Thread: Mosin Nagant 91/30 with SA stamp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mosin Nagant 91/30 with SA stamp

I've had a Mosin Nagant 91/30 for about 20 years. I deceided to go through the safe and research some of the old WWII weapons. Mine is a Tula model 91/30 with 1940 year stamp. SA is stamped on the right side of the receiver and again on the left beside the serial number. The receiver is round and it has the Russian globe front site. The receiver and bolt have matching numbers. The mag well and butt plate are different. I found the Finnish "D" also stamped on top of the receiver. The metal and wood are excellent with very little handling marks or wear. The lower portion of the stock appears to be one piece. The barrel is bright and clean. I know you probably need to see the gun, but is this a Finnish capture 91/30 and is it more valuable than your basic 91/30?

I also have a Mod 44 from the IIzhevsk arsenal that had been refurbed at the Ukraine, dated 1946. It is in excellent condition.

Thanks for any information on these rifles.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum!!

Yes, the SA stamp denotes capture and issue by Finland. To me it's a plus as there are countless Russian 91/30's for every Finn capture or manufatured 91/30. I've got a Finn capture, "41" stamped 91/30 with plenty of wear and character, (been there, done that look) and it's my favorite.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Super Awesome!
    For more info:
    http://7.62x54r.net/
    http://mosinnagant.net/

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The round receiver 91-30 with Finnish markings and the round front hooded sight is one of the more rare Finnish Mosin Nagant weapons. It is way more valuable than a Russian 91-30, a real keeper if you are into collecting. It probably has a heavier Finnish stock put on it. A photo of your Mosin's would be nice and help in identifying notable features. The D refers to the chambering and bore dimensions that can use .311" diameter Russian ammo. Initially the Finns used .308 diameter barrels. This prevented them from using millions of captured Russian rounds of ammo. Eventually they settled on the same bore specs as the Russians so that they could utilize the ammo they kept capturing and to make uniform all the weapons in the Finnish arsenal.

The M44 is not overly special. Now if you had a 1943 dated M44 that would be a real collectable!
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 08-11-2012 at 11:08 PM.

THanks for the info. I also found the tag that was attached to the weapon when I purchased it. It is a dark brown heavy paper attached to the weapon with a brown string.
    It says:
    (Front side)
    Malli ___________________________ No 1672
    Syop.aste: 3 Kal. alle 7.72 Kartiom: alle 905
    Vatmistanut (marked thru)
    Korjannut _______________ pvm 13 1 1945
    Tarkastanut Vatmistatan
    Korjaajan puolesta ____________
    pvm 12 1 1945
    Huom _____________________________

Back side is similar but nothing was filed in.

Last edited by texascamper; 08-12-2012 at 11:04 AM.