Thread: HOW MUCH DOES AN SSN# ENGRAVED IN A GUN HURT ITS VALUE?

HOW MUCH DOES AN SSN# ENGRAVED IN A GUN HURT ITS VALUE?

I ask b/c I've come across a stainless, snubnosed, security six (adj sights, and fancy grips) 357.

The gun looks nice, but some asshole put their ssn and name on it. They're asking $375. Worth it?

Also found a virtually unfired, blued, security six w/ a 4" barrel for $400.

I want them both but can only have one, if I decide to buy. What's a guy to do?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Assuming you are going to be shooting the new out of it as fast as you can reload I'd go with the blue and 4" barrel. If you are getting it for a carry gun I'd ignore the S/N and get the snubbie. Actually for where I live I'd get the blue 4" gun anyway since I can open carry.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Tin foil hat on... name and social security number = open invitation to identity theft.
    Tin foil hat still on... seller has a warped sense of humor and will sell the pistol, then tell the police it was stolen and he can ID it because it has his name and number on it.

Tin foil hat off.

Sorry, received some good news earlier and my sense of humor has been warped juuuuuuust a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Tin foil hat on... name and social security number = open invitation to identity theft.
    Tin foil hat still on... seller has a warped sense of humor and will sell the pistol, then tell the police it was stolen and he can ID it because it has his name and number on it.

Tin foil hat off.

Sorry, received some good news earlier and my sense of humor has been warped juuuuuuust a bit.
    The stainless model is at a gun shop.

The blue model is at a private dealer, who had 3 gus online last week, sold one, and now has three more on there this week, the two he didn't sale, and the ruger he just put up for sale.

Problem is that I'm not so sure about how to contact him

See this post:

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...-Armslist-quot

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Seriously, $400 for the blue is not a bad price.

The stainless snubbie with the engraving would be more a personal thing. I am not a fan of snubbies, but they do make good pocket guns. And since it is at a gun shop, you might be able to get an even better price because the revolver has been "defaced" by the added engravings.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Seriously, $400 for the blue is not a bad price.

The stainless snubbie with the engraving would be more a personal thing. I am not a fan of snubbies, but they do make good pocket guns. And since it is at a gun shop, you might be able to get an even better price because the revolver has been "defaced" by the added engravings.
    Yeah, but I need to sign up to the website to contact them. And funny as it sounds, I'm not sure how to put my name. If it were an auction site, I'd make a name up, but since it seems more personal, I think I should use my real name. Can't decide if I want to be American R. or A. Rage?

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    I ask b/c I've come across a stainless, snubnosed, security six (adj sights, and fancy grips) 357.

The gun looks nice, but some asshole put their ssn and name on it. They're asking $375. Worth it?

Also found a virtually unfired, blued, security six w/ a 4" barrel for $400.

I want them both but can only have one, if I decide to buy. What's a guy to do?

I know it's stainless but. . . I consider any personal info carved into a conspicious place on a gun (anyplace other than under the grips) as a refinished gun.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    I know it's stainless but. . . I consider any personal info carved into a conspicious place on a gun (anyplace other than under the grips) as a refinished gun.
    Meaning?