Thread: 700X in the 1911..

700X in the 1911..

Been loading for my 1911's and 2011's for many years, and recently tried IMR 700X under 230 gr. lead bullets. Outstanding consistant results over the chronograph, and accurate. Used Winchester and Hodgdon powders in the past...
    4.4 grains gives me 751 fps with a 9 fps extreme spread with 15 shots fired. 15 lb. recoil spring in a moth balled Les Baer custom build pistol i put together 20 some years ago. Loaded with a 550B Dillon that is even older than the pistol...Anybody else use this powder, its been a favorite for trap league loads for me for a long time...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No I couldn't say I have used that one ever. I use a lot of Accurate #5, 7 and 9 for various handgun rounds. Also I've used a small ton of Bullseye.

I had a big supply from loading shot shells. It never worked well for me high pressures to velocity in the ACP. I use Win 231 mostly. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by mgandy View Post
    Been loading for my 1911's and 2011's for many years, and recently tried IMR 700X under 230 gr. lead bullets. Outstanding consistant results over the chronograph, and accurate. Used Winchester and Hodgdon powders in the past...
    4.4 grains gives me 751 fps with a 9 fps extreme spread with 15 shots fired. 15 lb. recoil spring in a moth balled Les Baer custom build pistol i put together 20 some years ago. Loaded with a 550B Dillon that is even older than the pistol...Anybody else use this powder, its been a favorite for trap league loads for me for a long time...
    Welcome to Gunsnet!

A question: Why do you use a 15 lb. spring? A stock 1911 spring is 16 lb. and they work a LOT better with a 20 lb. spring.

If I had a 15 lb. spring in my 1911 pistols, they wouldn't work!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!