Thread: inspect a smith 586 before buying. will be for sale $475

inspect a smith 586 before buying. will be for sale $475

likely will be buying a 6" smith brushed nickel finish. some wear near muzzle.
    how can i tell if it's not shot out? i know nothing about revolvers.
    will be for sale $475. partial trade for ar, ak mags ammo. 9 ammo. houston, tomball woodlands area.
    thanks
    admit nothing
    deny everything
    make counter accusations

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Look at the rifling in the barrel to see if it's shot out. Frankly I don't think anybody can afford enough ammo to shoot out a modern revolver. If the rifling is square at the edges it's just fine.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Make sure the timing of the cylinder is still tight...the cylinder should lock up tight (and be in line with the barrel) when the hammer comes down. Keep your finger on the trigger after the hammer falls. Try gently rotating the cylinder with the hammer down and the trigger still pulled. The cylinder should be tight. It's ok if it moves a little after you release the trigger. Make sure the cylinder crane is flush with the frame when it's closed, too.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Check for end shake and push off. End shake is the amount of movement (fore and aft) in the cylinder. With the cylinder shut and the hammer down try and move the cylinder forward and back. A little movement is fine ut if it moves a lot that's not good. To check for push off cock the hammer and push forward on the back of the hammer with your thumb, If the hammer drops then it's likely someone has been messing with the internals. To check the cylinder timing slowly cock the hammer while watching the cylinder turn. The cylinder latch should lock the cylinder in place just as the hammer reaches full cock.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

or you could just buy a used Ruger and not worry about it

just kidding, hope it's a good one and you enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    or you could just buy a used Ruger and not worry about it

just kidding, hope it's a good one and you enjoy it
    i wasn't shopping for this one. getting a hella deal and will prolly flip it to help fund an ak
    hehe
    admit nothing
    deny everything
    make counter accusations

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question

Something about your description just caught my eye. The 586 was never offered in a "brushed nickel" finish according to my Standard catalog of S&W 3rd edition. It was either blue or standard nickel. However, they did do a special production run in 1989 in a "bead blast" finish. 2,500 with a 6" bbl and 2,500 with the 4" barrel. Product code was 103592 for the 6" version. Without a box with an intact end label that probably won't help you much. If it's a 586-3 which came out in 1988 then the one your looking at may be one of these "special production" pieces. Can't say that I've ever seen a "bead blast" 586 so I don't know if it pertains to the blue or nickel finish? Anyway I thought I'd pass this along. You might actually be looking at something that, while it may not be in the rare category it might be less then common place.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Just want to add to inspect the forcing cone for cracks - it does happen with Smiths.

That's a great deal on an excellent condition example - especially if Richard is right about the bead blast model.... cool!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

well the deal went south.
    and the bitch was the guy was planning to sell it for $300!
    the guy evidently got cold feet. we were supposed to meet b4 work @ 6:15.
    i'm ready with cash. no call. i see him at work. he says he tried to call. i ask if he has it? no he dont.
    i tell him i'll follow him home. he says he and his wife had a fight about it being in his name still. later i remember him previously saying he got it from a friend. i confront him about these conflicting facts. he gets a little flustered. i get pissed and walk away. he knows i'm a little pissed.
    later he says i can follow him to his place in bfe and get it.
    i decline.
    fkn flakes. smh

but thanks for the comments folks
    admit nothing
    deny everything
    make counter accusations