. And although I was unable to strip it down, I can tell you what I saw.

The gun's serial range was in the 2,2XX,XXX range and configures with the last production run of Remington Rand
    .45s.

On the left side of the slide it is marked Remington above Syracuse, N.Y. It does not say "Rand." I figure this could be due to one of the following reasons, (1) light tooling strike,
    (2) refinishing, (3) 65+ years of wear, (4) combination of the above. However, I'm happy to report that the slide actually has about 55% of the finish left. Also, though I personally had a hard time seeing them, the store personnel pointed out a few super small pits in the slide that could easily be covered if the gun were refinished.

On the left side of the frame, below the slide stop were the initials "FJA" which I'm told all Remington Rand's have as these are the initials of the inspector for RR at that time. Unfortunately, there is an "idiot mark" through the initials. Near the magazine release button was the letter "P" stamped into the frame. On the right side of the frame, it says "United States Property M 1911 US Army," or something to that effect. I was wrong about the mainspring housing being checkered, it's serrated instead. However, the slide release, trigger, and hammer are all checkered. I'd rate the frame's bluing at 80%, maybe a little less.

The barrel had nice lands and grooves, but to my mind showed no signs of rust or pitting. It did, however, have a dark substance that seemed lie in the grooves, giving a 'shadow' effect (for lack of a better term) to the lands. The gentlemen at the shop seemed to believe that this was due to firing corrosive military ammo. Still, I saw no pits or rust in the barrel itself. I point this out b/c you or someone else might consider the markings from the corrosive ammo to be rust. Which is fine.

Finally, it had some Pachamyer (sp?) grips on it. The gun itself felt tight, and when racking the slide the action seemed silky smooth.

That's about all I can tell you. I hope I've described it accurately for you. Regardless, if you're interested, here is the contact information that I promised.

The gun can be found at:

Kings Pawn and Gun
    4255 E. Reno
    Del City, Oklahoma

Phone: 405-670-3366
    Fax: 405-670-3933

The shop itself is about 2 miles north and 1 mile west of Tinker Air Force Base (fact is two airmen were looking at guns as I was checking out the Remington Rand). I told them they might receive a call from out of state, and they were fine with that.

Good luck. And let me know what happens.

Remington Rand Info link:
    http://www.model1911a1.com/Remington.htm

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

We had Remington 1911s on my first submarine. I remember thinking it was cool that we were qualifying on Remington handguns. There was no Rand on the ones we had either.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

If it were local to me, I would jump on it. (Though I do have a colt frame, Rem-Rand slide on it.) From around 1917.