anyone have any data on 7.62x39 ammo, was interested in
    velocities, reliability & how clean they burn.. on the following:

1 - Tula
    2 - Wolf
    3 - Silver Bear
    4 - Golden Tiger

tia

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nothing recent. I have chronographed Russian 7.62x39 ammos in the last 15 years but none in the last 5. 2350 fps to 2450 is typical for most ammo give or take 25 fps. I've shot Golden Tiger, Ulyanovsk from the spam cans, Wolf copper jacketed, Wolf Bi-Metal, Brown Bear, Silver Bear by Barnual, Sapsan, Silver Bear Match and Chinese Norinco noncorrosive 1990 vintage steel and lead core.

Chinese noncorrosives were very accurate, in particular the steel core as it had a boat tail design. Silver Bear match was very accurate, though good luck finding any of that. I haven't seen any in 7 years now, too bad it was really good. Golden Tiger is quite good and given the report and recoil is going to be one of the faster ones. Uly out of the spam can swas nearly identical to what you experience with the GT.

Wolf bi-metal was never tops in accuracy, though it did seem reliable in function. Some batches of the copper jacketed but steel cased Wolf were on the other hand some of the better for accuracy. I don't think they make that one anymore, it might be the Gold stuff now made I think in Bosnia.