Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wolf ammo sucks ass.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Nut! what the hell are you doing with any Rifle chambered for that pitiful .223 Round. You know the AK is a 7.62mm Rifle , I am suprised the Soviet 5.45x39mm did so well in the Rifle. Paul

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    Just to make sure I've got the facts right, imanaknut and 1-Patriot you two are talking about the "new" Wolf ammo black box that says WPA on box and no longer the older style with the pic of a wolf on it correct?

I have used and continue to shoot russian steel cased ammo out of my AR; this includes Wolf (the older black box with pic of a wolf on it) in 55gr and 62gr FMJs and HPs, and Brown Bear which of course is lacquer coated and not polymer coated. My AR is a mostly basic DPMS AP4 model with a pencil style 16" barrel; all stock except the magpul stock and foreened. I use the above mentioned ammo during my range's small 3-guns 99% of the time because I don't want to risk losing brass cases in the grass and losing them to other reloaders.

Depending on the course I'm shooting a max of around 40 rounds....unless I'm struggling . I admit that I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning my AR and have prob thoroughly cleaned it once within at least the last two years. I will oil up the bolt and BCG before shoots, but I'm not wanting to go overboard with cleaning because I'm kinda doing my own "run it until it pukes" test using nearly all steel cased ammo with some brass tossed in. I admit I'm not doing double taps as fast as I can pull the trigger or 30 round mag dumps on a regular basis, but I haven't had any issues with any of the steel cased ammo I've used so far.

A few buddies and I went in on a case of the newly labeled Wolf 'WPA' black box 62gr HPs. I haven't had chance to try them for groups/function yet, but I'm now curious to see the results. Buddy of mine ran some Tula through my AR without issue, but on occasion it won't keep bolt back on his AR after last round in mag.....his AR is 16" bull barrel and I forget parts make at the moment.

I did run my AR a bit faster last year at a two day rifle course using the same kind of ammo above, but still didn't have any issues. The extractor has yet to break and be replaced, but I admit that I haven't done a close inspection on it for wear, before or after.

Chalk everyone's experiences up to YMMV, with each brand of rifle and ammo, or bad ammo batch I guess?
    Black box with a wolf on the left, Red WOLF on the right side, below that performance ammunition .223 62gr copper FMJ Steelcase MAde in russia.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Black box with a wolf on the left, Red WOLF on the right side, below that performance ammunition .223 62gr copper FMJ Steelcase MAde in russia.
    That type I have used before without issues, both the FMJ and HP. If you have any left and are wanting to possibly sell, let me know and I might be able to help a guy out .
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    That type I have used before without issues, both the FMJ and HP. If you have any left and are wanting to possibly sell, let me know and I might be able to help a guy out .
    I still have a couple more guns to try it out in, HK33clone,Sar3 and Galil. Thanks.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Wolf is some dirty ammo!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Wolf is some dirty ammo!
    Holy S**t! Don't you know you ARE supposed to clean you gun at least once every 3 years?

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    Holy S**t! Don't you know you ARE supposed to clean you gun at least once every 3 years?

That's just a good day at the range! All that crud just wiped off because I treated all the metal with Tetra, but this goes to show how dirty the ammo is.

Lightbulb

This isn't a new problem. I tend to think it's just a question of tolerences. AR's tend to have tighter chambers than AK's. Wolf is used to making AK ammo and they govern their tolerences accordingly. Therefore, they run a little looser on QT and you get the stated result.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123