Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Imbel Reborn!

An Imbel Reborn!

Picked up a matching numbers, intact barrel Imbel kit back in April for 5 bills. After mostly recuperating from shoulder surgery two days before I bought the kit, I thought it was time to build.

Upper is a Coonan Type 3 with custom matching SN. US parts count is FCG (3), charging handle (1), upper receiver (1), gas piston (1) and PG (1).

Before:

And after:

(The bipod I borrowed from my Tantal to use as a kickstand to pose the photo.)

Test fire is set for either tomorrow or Sunday. Will advise how things go, I've got my fingers crossed everything works like it's supposed to...
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice FAL! Hope yours is as nice as mine has been.

My Imbel STG-58 has been a joy to shoot and is more accurate than I can make it. I left the barrel unthreaded after seeing some in pictures from overseas that didn't have threaded muzzles. Also note the conformal bipod in the handguard.

Cool. I wish I could find an L1A1 kit to build up.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    Picked up a matching numbers, intact barrel Imbel kit back in April for 5 bills. After mostly recuperating from shoulder surgery two days before I bought the kit, I thought it was time to build.

Upper is a Coonan Type 3 with custom matching SN. US parts count is FCG (3), charging handle (1), upper receiver (1), gas piston (1) and PG (1).

Test fire is set for either tomorrow or Sunday. Will advise how things go, I've got my fingers crossed everything works like it's supposed to...
    Good to see a rifle resurrected. $500 Oh for the days of Tapco selling them for $120 with VG barrels! (Sigh) You going to leave it all worn looking or redo it to look like new?

Nice !

I think my kit was 350 two years ago... but it was a giant PITA with the seller ! ]

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Good to see a rifle resurrected. $500 Oh for the days of Tapco selling them for $120 with VG barrels! (Sigh) You going to leave it all worn looking or redo it to look like new?
    ABout the same time M2HB Kits were around $325-375 pending on condition. If I only had a crystal ball back then I'd be rich right now.

What kills me about the FAL kit's is , you dont even get enough of the chopped up receiver to reweld it .

Pretty cool though

Still kicking myself for not buying an excellent Pre-89 Argentine for $850 last year.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

This is my second FAL build. I did a G1 w/a StG barrel last year, that I rebarreled w/a Belgian lugged barrel last winter.

I've got to admit, building a FAL is a much easier than an AK...but I still ain't giving up my Kalashnikov obsession.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

NICE! shoulder surgery? You didn't get hit in the sandbox did you?
    One of my first bought rifles is an STG58 on an Imbel reciever when I forget the company now defunct in Fridley, MN. Many years ago. Still have it, functions perfect, accurate. Love the Israeli furnitured ones.

Building fals is easier than AK's? Never built one. Built Ak's, RPK and a 1919, no Fals, I thought they were hard to time for some reason?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Nice FAL! Hope yours is as nice as mine has been.

My Imbel STG-58 has been a joy to shoot and is more accurate than I can make it. I left the barrel unthreaded after seeing some in pictures from overseas that didn't have threaded muzzles. Also note the conformal bipod in the handguard.
    Exact same as mine. You didn't get it from MN did you?

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

nice rifle!

i never got onto teh FAL badwagon, i was always more of a CETME guy.

SW

Good looking u gotta gun kote I know a great painting named schuentzenman
    US Army!
    Drill Sergeant's Lead the WAY!

Join the NRA!
    http://membership.nrahq.org/

Old Gunsnet Handle
    PsychoSamX

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2jeep View Post
    Good looking u gotta gun kote I know a great painting named schuentzenman
    That's painter I think.

Lol damn IPAD auto corrected me but yes painter. This thread has gotten me wanting to build another FAL. I have a South African kit that I'm positive is a Imbel that needs built had it for like 8 or 9 years. It is a shame cant get anymore paid around 100 if I recall. Too bad that painter I know is in like Georgia...
    US Army!

Join the NRA!

Old Gunsnet Handle
    PsychoSamX

Lol damn IPAD auto corrected me but yes painter. This thread has gotten me wanting to build another FAL. I have a South African kit that I'm positive is a Imbel that needs built had it for like 8 or 9 years. It is a shame cant get anymore paid around 100 if I recall. Too bad that painter I know is in like Georgia...
    If a real South African it is probably an FN FAL type 3. The barrel should have an oval with 3 crowns in it if it is Belgian FN. This is the only way that I know of to tell the difference between a Blegian and a Brazilian FAL as FN licensed Imbel and they had spec tooling to build them with.

Not only a skilled painter (gun refinisher) but a skilled Fall Smith. I've built way over 24 of them for myself and others.

My first two The G1 then the Imbel.

The Light barreled Israeli was my 2nd to last.

Found an image with my last build the middle one. Fell on hard times for a while and sold it. All Belgian, matching numbers except for the type 2 DSA receiver. It was a shooter. The Imbel folder is the same fixed stock rifle with a real Imbel Para Trooper kit added.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-17-2012 at 08:01 PM.

So when you getting that FFL again?
    Also the G1 you put together for me was really a thing of art.
    US Army!

Join the NRA!

Old Gunsnet Handle
    PsychoSamX

So how much of a difference is there between a para and a fixed stock? Just curious how that works as on the para where does the return spring go?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    NICE! shoulder surgery? You didn't get hit in the sandbox did you?
    One of my first bought rifles is an STG58 on an Imbel reciever when I forget the company now defunct in Fridley, MN. Many years ago. Still have it, functions perfect, accurate. Love the Israeli furnitured ones.

Building fals is easier than AK's? Never built one. Built Ak's, RPK and a 1919, no Fals, I thought they were hard to time for some reason?
    I had a 'posterior labral tear'. Or I tore the cartilage in my right shoulder back in Oct. Had it scoped back in Apr, and am now engaging in twice weekly sessions with someone who took their internship with the CIA at Gitmo.

When you think about it, to build a FAL, you have to thread the barrel in the receiver, get it timed correctly, and head space it. The only thing I originally had problems with was figuring out the head space/locking shoulder thing. Of course there's the changing of the FCG and putting a new charging handle on. The longest part was getting the timing on the barrel down. Check timing, remove barrel and work on it. Repeat until you get it clocked right so it'll time.

With an AK, you've got all those rivets to form and the barrel to press in. Unless it's a completely disassembled kit, then well...

Anyway, I test fired this morning. Fucking AWESOME! I was really feared that I'd have another issue like with my G1/StG 58 barrel where it wouldn't cycle for shit, even with full gas (hence the reason for the Belgian barrel replacement). Test fired with gas wide open to check headspace and found no issues with either Portugese or Chinese ammo. Put the gas on 4 and she chucked 'em about 15' way in a nice pile. Only issues I had were with the Chinese. Didn't want to load them up a couple of times. Zero issues with the Port. Didn't really check for accuracy, I was more concerned about function.

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

So when you getting that FFL again?
    Also the G1 you put together for me was really a thing of art.
    FFL again, never is the most likely answer. On the G1, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    So how much of a difference is there between a para and a fixed stock? Just curious how that works as on the para where does the return spring go?
    The Para Lowers use a different bolt carrier and top cover. The top cover has a mini guide rod and spring for the recoil energy absorption. As you noticed with the folder the usual buffter tube that extends down the stock with spring is missing.

Borrowed an image from DSA to show the rat tail free Para Bolt carrier. Also the top cover has a nose at the front that helps capture the para bolt assembly. Para receivers are counter bored for the Nose bit of the top cover. Folks that short cut making a Para usually cut the nose cap off the top cover. It makes putting the Para top cover and bolt assembly in trickier to do, but it can be done to avoid the machining. The one I built I did conter bore the Imbel receiver to maintain as much of the authentic Para features as possible. Only the US parts are not Imbel on that folder, it's as close as the BATFE and 922R allow to Brazilian Imbel content. It too is quite accurate for an FAL. And the cool factor of the weapon folded can't be beat.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-18-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks for the information. I have wondered about that for quite some time.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

One of these days I might fall into a Para, either as a rifle or a parts kit. What was it Frency used to preach? Patience, young patiwan...patience.

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast