Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If obummer wins...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I keep avoiding this subject. What it came to is keeping up with the Jones... Anyone else operating at night is likely to have NV also. If it is a Gen 3 or 4, and you are using a 1 or 2 with IR illumination it is as bad as shining a large flashlight around.

To get into gear that doesn't require suplimental IR you are into Gen 3 or 4 and the price runs into the $5K range.

My conclusion was Gen 1 & 2 are great for pig hunting, but not for any serious fire fight.
    You 100% right. I was thinking of this this morning and came looking for this thread to address just that.

If you do get the NV stuff make sure it is usable without IR lights. We've got some day/night security cameras on the property that use the IR lighting to work. Through the NV scope those camera's look like giant green flood lights - very easy to see.

The most I can/could afford at the time was the Gen II+ that works OK without the IR light. Most of the time I dont bother with the IR light because on a night with lots of stars out it really is not needed. BUT, on a clowdy night it needs a bit of illumination.

Don't get any of the Gen 4 (or "filmless") night vision. The amplifyer tubes do not last very long and are very prone to breakage. Also, remember to turn on your NV equipment once a month for 10 or 15 minutes. Not powering them up can cause them to go bad.

I was thinking of glass bottles filled with gasoline and liquid soap with a rag atttached. But with the price of gas I don't know?

Quote Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
    I was thinking of glass bottles filled with gasoline and liquid soap with a rag atttached. But with the price of gas I don't know?
    Wtf? I thought this topic was on nvg? Lol good topic and also a good read,thanks!

I have often wondered about these,

http://www.xenonics.com/SuperVision/

Last time I really looked at night vision I looked into these. They looked pormising at the time but I don't think the technology was quite there yet. They were said to have frame rate issiues and trouble when going from different levels of light. Given how foar electronics keep comming though, any one know if these are any good?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I couldn't find a price on the super vision....

And the previous replies made me think.... is there a type of ilumination that can't be seen by NV? I mean if somebody's got NV goggles on - and you have ilumination that they can't see... that would be a viable alternative if it's inexpensive. You could have this illumination set-up with motion sensors for instance. They'd be tooling along with their NV and not even realize that they're standing under a light and clearly visible.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Last time I looked into this the super vision was running around 1200. Which if it is all it is cracked up to be, sounds like a great price. I am just not sure it is as great as they make out. I don't want to spend the 1200 bucks or so to find out that it isn't that great.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    So you think nv will help you against a well armed and trained military or law enforcement? One man?
    I recently read an article about that very subject. What can one person with a handgun do against a trained military? While I don't remember the whole article the gist of it was, if one person with a handgun takes out one lone military person then he has access to that persons rifle and ammo. Now he has a handgun and rifle and ammo or grenades etc.. Now he can either arm others or take out other larger targets at longer ranges, before long one person with a gun turns into an army.
    The article was written by a former U.S. special forces expert in guerrilla warfare about how one person with a gun can change the course of a war then compared that with all the civilian owned guns in America and made a strong case for just one person with a gun. He also gave many historical examples such as Vietnam and Afghanistan and how just a few people with a gun stopped whole Armies such as the Russians in Afghanistan.
    So yes, one person with a gun can make a huge difference.
    Last edited by operator61; 10-26-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Good point there.

And when you think about how many people are already very well armed in this country... well...

My thoughts on IR illuminated scopes/goggles would paint on Hell of a target on you, especially if the bad guys are using NV.
    If I were to get a NV device, it would be a 'starlight' (?) type that amplifies ambient light.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I think you can turn the IR illuminator off? That'd basically give you a stealthy NV...

I won't be doing anything about this for a long time - so many expenses with the new place... I still don't have my office/reloading room set up yet...

Not that I'm bitchin We love it here. And the wife just got a job - hoping that works out well - 100% commision sales though. But the plan is for all of her take-home to go into a mortgage sinking savings account. We want to be able to retire someday in the foreseeable future!
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 10-27-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Better not to have an IR device in your passive system in the first place. It may get accidentally turned on and you are lit up. Passive thermal sights would solve your problem if you're in a small group w/o the "here I am" beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I think you can turn the IR illuminator off? That'd basically give you a stealthy NV...

I won't be doing anything about this for a long time - so many expenses with the new place... I still don't have my office/reloading room set up yet...

Not that I'm bitchin We love it here. And the wife just got a job - hoping that works out well - 100% commision sales though. But the plan is for all of her take-home to go into a mortgage sinking savings account. We want to be able to retire someday in the foreseeable future!
    I'm no expert on NV, but my 4 outdoor security cameras have NV w/IR illumination and the range is approx 50'. At dusk when there is still some determinable daylight and before the IR bulbs activate, everything is visible, especially things that have a light source. After the complete loss of natural light, nothing can be seen EXCEPT things with lights like cars, porch lights and security lights on power poles.

So turning off NV goggles or scopes that depend on IR will make it impossible to see bad guys unless they have IR illumination or flashlights.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

As daylight wanes here, I am taking pics of my security monitor as day light is lost to show what is visible and what is not after dark.

Will post pics after dark.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

As you can see, NV without IR is pretty useless, unless there is a light source on the bad guys.

1st pic. still some daylight.

Daylight waning. NV kicking in.

All NV with very, very little natural light visible.

Total darkness.
    Security light as seen in lower left pic above.

Car headlights in upper left. +or- a quarter mile away. Light on ground is light from the kitchen.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Hmmm. Thanks for that. I guess you just have to spend some $$$ to get the real deal. And as I said....

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Why I've avoided it... If you want real NV, you are spending what .gov does, about $3k to$5K...

ouch

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Yep...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

IR illuminators are for when you're inside and there is no starlight or street light glow to use in magnifying to creat an image. Any Night vision device less than a Gen 2+ is about useless from what I've seen. They have gen 4 now, but I had read about some reliability issues with Gen 4 amplifier tubes burning out early. Gen 3 seems to be the best and most reliable.

It all costs big money some bigger than others. Then there's Thermal Vision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12