Thread: Wolf 7.62x39 Steel cased question

Wolf 7.62x39 Steel cased question

Ok I have a chance to buy 600 rounds of the steel cased 7.62x39 wolf ammo for 125.99. Now Ive heard horror stories of the steel cased stuff adding wear to your AK extractor and chamber,is this a myth ? Is the steel cased stuff older?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    It's a myth. The AK was designed to use the junk that was supplied by the Russian ammo manufacturers.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    +1 myth.

I put 3000 rnds through my AK of the steel cased. No sign of unusual wear.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Just one other thing Ive had poly coated wolf ammo start to rust living on the oregon coast ,is the steel cased 7.62 more sensitive to climate ? I live in Portland Oregon now and its kinda humid here

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    I live in the Portland area too. I keep the ammo in surplus ammo cans. No issues. I would assume it could rust under humid conditions.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

I keep my ammo in a room with a dehumidifier. Works wonders keeping old ammo new.

Forgot to mention, I have an SAR-1 that has fired over 13,000 rounds ( I stopped counting at 13K for some reason) and everything inside still looks new.

I have shot nothing else for years no problems. You save so much shooting cheap ammo even if you did drop an extractor the ammo saved far more then the cost of a new extractor.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sar32 View Post
    Just one other thing Ive had poly coated wolf ammo start to rust living on the oregon coast ,is the steel cased 7.62 more sensitive to climate ? I live in Portland Oregon now and its kinda humid here
    The polymer coated stuff is not very rust resistant at all. The green colored Lacquered ammo, which is the original finish and milspec for the Soviets, is a much better rust proofer for the steel cases. And as others have said, wear on an AK extractor is myth. The weapons were designed to shoot steel cased ammo, not brass.

was_peacemaker
    + 100
    I have fed that stuff through 3 AK's and 5 SKS with no problems. Its like those two rifle platforms eat the stuff and beg for more.

ive shot about 500 rds in mine no wear at all, does anybody has a suggestion of what is the brand they use?

Quote Originally Posted by SulFuR View Post
    ive shot about 500 rds in mine no wear at all, does anybody has a suggestion of what is the brand they use?
    Welcome to the group !!!

When it comes to 7.62x39 I use the cheapest ammo I can find. Just be careful to verify if the ammo corrosive or non-corrosive. All of the commercial Russian is non-corrosive (Wolf, the Bears, etc.) Price is my guide when it comes to my AKs.

Just be careful with 5.56x45/.223 as the newer polymer coated stuff has a habit of gumming up the chambers of any rifle, be them AR-15, SAR-3, or Norinco 84S. The old lacquer coated stuff, although messier actually feeds more reliably.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SulFuR View Post

Many like Vympel/Golden Tiger as their first choice followed by Barnaul/Uly produced brands like Brown Bear IIRC and finally Tula/Wolf. But really, there's not that much difference between them. I have mostly Wolf with a selection of "other" to include all kinds that aren't even imported any longer like Czech stuff.

There's another contingent that really like the Yugo brass cased stuff the best and don't mind the corrosive, sure-fire primers. This is "better" ammo but you do have to clean after shooting - water, etc...
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 09-06-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~