Thread: New here with some questions looking for advise & suggestions

New here with some questions looking for advise & suggestions

About 8-9 months ago I got a WASR 10 AK-47 and modified it with several add-on one of which was a Leapers AK-47 TriRail Tactical See Thru Scope Mount. I honestly didn't think about it changing the Point of Impact whenever I removed it to clean the weapon. I currently have it topped with a TruGlo Dual Color Red Dot Scope but I've been thinking of changing it for a more compact tactical sccope. But I've had several people tell me to first scrap the TriRail and replace it with the original dust cover and get a Leapers UTG 3rd Generation AK-47 Side Scope Mount. So my first question in this. Should I replace the TriRail for the side mount? My secound question is what would be a good compact scope? Something in the 1-4, 2-7 or even 3-9 variables. The reason I'm looking at variables is because I'm near sighted and I would like the magnification option. I was looking at some the Leapers, NcStars and Aim Sports but have also been told these are junk. Also, I'm retired living on a fixed income so I'm kind of limited on my spending with the max being no more then say $200. Thanks.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I perfer the more traditional side mount scopes...

http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes.html

If you go high end USA scopes and a much better rail they might be better, but the Russian stuff gives good service in my book.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Welcome to the boards.
    Should I replace the TriRail for the side mount?
    There's a third option for the rail replacement.

Texas Weapons Systems Dog Leg Scope Rail(AK47 & AK74 variants)

Rail costs $139.99.
    Opptional rear peep sight costs $39.99.
    Add 8.25% sales tax if you live in Texas and don't order it from somewhere out of your home state.

This is the ONLY receiver cover replacement rail system that will hold zero properly when you open it for cleaning.
    I have one on my Norinco and it works exactly as advertised.
    The rail replaces the rifles rear sight so you really do need the peep if you ever take the scope off for shooting irons only.
    If you never shoot irons you can get by just fine without it until later on(or never).

A side mount should probably hold zero just about as good though.

NcStars
    I've read/heard those are pretty low end on the quality scale.

Thanks for your suggestions but those scopes and that Texas Weapons System is a little out of my budget. I might however get the Leapers Side Mount. What other compact scopes would you suggest? Like I said I'd like something in the 1-4, 2-7 or even 3-9 variables simply because I am near sighted and with the different power settings on the variable scopes I'd be able to see targets better out to say 300-400 yards. I just need to stay within my budget of say $200 for a good quality scope so any other suggest i.e. manufactures would be helpful. Thanks again.

Walmart has the 4x24 for $261...

scope & mount...

I've picked up side mount Belerus mounts for $40 and 8x scopes for $100 at guns shows. It looks like prices have gone up...
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 07-25-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1winnen View Post
    I honestly didn't think about it changing the Point of Impact whenever I removed it to clean the weapon.
    Dust cover scope mounts change POI after each shot (i.e. they don't fit tightly enough).

Use the Russian side mount. It works well and (in my opinion) is even superior to the MIL-1913 American style rail.

If you want a really good red dot sight, get a Russian Kobra (click the picture for a link):

They are selling it for $199 and it has several good features:

* Four different reticles (a chevron, a dot, an inverted T and a combo chevron+dot for close targets)
    * Uses two AA cells (which you can buy in LITHIUM = lower weight, excellent cold weather performance and 6X to 8X lifetime)
    * Dimmable in 16 steps using pulse width modulation (no "rheostat" to waste battery power)
    * Built in Russian side mount (no extra hardware to buy)
    * Fits the rifle properly and holds excellent zero

(note I have NO affiliation with that company - I tell you this stuff because I have a Kobra myself).

Note: The company says that the sight uses a "low power laser" to project a "holographic reticle" on the sight. This is incorrect.

The reticle is a light emitting diode (LED), NOT a laser, and the reticle is not a hologram, it's a reflection.

Therefore, unlike real laser/holographic sights (such as the EOTech), the reticle will NOT be clearly visible on a damaged, cracked or partially missing front sight glass.

As far as *I* am concerned, this is better because a laser (to my eyes) causes severe "speckle" effect and I cannot use a laser based weapons sight.

They also say it uses 3 AA cells... wrong. It uses 2.

Good luck, and welcome to Gunsnet!

(edit to add): Here's a snapshot of the Kobra on my rifle so you can see how it looks mounted:

Last edited by Krupski; 07-25-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Here is a 8x w/ mount for $250...

http://militarygunsupply.com/index.p...roducts_id=315

I have a Russian Cobra as was mentioned earlier. I have it mounted on an SAR2. It works flawlessly and has been thru over 2000 cycles and still works great. Mine came with a small rubber "hood" that is attached the front of the screen. The light intencity settings are also very helpful and work from extreme sunlight to just before dark. I bought mine from CDNN back in 04' for $109.99, guess they have gone up since then. Overall it is built like a tank and was obviously intended for combat use......................

Quote Originally Posted by RAY1946 View Post
    I have a Russian Cobra as was mentioned earlier. I have it mounted on an SAR2. It works flawlessly and has been thru over 2000 cycles and still works great. Mine came with a small rubber "hood" that is attached the front of the screen. The light intencity settings are also very helpful and work from extreme sunlight to just before dark. I bought mine from CDNN back in 04' for $109.99, guess they have gone up since then. Overall it is built like a tank and was obviously intended for combat use......................
    I like the dot plus chevron reticle. At "battle zero" (25 yards) the dot is dead-on. Closer targets are right on the tip of the chevron.

I did a lot of experimenting to find the proper "battle zero" for my rifle and the 7.62x39 round by making test shots at varying distances and measuring how far above and below the line of sight the impacts were.

My goal was to keep the "above" error and the "below" error the same magnitude.

I ended up with a battle zero of 25 yards and a max error of + or - 4 inches around the line of sight.

So, basically if I can see it, I can kill it!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!