Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If obummer wins...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Question If obummer wins...

I've seen some posts on other boards where people are asking "what gun to buy if obummer wins the election?".

Well, my reply was don't wait... get what you need now if you need it.

And my second comment was that I'd probably buy some decent NV equipment/compatible sighting as that's one hole in my prepps.

Being able to operate at night is a huge tactical advantage...

So, you guys that are UP on this please give some input at to what to look at.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I've seen some posts on other boards where people are asking "what gun to buy if obummer wins the election?".

And my second comment was that I'd probably buy some decent NV equipment/compatible sighting as that's one hole in my prepps.

I went with a 5 power Gent II+ rifle scope. I should have done it diffirently. Get a good Gen II or better one power that can be used in multiple applications. Something that could be attached to headgear so you can operate hands free at night but could also be attached to your rifle in combination with a scope would be much better.

That's what I was thinking.... go with a personal NV unit(s) and just be sure to have enough NV compatible sights.

Bluntforce, I agree to have that covered but I think being dark capable is also very important if you've got the basics covered...

I'm focusing on simple things like revolvers. I figure once the commie in chief signs over our rights, they'll be in big demand for the futhure.

What type of threat do you believe you will employ your nv capabilities against?

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    What type of threat do you believe you will employ your nv capabilities against?
    Uh, the kind that comes at night. Obviously.

Ask yourself what will transpire if obummer wins the election. Ask yourself what he's already done and what he will do if he's got nothing to lose politically.

About the only thing that I am really deficient in is the capability to sight my weapons at night. That's a hole in the armor.

Uh, the kind that comes at night. Obviously.

Ask yourself what will transpire if obummer wins the election. Ask yourself what he's already done and what he will do if he's got nothing to lose politically.

About the only thing that I am really deficient in is the capability to sight my weapons at night. That's a hole in the armor.
    So you think nv will help you against a well armed and trained military or law enforcement? One man?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Illuminated optics and detachable flashlight mounts can be a cheaper way to give yourself night capabilities.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Gonna buy me a bullet for my gun...hmmm, maybe I should get one of them there new fangled guns where you can load more than one bullet at a time.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    So you think nv will help you against a well armed and trained military or law enforcement? One man?
    Where are you getting that?

If you would like to make a case for being unprepared, that is fine, but you are attempting to take this thread OT.

So, comment on the topic or find some other post to comment in. The question at hand is what NV equipiment do you recommend?

Or at least in general, what kind of configuration... personal or weapons mounted... that kind of thing.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 07-15-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Illuminated optics and detachable flashlight mounts can be a cheaper way to give yourself night capabilities.
    Well, yes but it doesn't replace the NV.

I was hoping that replies would be more towards suggested equipment or configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Gonna buy me a bullet for my gun...hmmm, maybe I should get one of them there new fangled guns where you can load more than one bullet at a time.

Yes Grump. That would be a good start, though I believe that your Garand qualifies as such...

I am not qualified to "recommend" something, as I have very limited first-hand knowledge.

However, I was recently looking into night vision myself. After some online research/shopping, I've decided that a monocular like the ATN NVM-14. It's just so versatile. It can be used as a hand-held unit, or with various accessories, it can be head mounted or mounted behind your existing weapon scopes.

As far as which Gen to go with. I've never been a fan of Gen I, they just aren't impressive at all. Personally I'd go with a Gen 3 if I could afford it, and I'm seriously considering the new "White Phosphor Technology". It seems to have the resolution of a Gen 3 but the picture is black and white vs. black and green. It seems like it would be easier for my eyes to pick up the contrast better. But I'm no expert.

Sounds reasonable. Have you sourced these? Have a vendor to recommend?

I think a head-mount unit would be the best - can get you around hands free and then allow you to sight your compatible optics as well.

The weapons mounted type are great but limited to that gun and not feasible for using to maneuver or spot things on the move.

I guess it really depends on what you intend to use it for. Tactically, it might be best to use it with a hands free head mount. For taking down some hogs or coyotes after dark, an adapter mounting it behind your weapon sight would probably be best. Because the particular unit I'm interested in is modular like that, one could adapt the NV to the job one intends. When I get my NV (won't be for awhile, got other things more important to spend money on right now), I'll be getting the accessories to do both.

As to where to pick it up... I've had good luck with Opticsplanet.com. They tend to have things cheaper than most places, free shipping on orders over a certain amount, and they ship it out pretty fast (if it is in stock). It's where I bought my Vortex Viper PST rifle scope.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Pulsar Digisight N550 Digital Night Vision Riflescope 76316

Have you looked at one of these? It works in daylight & is equivalent to Gen2.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/pulsar-d...iflescope.html

Specifications for Pulsar Digisight Digital Night Vision Scope:
    Generation: Digital Magnification: 4.5x
    Objective lens diameter: 50mm
    Field of view: 5.2 angular degrees
    Eye relief: 67mm
    Exit pupil: 6mm
    Resolution: 50 lines per mm
    Max. detection range, normal night time conditions (quarter moon): 400 yards
    Diopter setting: +-3.5 diopter
    Close-up range: from 5 yards to infinity
    Power Supply: 6 Volt (4 x AA)
    Input Power Supply: 3.7-6 Volts DC
    Water intrusion rating: IP46 (IEC 60529)
    Operating Temperature: -10 to +35 degrees C (+14 to +95 degrees F)
    Dimensions: 13.4 in. x 3.7 in. x 3.7 in.
    Weight: 33.5 oz. (2.1 lbs.)
    Operating time (without/with IR): 12 hours / 9 hours

Features of Pulsar Digisight Digital Night Vision Riflescope:

Durable night vision rifle scope
    Magnifies 4.5 times
    Built-in IR illuminator
    Numerous quick and easy functions
    USB port
    Video in/out port
    Screen brightness adjustment
    Last edited by sevlex; 09-07-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Thanks AKJ and another Opticsplanet recommendation. No, haven't check that... yet - but I like the versatility of the NVM-14...

$3K ouch. That's a nice and versitile monocular but wow - more than I can spend. The $1300 products are even stretching but I know NV is pricey.

You'd think somebody would come up with a good 2Gen package deal for under $1K... monocular, headgear and stantag mount.

$3K ouch. That's a nice and versitile monocular but wow - more than I can spend. The $1300 products are even stretching but I know NV is pricey.

You'd think somebody would come up with a good 2Gen package deal for under $1K... monocular, headgear and stantag mount.
    Prices on NV gear seems to be on the increase. IIRC I paid around 1400 for my genII+ scope. It's now around 1600 for an equivilant. I suspect that our continuied wars has something to do with that.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I keep avoiding this subject. What it came to is keeping up with the Jones... Anyone else operating at night is likely to have NV also. If it is a Gen 3 or 4, and you are using a 1 or 2 with IR illumination it is as bad as shining a large flashlight around.

To get into gear that doesn't require suplimental IR you are into Gen 3 or 4 and the price runs into the $5K range.

My conclusion was Gen 1 & 2 are great for pig hunting, but not for any serious fire fight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast