Thread: Im looking for a nice sub compact in 40 cal but cant decide?What do you guys carry?

Im looking for a nice sub compact in 40 cal but cant decide?What do you guys carry?

I just sold my Yamaha Banshee for$2600.00 and Im now looking for a nice lightweight compact carry handgun in 40 cal. And a gun that will keep my pinky from having nowhere to rest. I tried the CZ rami but its too heavy, the Glock 23 was ok. I dont know, what handgundo you pack around thats lightweight , good quality and dependable?

Its not a 40 but been eyeballing the XD-S.Would rather have the 45acp anyway.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'm saving for a Glock 26 as my next carry gun.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I use a Glock 19 the most for CCW use. The 26 or 27 Glocks require the extended mag floor plate so that one's pinky finger does not dangle in space. The 19 / 23 sized Glocks take care of this for me without using the special mag floor plates.

I use a Kahr cw-40, way slimmer and lighter than a glock .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I use a Glock 19 the most for CCW use. The 26 or 27 Glocks require the extended mag floor plate so that one's pinky finger does not dangle in space. The 19 / 23 sized Glocks take care of this for me without using the special mag floor plates.
    The reason I was looking at a Glock 26 was because my XD-9 is just too big and heavy to comfortably carry. The grip presses against a chair when I sit down and twists the holster, tightening my belt beyond tolerability. Plus its always catching on my shirt when I stand. Outside the waist is even worse. I would never attempt to carry that way without a winter coat.

Now I'm questioning if the 26 will even be comfortable enough to really carry. And I really don't want to go down to a pocket pistol. It just seems impossible to comfortably conceal anything, and I've tried every kind of holster except shoulder rig or an in-the-waist made of only Kydex.

Here is my current rig:
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 08-14-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    The reason I was looking at a Glock 26 was because my XD-9 is just too big and heavy to comfortably carry. The grip presses against a chair when I sit down and twists the holster, tightening my belt beyond tolerability. Plus its always catching on my shirt when I stand. Outside the waist is even worse. I would never attempt to carry that way without a winter coat.

Now I'm questioning if the 26 will even be comfortable enough to really carry. And I really don't want to go down to a pocket pistol. It just seems impossible to comfortably conceal anything, and I've tried every kind of holster except shoulder rig or an in-the-waist made of only Kydex.

I carry a 26 and also have an XD40 compact.

That extra inch or two makes a big difference when trying to conceal carry.

Here's a pic from another forum comparing the 27 to a 19 which is comparaple to the XD service models.

Also from the same post,

"At the back, the Pearce extension doesn't add any height to the 27, and the 27 is about 3/4 inch shorter.

There are a couple of other differences besides size. The compact and subcompact do not have the same shape backstrap. The 27 has stippling higher on the its backstrap. Also, the placement of the fingergrooves is not the same. The subcompact actually has more room for the top finger on the grip.
    "

And it feels odd at first but actually when you get used to it shooting with your pinky tucked under isn't that bad, if you just can't deal with mag extensions.

I've tried a variety of holsters and the one I've come to use most is the MIC Razor's Edge.

These are a very minimalist type holster that is surprisingly comfortable and secure IWB.

Loop the cord around your belt and just slip it in your wasteband Mexican style and let your shirt cover it up, virtually no printing at all for me with or without a pinky extension.

I'm sure it's a lot more comfy and easier to forget about than that big leather shield you're currently using.

Dayum, that thing looks like it weighs more than the gun!!
    Last edited by weevil; 08-14-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    I carry a 26 and also have an XD40 compact.

That extra inch or two makes a big difference when trying to conceal carry.

Here's a pic from another forum comparing the 27 to a 19 which is comparaple to the XD service models.

Also from the same post,

"At the back, the Pearce extension doesn't add any height to the 27, and the 27 is about 3/4 inch shorter.

There are a couple of other differences besides size. The compact and subcompact do not have the same shape backstrap. The 27 has stippling higher on the its backstrap. Also, the placement of the fingergrooves is not the same. The subcompact actually has more room for the top finger on the grip.
    "

And it feels odd at first but actually when you get used to it shooting with your pinky tucked under isn't that bad, if you just can't deal with mag extensions.

I've tried a variety of holsters and the one I've come to use most is the MIC Razor's Edge.

These are a very minimalist type holster that is surprisingly comfortable and secure IWB.

Loop the cord around your belt and just slip it in your wasteband Mexican style and let your shirt cover it up, virtually no printing at all for me with or without a pinky extension.

I'm sure it's a lot more comfy and easier to forget about than that big leather shield you're currently using.

Dayum, that thing looks like it weighs more than the gun!!
    Hey thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to try a G26. If that don't work I'll move down to a single stack.

Yeah, I got sold on the hybrid holsters. After realizing that a pancake holster wasn't going to work for any of my pistols without a jacket, I thought I needed to try IWB. Its really only bad when sitting, and some more adjustment has helped that some. Bottom line is I need a pistol with a shortened grip for concealed carry, which kinda sucks cause I like huge guns.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Hey thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to try a G26. If that don't work I'll move down to a single stack.

Yeah, I got sold on the hybrid holsters. After realizing that a pancake holster wasn't going to work for any of my pistols without a jacket, I thought I needed to try IWB. Its really only bad when sitting, and some more adjustment has helped that some. Bottom line is I need a pistol with a shortened grip for concealed carry, which kinda sucks cause I like huge guns.

Oh me too, I love big heavy guns but at the shooting range not on my hip all day. Love my 1911s and steel frame 9mm's like my CZ and Witness, these kind of pistols are just a real joy to take shooting.

Just recently traded for a Star Model 30 MI, talk about a big heavy hunk of steel especially for a 9mm. What a monster weight wise, but you couldn't ask for a better shooting pistol. The thing feels like you're shooting a .22. I traded a Kel-Tec P11 for it, that was just the opposite. The P11 is great for concealing and carrying but you'd be hard pressed to find a nastier pistol to actually shoot. After a couple or three mags it would start to hurt my hand and control is iffy at best the thing kicked like a Missouri mule.

That's the trouble with those ultra-light super-thin itty-bitty pistols they're a nightmare to actually shoot and be able to control especially during rapid fire.

The G26 is a happy medium. Not too big and heavy to conceal comfortably and is very easy to shoot and control. Had a G27 originally but didn't care for the twisty-torquey recoil of .40 in such a small pistol. That's another plus for the Glocks it's always a snap to find a buyer for one without taking a bath on the price, very good resale values.

Anyway I'm very pleased with the 26, not the thinnest lightest pistol but as a total package of concealability and shootability it's an excellent choice. I think a lot of it has to do with the dual recoil spring system Glock came up with for the babies. It really soaks up the recoil and is also given credit for the surprising accuracy of the baby Glocks. Glock has adopted this spring system on all the new Gen 4 pistiols. Now there were some early teething problems with this system on the Gen 4 17s and 19s but it's never been a problem with the subs.

Try one I think you'll like it.
    Last edited by weevil; 08-15-2012 at 08:24 PM.

XD-9 Sub-compact, it also comes in .40 and has served me faithfully.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton