Thread: can i shoot my ak-47 in california

can i shoot my ak-47 in california

my dad and i have three ak-47 we bought at least 22years ago can we shoot them at the range or anywhere poly tech and norinco we live i cali to of them have folding stocks pistol grips everthing is the same like we bought them

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sure you can shoot them. I'm not sure they weren't required to be registered in Kommifornia. I recall some SKS rifles that had to be registered and some folks did it late but the Kommifornia State Police said it was OK to register them late. State Courts overturned that decission and the dumb sods that registered late got their SKS rifles confiscated by the State.

If the AK weapons had the same restrictions, best hope your Father registered them on time. Otherwise, to shoot them in public would be gambling on having them confiscated. You can't register them now the cut off for Assualt weapons in Kommifornia was back in December 2000, 12 years ago.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Check with a lawyer. Ask if it's legal to take them out of state if they aren't legal.

Even if your rifles are papered and legal, the local constabulary down there is notorious for being ignorant of the law and for punishing innocent people for profit and fun. Facts, reality, innocence, these things mean nothing in california. Your crime is whatever the officer decides to blame on you, wether you have commited it or not.

I would HIGHLY reccomend affixing the magazine "permanently" as per California law before blasting these at a public range.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I'd drive them out of Kali and store them in one of the free States...

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher View Post
    If you didn't registrar them before the deadline, its now too late and a felony to be in possession of them. Even registered cannot be transferred, gifted, given to any family member. check the ca doj assault weapons web page it all spells it out loud & clear. you can take them out of state like I did to Idaho. Good luck & be VERY careful where you go with them & who you tell you have them.

FYI when I was in ca and wanted to shoot my "assault" I took a copy of my paper work from the doj/ag office with me showing proof of registration
    thanks everyone for the help

yes they were required to be registered, if you didn't register them you are in posession of an unregistered assault weapon.

You can not make a poly tech or norinco legal if it was not registered. Being named specifically I believe the deadline for registration was jan 1 1989

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    yeah you can go get a med card and smoke all the grass you want but you can't have your guns......... what a crock of shit!!!
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    NAPOTS, you happen to see the date on the post just before the one you made?

By now satajet is either in jail, doesn't have his rifles, or has disappeared from the face of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    NAPOTS, you happen to see the date on the post just before the one you made?

By now satajet is either in jail, doesn't have his rifles, or has disappeared from the face of the earth.
    No I didn't, I'm not sure how I dug up a thread that old.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    my bad guys. i was browsing through and seen it. i did not napots. sorry
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ