Thread: S&W Model 65

S&W Model 65

Went into a Pawn Shop today and spotted a pair of S&W 65s. The first one had lots of light scratches, and when I looked at the muzzle it seemed to have a milky appearance. The barrel to cylinder gap was about 1/8". Huge! In my opinion.

Asked to see the second one.

Second one also had lots of light scratches. However, its muzzle was pristine. Checked the barrel to cylinder gap, and thought it would be a chore to get a piece of paper b/t them. I liked that alot! Cocked the hammer, barely touched the trigger and the hammer sprung forward. I began to smile to myself. Checked the heavy barrel and noticed that it was pinned. A plus. Opened the cylinder and my heart quickened when I saw the recessed chambers. I also couldn't help but notice how smooth the ejection rod operated. Fondled it, and looked it over for a while and said, "I'll take it" to the clerk.

So I fill out the paperwork and we're waiting for a response, when I notice the cylinder latch is loose. Since it's in a pawnshop, I grab a screwdriver to tighten it, but with total failure. This left me perplexed, but I figure it's something that is fixable when I get it home.

As I talk to the clerk he tells me that it is a law enforcement trade in. I found this interesting because they are usually marked. Sure enough, on the backstrap was an LE Dept and number. However, it was so shallow and poorly done, I think a little light stippling or maybe an extra thick coat of duracote would hide it. If it matters in the long run.

$391 OTD

Hope to hell I can deal with the cylinder latch at the house and not have to take it in to a 'smith. By the looks of it, somebody, (armorer?) took it off and didn't get it back on correctly or botched the job and applied loctite.

I'll know when I get it home, as I'm on hold as usual.
    Last edited by American Rage; 07-10-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Hard to beat a good S&W. What barrel length and is it a square or round butt? Some play/wiggle in the cylinder latch is pretty normal. If it's screw is tight and it works properly I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 07-10-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Looks like you might have done good, looking forward to some targets from it.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Hard to beat a good S&W. What barrel length and is it a square or round butt? Some play/wiggle in the cylinder latch is pretty normal. If it's screw is tight and it works properly I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    It's a standard 4", square butt. I couldn't get lucky enough for a 3" round butt.

As for the cylinder latch, it looks cheezy almost ghetto, that's all.

Right now I'm watching videos on them, and contemplating whether I should borrow my bud's blaster or my dad's grinder. Of course, I'll need polishing wheels for the grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Looks like you might have done good, looking forward to some targets from it.
    I figure I could have gotten it for a hundred less a couple of years ago. But all revolver prices seem to have shot up over the past few years.

$391, I call it a fair price, but not a great one.

Right now, I'm going .357 crazy for some reason. Spotted a blued speed six at the same place, they want $400, but told me they'd take $350. I'm really thinkin' about it, and the 4" blued Security Six is still for sale. We'll see how this goes.

Hey, if I have to buy a bolt/cylinder catch and/or thumbpiece nut, is the bolt something I can intall myself without messing up the timing? Or will I need to pay a gunsmith to make sure it keeps time?

Thanks