Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo NOT to buy...

Ammo NOT to buy...

If you're in the market for 7.62x39 ammo, I would stay away from "Tula":

I had no problems with this ammo feeding or firing... the "problem" is the ammo is loaded light. So light that when my buddy fired some I noticed "geez that's awfully weak sounding".

I tried some and it felt not much more than a .22

So, I tried a mag of this stuff immediately followed by a mag of "good old" Golden Tiger. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The Golden Tiger has literally twice the bang and twice the recoil.

I didn't chrono the two brands, but the "real" stuff literally seems twice as powerful.

Upon coming home, I pulled a few bullets out of the Tula ammo. As I expected, they are only about 2/3 full whereas Golden Tiger is packed full to the brim.

Also, you can shake the Tula near your ear and hear the powder inside... not so with the G.T.

For what it's worth... The Tula ammo is no bargain.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Yep. Wal-Mart sells that shit and its awful. Its much better to spend the extra for shipping and pick out whatever brand you prefer.

Just got a case of Brown Bear myself. I always liked that brand better than Wolf.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I still have half a case left from last year . The HP ammo is loaded nicely.

BUT the FMJ stuff is just as you said for "plinking"

Glad I bought a pile of Yugo 762
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Is it just the 7.62x39?

I have a few boxes of Tula .45ACP and it packs a pretty good wallop. Nothing "weak-feeling" about that load.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Good to know, thanks. Is Wolf FMJ weak loaded?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Is it just the 7.62x39?

I have a few boxes of Tula .45ACP and it packs a pretty good wallop. Nothing "weak-feeling" about that load.
    Odd. It was noticeably lighter in power than WWB in a buddies 1911. I haven't bought any for my guns, I only use commie ammo in commie guns.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Question Numeric Comparison

Roger, do you have access to a chronograph to compare numbers between the Tula and Golden Tiger ammunition?

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Well that's interesting.

I just picked up some WPA Polyformance 7.62 x 39 from Dunhams last week.
    It was on sale.

I shot 80 rds today. The AK operated alright, however recoil was lighter than
    Golden Tiger.

I pulled a bullet after reading this about Tula
    and sho-nuff, WPA Poly, 2/3 full of stick powder.

Sorry, I want my money's worth of Wallop when I get ammo.
    Thanks for posting report.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

just a word to all of those posting here that seem to have no clue how firearms work. different powders have different burn rates and different characteristics, thats WHY they are different powders, and not all marketed as the same powder.

you will use less of a faster burning powder that you will of a slower burning powder in an identical case with an identical projectile.

just because the case "isint full" does not mean a case is not loaded properly.

instead of comparing a factor that has absolutely no relevance whatsoever, id recommend something more like what steve suggested, in chronoing the rounds, to show some actual relevant data to compare 2 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    just a word to all of those posting here that seem to have no clue how firearms work. different powders have different burn rates and different characteristics, thats WHY they are different powders, and not all marketed as the same powder.

you will use less of a faster burning powder that you will of a slower burning powder in an identical case with an identical projectile.

instead of comparing a factor that has absolutely no relevance whatsoever, id recommend something more like what steve suggested, in chronoing the rounds, to show some actual relevant data to compare 2 rounds.
    yep
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

difference would be something like.

the same bullet with appropriate load for 4350 then maybe making up a very similar load in 4320 using less but the same performance yet using less case space cause of the burn rate.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Proof is going to be had by using a Chronograph. These observations though they might be valid, are still subjective. Clock the bullet speed then you will have something tangible to hang your hat on.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Is it just the 7.62x39?

well I seem to recall that all ruskie ammo was loaded fairly weakly, that's been accepted for years. I will say this about tula 9mm, my glock loves it, the best group so far had 4 shots in one hole a little bit bigger than a quarter at 7 yards

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Probably is on the weak side but without any chrono evidence who knows?

It's not like the other Ruskie brands are premium ammo.

Funny, I've never had any problems with my Tulammo x39 FMJ. Got a 640 rd tin, used it to test fire a postie I repaired last year. Went right on tickin'.

How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post

bingo!

Is it just the 7.62x39?

Don't know. I only bought X39.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    Good to know, thanks. Is Wolf FMJ weak loaded?
    The only weak stuff I've noticed (in X39) is the Tula mentioned above. I never had any problems with Wolf or Barnaul (or Golden Tiger - which is my favorite).

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Roger, do you have access to a chronograph to compare numbers between the Tula and Golden Tiger ammunition?

Steve
    Sorry... no I don't. I could do a "poor man's" chrono by putting a camera at the berm and recording the sound time difference between the supersonic snap and the muzzle blast and then do the math... but it wouldn't be as accurate as a chrono.

Quote Originally Posted by rahatlakhoom View Post
    Well that's interesting.

I just picked up some WPA Polyformance 7.62 x 39 from Dunhams last week.
    It was on sale.

I shot 80 rds today. The AK operated alright, however recoil was lighter than
    Golden Tiger.

I pulled a bullet after reading this about Tula
    and sho-nuff, WPA Poly, 2/3 full of stick powder.

Sorry, I want my money's worth of Wallop when I get ammo.
    Thanks for posting report.

So WPA Poly is added to the list. Thanks for the report.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast