Thread: Norinco NHM 91

Norinco NHM 91

Hi there. I am considering purchasing a used Norinco NHM-91 rifle posted on Gunbroker. The price is $679.00. Examining the pictures on the rifle I see that there is some cracking on the thumbhole buttstock near the receiver. Are these stocks easily removed to be repaired or replaced with another stock. To remain compliant witht he Federal law if the thumbhole stock is replaced with a pistol grip and separate buttstock there has to be a number of U.S. made parts installed is that correct. The gun has one more day on the auction and then it finishes. I contacted the business and they told me to get some info I have to phone back tomorrow to talk to the guy who does the listings as it is separate from their store. The Gunshop is Double Eagle Pawnbrokers in Spokane. I would like to drive down there and check it out first hand. I have always shot my Tula made SKS and my Norinco SKS so I like the 20 inch barrel this rifle has. Looks like a nice rifle. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Cracking of the Bush-hole stock in the area around where it bolts to the rear tang is almost normal. I have more than a couple of stocks that I have had to glue back together in the area around the tang that it bolts to.

The price of nearly $700 is unfortunately what they are selling for these days. I hate to say this, but like everything else they are going up rapidly, so in a year this might be a steal.

Replacing the stock is simple, just a couple of screws hold all stocks in place. If you replace it, be aware that the Chinese used thicker metal in their receivers, so if you install a European stock you will have to do some fitting. If you are good with a file or dremel it won't be a problem. The problem comes from the most stupid of firearm laws ever written, known as 922(r) and Title 27 CFR 478.39, you cannot have more than 10 imported parts in any rifle that you convert or otherwise modify from one form to another. The sad part is most people take what is arguably the best trigger group out of their Chinese rifle and install a US one that has a worse feel, all in the name of meeting a codified federal regulation (CFR) that no one agrees to, ATF nor the courts have so far charged anyone with violating it, or even checked a long gun to verify compliance to the parts count. That said, I would recommend changing the complete wood set with a US one for three countable parts, and use a magazine that has a US floor plate and follower. If you thread the muzzle, use a US muzzle device for total compliance.

Just for those who worry, my normal disclaimer, I do not in any way advocate the intentional violation of any law regardless as to how stupid and ineffective it is.

Hi there. Nice to get the information details on the regulations. Yes I was also looking at just replacing the original wood if needed with another replacement stock as it would keep with the regs as well as simplify things if the stock was not just repaired to prevent the crack from worsening. I am aware of the market trends and with the limited number of these guns there will always be a good demand so it is an investment as well as these guns will not be imported again in the foreseeable future. I like the longer barrelled Ak variants I imagine the blast is tamed somewhat like my SKS as my ears can only take so much. I have an AG 42 B Swedish that I bought a spare barrel for as I wanted to hack off the muzzle break as that thing is like a bloody cannon and it is a 6.5 X 55. Accurate rifle and with the 10 round clip it can really make some noise that is ear shattering loudenboomer. Still have the spare barrel as I rarely shoot the surplus weapon. It was bought from the guy who originally got it surplus. I also picked up my 1896 Mauser made in 1906 from the same guy and talk about a work of artistry. Swedish Steel on the bolt and follower looks brand new and it was made 106 years ago. Wow. Anyways thanks again for the feedback and needed information. Regards.