Thread: my scale is haunted.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

my scale is haunted.

wtf?!?!

i tried doing a few trial rounds the other day to work up a load for my 700sps, and my scale was acting funny, to say the least.

its the ubiquitous old rcbc/ohaus 5-10, probably twice as old as me, easily.

first off, it wouldnt "settle" it would keep bouncing back and forth. but heres the weird part, it would start to settle, then just go into a spasm shooting high or low. no wind blowing on it, no one bumped it, it would just shoot off in one direction and start trying to settle in again.

all i could think of would be a pivot problem. i cleaned the pivot socket, cleaned it again, put in some dry graphite to lube it, cleaned out the dry graphite, and cleaned it again. no difference. no apparent damage to either the balance point on the beam or the pocket in the scale.

i do believe that these are supposed to be "magnetically dampened" to minimize the wandering before it settles (which it was taking forever to settle, as well) is it possible my magnets got fucked up?

im at a loss as to what could possibly cause this, other than the pivot, which ive checked and cleaned over and over.

ideas?

Is there any metal or electronic near it???
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

nothing electronic, i didnt think to look for metal, i have a few projects setting on the bench, not sure how close they were. ill have to check that out. that is a possibility.

its not that this is the greatest scale, its just the one i have used since i started reloading, im used to it, its grown on me. id rather not replace it if i dont have to.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    It's the electronic spy gear that the CIA, BATFE and Bank of America planted in your fillings. If they all transmit at the same time you can mess up your dogs appetite, your wireless printer and the bathroom scales. Have you noticed a decrease in gas mileage of your horseless carriage lately?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    It's the electronic spy gear that the CIA, BATFE and Bank of America planted in your fillings. If they all transmit at the same time you can mess up your dogs appetite, your wireless printer and the bathroom scales. Have you noticed a decrease in gas mileage of your horseless carriage lately?
    i would have seriously considered that, but its a beam scale, not an electronic one.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    i would have seriously considered that, but its a beam scale, not an electronic one.
    Makes no difference, the super secret QQ band they transmit on brings the hidden planet Niburu closer and its negative gravitational field cause the earths gravtational pull to fluctuate in subtle increments.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Almost sounds like two magnets of the same polarity facing off. They repell vs. attract.

Call Ohaus Scale Company. They will tell you how to fix it, or have you send it back and they will take care of it. They are a very reputable old line company that stands solidly behind their products.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I'm sure he's either fixed the problem or procured a new scale in 2 YEARS....

And I would've suggested that there was moving air in the room - it doesn't take much at all to throw the balance beam scales off....
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

And I would've suggested that there was moving air in the room - it doesn't take much at all to throw the balance beam scales off....
    Or an electronic for that matter. It gets hot as hell in my garage during the summer so I'll often open the door party way and run a box fan. It will make the reading on the scale waiver from way across the garage so I turn if off when I am measuring powder.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

That was my first thought too.