Thread: Little help on .223 for white tail hunting.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011

Little help on .223 for white tail hunting.

So I've read a lot of the debates over the years on using .223 on deer. I know some states have laws against it but my questions are not legal, just practical. My girlfriend wants to hunt for the first time this year so I've got to pick out a rifle for her to use now so she can get some trigger time in over the next couple months. I've got two rifles in mind sitting in my safe... a Marlin 336 and a Ruger Mini-14 ranch (581). I'd prefer to set her up with the 30-30 but she is not a fan of having to drop the hammer after loading it and #2 she is slightly recoil sensitive. She really likes the Mini but I'm not really crazy about the idea of using .223 on deer.
    I do have 4-5 cases of the Hornady 55gr SP (not the vmax, the conventional SP) that I have used to great effect on Fox and Coyotes. Anyone with experience using .223 on deer (mostly 100-140lb, not many big ones around here) have an opinion? Would you feel comfortable sending her in to the woods with a scoped mini loaded with the 55gr Hornady SP?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    So I've read a lot of the debates over the years on using .223 on deer. I know some states have laws against it but my questions are not legal, just practical. My girlfriend wants to hunt for the first time this year so I've got to pick out a rifle for her to use now so she can get some trigger time in over the next couple months. I've got two rifles in mind sitting in my safe... a Marlin 336 and a Ruger Mini-14 ranch (581). I'd prefer to set her up with the 30-30 but she is not a fan of having to drop the hammer after loading it and #2 she is slightly recoil sensitive. She really likes the Mini but I'm not really crazy about the idea of using .223 on deer.
    I do have 4-5 cases of the Hornady 55gr SP (not the vmax, the conventional SP) that I have used to great effect on Fox and Coyotes. Anyone with experience using .223 on deer (mostly 100-140lb, not many big ones around here) have an opinion? Would you feel comfortable sending her in to the woods with a scoped mini loaded with the 55gr Hornady SP?
    I'm going to approach this a bit differently than you might like. What ranges do you anticipate her taking the shot at? Does she have the skill to make the correct shot placement at that range? Which gun can she shoot most accurately? Recoil sensitivity shouldn't be a major consideration in the choice as she will probably only be taking one or two shots at a time. It won't be like going plinking and running through a box or two of ammo. With correct shot placement I am sure the 223 could take a deer. Personally, I would want her to use the biggest caliber, within reason, that she could shoot accurately enough to make the correct shot placement.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

My Grandfather culled one or two deer every year out of the herd on his place and never used anything but a .22LR, so the .223 will take a deer. Shot placement is more critical with lighter rounds.

If yoou had a fast twist rifle, a heavier bullet in the .223 would likely be better.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    If yoou had a fast twist rifle, a heavier bullet in the .223 would likely be better.
    Excellent point.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I would recommend the 60 grain Nosler Partition for deer and practic, practice, practice - so she can make a good shot.

Also, if you handload, you might consider some mild handloads in the 30-30. A 150 grain bullet at 1800 fps is pretty low recoil but plenty for a small deer - better than a .223 IMHO.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

IMHO, a 30-06 class rifle is overkill for whitetails. I've seen shots in the breast and butt that splintered the spine and ruined all the meat in the animal. I think the .243 class rifles are about right... .284 is a good rifle also.

Get her a HR handy rifle in .243 and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Get her a HR handy rifle in .243 and be done with it.
    +1 if you have the option of getting her into .243 world.

Straight shooting, virtually no recoil, and effective enough to down a white tail humanely.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Got an AK or SKS. Soft Point 7.62x39 will be like 30-30 out to 125 yards more or less and have a lot less recoil.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i see everyone else beat me to it, but...

.243 winchester.

one of the most underrated calibers going, imo.

fast, flat shooting, negligible recoil, enough power for derr sized game, 2 legged varmints, and still works well down to groundhog sized prey.

ive shot some 308 rifle that were tack driver, but ive also shot some that couldnt hit the side of a barn. same with 223, and '06, ect... but i HAVE NEVER seen a 243 rifle that was not a tack driver (with good handloads)
    Last edited by deth502; 08-21-2012 at 09:50 PM.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    .223 with the appropriate bullet will take deer nicely. Stay away from the hollow points and varmint bullets. They will make a mess on impact and may not get to the vitals. Partitions from Nosler, Sierra Prohunter or a Barnes TTSX will work fine.

I'm not going to mention shot placement, as that should go without saying for any shot you make, with any caliber.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011

Thanks for all the advice, after giving it some additional thought... Her Birthday is in a couple weeks and Rifle season isn't until November. I'm going to take her rifle shopping for her birthday. Probably going to steer her toward a .243 Bolt or a 30-30 lever. But I'll wait and see what she feels the most comfortable with.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

depends on where your hunting at.

30-30 will have a bit more recoil, due to the larger bullets used (newtons law)

around here, in pa, most places theres a lot of close dense bush with a lot of undergrowth, where a 75 yard shot is long, and theres likely some scrub brush or saplings between you and the deer, a 30-30 is the better choice. the round nose bullets are less affected by any twig they would hit on the way, and the heavier bullet, while not as good a trajectory for long range, does a lot of damage at those ranges.

if i go over the mountains to the farm towns, where there is a lot of clear land with a few large trees, no big undergrowth and you can see for 200yd+ in most directions, the 243 is the better choice.

but, as you said, being comfortable with the rifle is one of the most important things. the greatest rifle ion the world isint going to help if you just cant shoot it comfortably.