Thread: Range Report (With Daughter!)

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Range Report (With Daughter!)

The main reason I went today was because my daughter has been wanting to do shoot a revolver and the range near our house has Free Ladies Day on Mondays. She gets free lane rental and free gun rental, we just have to pay for range ammo. I chose a .22 Taurus revolver for her to shoot. She love it. At first she was all over the place, but she got used to it and started grouping pretty good.

Next, I took my CZ 82 out. This is the first time I have gotten to shoot this weapon. First the good news, it shoots great. Very accurate, seems reliable, alot of fun to shoot. The bad news, I could only fire 50 rounds today as the Silver Bear I bought 500 rounds of are not allowed at the range near my house because they attract a magnet. I tried to tell the clerk that it was because the cases were steel, but he had none of it. I ended up having to buy 50 rounds of American Eagle for almost $35. I am going to have to order some of that S&B for $15/50 rounds.

The other issue I had has to do with my daughter. She has not fired anything larger than a .22 before today. I got her to fire the CZ 82 once, and she loved it. I loaded it up and let her shoot it some more. She was all over at first. I told her the same thing the military instructors have always told me, squeeze the trigger until the gun goes off and surprises you. She started doing that and, well that is where the problems started. She started shooting better than me! I couldn't be prouder. I am half-way thinking of buying her one of her own, but she liked shooting the revolver so much I am not sure I should get her a pistol. I will probably wait until she graduates college this next year before I get her one.

The best thing, she is now talking about shooting my Glock 19. Until today she thought that the 9mm was to big. Knowing that the 9x18 is just a little smaller is making her feel better about shooting the Glock. All in all, it was a great day.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

sounds like a great time, glad to hear you both had a blast, literally in this case

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Good to hear of another female being converted into a gun loving person. Keep up the good work. Lastly, man I hate stupid range people that don't know steel jacket vs. steel core.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    The best thing, she is now talking about shooting my Glock 19.
    That's awesome!

My daughter (11 y.o.) loves to shoot .22 pistol, but she was afraid of anything larger. Then I convinced her to try a 9mm CZ-75. At first she said "I don't want to" then after she emptied the mag she said "Can I do another?"

Then she tried my 1911. It hurt her wrist, but she "likes it".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_iJL1Lv3kc
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Good to hear of another female being converted into a gun loving person. Keep up the good work. Lastly, man I hate stupid range people that don't know steel jacket vs. steel core.
    A local indoor range here tests ammo with a magnet and won't allow any that sticks. I told him "If I has tungsten core REAL armor piercing it wouldn't stick" but no use... he doesn't understand the difference between steel JACKET and steel CORE..... <rolleyes>
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    A local indoor range here tests ammo with a magnet and won't allow any that sticks. I told him "If I has tungsten core REAL armor piercing it wouldn't stick" but no use... he doesn't understand the difference between steel JACKET and steel CORE..... <rolleyes>
    This wasn't even steel jacketed, it was steel cased, copper jackted, FMJ. I checked the rounds before I left for the range and the magnet was attracted to the case. The case would stick to the magnet I used at home, but if you checked from the bullet it was attracted, but not enough for the magnet to be able to hold the round like it was when I checked from the case side. Oh well, I will just get some S&B or American Eagle from online somewhere for about $15.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    That's awesome!

My daughter (11 y.o.) loves to shoot .22 pistol, but she was afraid of anything larger. Then I convinced her to try a 9mm CZ-75. At first she said "I don't want to" then after she emptied the mag she said "Can I do another?"

Then she tried my 1911. It hurt her wrist, but she "likes it".
    Yeah, my daughter is not excited about trying my 1911 yet, but I will let her work her way up at her pace.

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

That sucks your stuck shooting indoors.

The CZ is a lot of fun to shoot though! Mine feels low recoil, but it always seems to sting my hand after a while. Not like my CZ-75 at all.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"