Thread: Wallyworld 22s

Wallyworld 22s

Was at wally the other day and saw a sig and some ar m4 for like 490 bucks. The sig lookalike was actually a sig! Almost as heavy as a 556, uses the same machining on the lower and upper as a 556 rifle but it's rimfire. The m4 w/one piece rail handguard copy was the same as the sig with the magwell sized for 556 but was cut for 22rf. Neat and high quality, anyone have either of these?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Sounds like a Sig 522 and one of the hundreds of AR-style tactical .22s.

These style of .22's have gotten popular lately.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I have heard a lot of good things about the sig 522.Will shoot anything you feed it.
    On some of the reviews I read it seems to be the next 10/22.

There had been a great deal for these that came with a target barrel as a package if you can still find one.
    Last edited by shotdown61; 06-20-2012 at 01:34 PM.

I've got one of the Sig 522's with the aluminum rails (think they call it a SWAT) and I like it. It came with the full length aluminum quad rail, open sights, a Sig labeled scope (Chinese I'm sure) a green laser, sidefolding telescopic stock and 2x 25 rnd mags. Other than sighting it in, I haven't printed a lot on paper but it sure works on the turtles in my lake. Well made for sure. Light, smooth trigger. Dissembles like an AR. Heavy for a rimfire but I believe they refer to them as trainers. Designed to mimic the actual 556 version. Mine says 1 of 2000 or something like that on the side. I'll have to get it out and look. Not a single failure and has eaten all of the cheap bulk stuff I put thru it.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

moe's got a 522. i got to handle it, nice rifle. well put together. i just dont get the concept of paying more than $200 on a 22lr.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    moe's got a 522. i got to handle it, nice rifle. well put together. i just dont get the concept of paying more than $200 on a 22lr.
    See that's my precise issue as well.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    See that's my precise issue as well.
    That, and the fact that there's a lot of stuff on it that isn't necessary for the firing of a .22RF, such as the fake gas piston, etc. That's just extra weight and doesn't do anything other than look good. I'd prefer to carry a lighter .22 that only has what it needs to get the job done. I'll stick with the 10-22...cheaper, accurate, lighter, and smaller.

If you're into shooting a trainer rifle, but shooting cheaper, then I can see getting one, but just to have a .22RF and doing nothing more than what a .22 is designed to do, then I can't see it.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    That, and the fact that there's a lot of stuff on it that isn't necessary for the firing of a .22RF, such as the fake gas piston, etc. That's just extra weight and doesn't do anything other than look good. I'd prefer to carry a lighter .22 that only has what it needs to get the job done. I'll stick with the 10-22...cheaper, accurate, lighter, and smaller.

If you're into shooting a trainer rifle, but shooting cheaper, then I can see getting one, but just to have a .22RF and doing nothing more than what a .22 is designed to do, then I can't see it.
    It is a TRAINER for the real Sig rifle, that's why it is nearly the same weight. That's the point of the M4 gery type .22 rf weapons as well, to shoot cheap ammo yet still go through most of the physical moves needed to run the center fire version of the weapon as a training aid. I have my own AR carbine in .22 LR that I built and it is about the same weight and loading it, charging it, ejecting the mags and the trigger pull are all the same. Only the lack of boom and recoil are different. That and you can shoot 8 rounds for the cost of 1.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    It is a TRAINER for the real Sig rifle, that's why it is nearly the same weight. That's the point of the M4 gery type .22 rf weapons as well, to shoot cheap ammo yet still go through most of the physical moves needed to run the center fire version of the weapon as a training aid. I have my own AR carbine in .22 LR that I built and it is about the same weight and loading it, charging it, ejecting the mags and the trigger pull are all the same. Only the lack of boom and recoil are different. That and you can shoot 8 rounds for the cost of 1.
    The S&W M&P 15-22 is a very good trainer for the M&P 15 Sport. It's what convinced me to go centerfire in the platform.

I agree with you on what you said here, but some people will buy the gun because they like the way it looks, with no intention of going any further than owning it. I don't argue with any of those two points (trainer or looks), but it's not the type of RF I would be interested in. For me, all that "extra" stuff is useless. When I buy a RF, I just want what it takes to shoot it, nothing more. I almost bought an AK version of the .22 RF, but didn't because of all the "extra" stuff added to make it look like an AK. The thought that crossed my mind was, "What can this gun do differently that my 10-22 can't?" Nothing, other than look different. So, I put it back.

I've seen the Sig 522 and it does look great, but I still can't see paying all that money just for that. If someone has a use for it, then I can see buying it. No problem.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    , "What can this gun do differently that my 10-22 can't?" Nothing, other than look different. So, I put it back..
    Your conclusion is not correct, what it can do is train you to manipulate, point and shoot the weapon it resembles. You just don't place any value on that, so you stick with your 10-22, which btw I have never purchased one of.

This one helps me be more familiar with the full caliber weapon below and saves me a ton of money at the range.

I usually put about 2 full size 30 round mags through this full caliber AR on a range trip but the .22 LR version might get 10 mags. Can practice mag changes, jam clearing and using the Eotech sight for snap shots and double taps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your conclusion is not correct, what it can do is train you to manipulate, point and shoot the weapon it resembles. You just don't place any value on that, so you stick with your 10-22, which btw I have never purchased one of.

This one helps me be more familiar with the full caliber weapon below and saves me a ton of money at the range.

I usually put about 2 full size 30 round mags through this full caliber AR on a range trip but the .22 LR version might get 10 mags. Can practice mag changes, jam clearing and using the Eotech sight for snap shots and double taps.
    Yup, I know what you're saying and it definitely serves a very good role for what you want it to do. For me, all I see is another .22 rifle that has a lot of things on it that I have no use for.

Now, if you're talking .22RF conversion kit for an AR or AK, then I would be interested. Even though none of the piston/gas tubes work with the conversion kits, they still have a purpose when shooting the original caliber.

i just recently took a S&W 15-22 on trade.. initially i thought i would just sell it off but after shooting it i have become addicted to it.. it is so much cheaper to shoot than my DPMS M4gery.

WallyWorlds in RI haven't carried any firearms since that Shitty Sheryl Crow Song, damn bitch.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    2nd Amedment Foundation Member
    NRA-ILA
    National Association for Gun Rights
    CRAL member---RIFOL member and supporter
    GOA member
    RI 2nd Amendment Coalition Supporter

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

The SIG 522 is the best .22 money can buy!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.